My maintence diary (critizim, advice and kicks up the arse welcome)

Good enough weekend (I think)

hi had a good enough weekend i think, :D ate well and went horse riding, and done vibro, still not back on wii fit because weather is so fine here (well not raining) so cant face been stuck in, :mad:

was show jumping with my daughter yest and the menu gave a list of what you could put in your sandwich ham, turkey lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, & cole slaw, i had such a job explaining to the girl that i wanted it all except the ham and coleslaw on a plate instead of 2 of the fillings in a sandwich, was funny got it eventually and she charged me 3 euro,:rolleyes:

in my shop i have sweeteners over the coffee machine (for myself) but you would be suprised how many customers use them, so when i go away i hate that i have to use sugar, so yesterday i brought my sweetners with me had lovely cups of coffee!:eek:

then last night i made 2 turkey saussages and a 3 egg omlette but only with 2 yolks, onion and tomato, was lovely! :D

i absolutly ache today every muscle in my back shoulders and arms, (from horseriding) just shows the vibro plate must not be using these muscles, will have to concentrate on that, i couldnt sleep last night with ache!:mad::sigh:

hope every1 well :flirt2:

Hi Nicola,
glad you had a great weekend, sounds very energetic. I think that once I am happier with my weight next spring I will look at horseriding, even just once. I have always wanted to do it but was frightened of flattening the poor animal.
Not raining down here in Kerry either, that makes a change for us doesn't it, 3 weeks of absent rain, unheard of but not complaining.
With the vibro plate, I really don't get many aches at all, although I know it is working from a toning point of view, don't understand it but not complaining about the lack of pain LOL
Hope you have a good week this week and the aches go soon.
Doirin

Hi Nicola

Well done on your super duper weekend! Hope the muscles are not aching any longer. They do say (whoever they are), that horseriding is one of the best exercises for certain muscles.

I remember (the one occasion) I went on a horse ( a big plodder as well) and I ached for days,,and all we did for an hour was walk..hahahaha...... I bet your bum/leg muscles are really getting toned though!!!!!!!!!

ya and what i love about it is when you are on the horse you are not thinking about the washing or the dinner or anything else but the horse and what is going to happen next, it fully clears your mind of everthing but what you are doing! i love it i have to say.

It's nice you have a love of horseriding and like you say, it rids your mind of everything, esp when you are a mum, wife, and have a job as well...at least that is your way of winding down.

QUESTION!!
What are you having for brekkie???? I have finished all my shakes now, and panicking about breakfast as they all seem to be high carbs.....am I getting my knickers in a twist?????? I am PETRIFIED to eat cereal! Is that so stupid or what.

Thinking of having a quorn sausage and some mushrooms tomorrow!

Tell me I will get rid of this stupid obsession with being frightened of cereal..I used to love cereal, fruit and yoghurt before LT!!

what about a low gi ceral ? or a smoothie made with low fat yourghart and fruit? poached egg & soya & lynseed bread its also low gi?

where do I get low GI cereal.....or what is low GI? All the cereals I checked in the supermarket are really high..haha..

The others sound good!!!! Ta sweetie :)

found this hon hope it helps :)

[SIZE=+3]Some Low G.I. Breakfast Solutions[/SIZE]
aboutme_classic_vertline.gif
[SIZE=-1]Here are some ideas from The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets to Eating Low on the Glycemic Index. While it may specify egg substitute or omega-3-enriched eggs, I just use regular eggs. I wouldn't even know where to find an omega-3-enriched egg.

* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sunrise Smoothie[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

* A glass of sugar-free instant breakfast made with low-fat milk. If desired, add some frozen fruit and blend into a smoothie.

* Multigrain toast topped with natural peanut butter and sliced banana; glass of low-fat milk.

* Whole-grain pumpernickel toast topped with melted low-fat cheese; apple.

* A small whole-grain bagel or pumpernickel toast topped with light cream cheese and smoked salmon; fresh mixed fruit cup.

* A bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal topped with mixed dried fruit, a sprinkling of nuts, and low-fat milk.

* A bowl of All Bran or Bran Buds cereal topped with fresh berries and low-fat milk; hard boiled omega-3-enriched egg.

* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Blueberry Oat Bran Muffin[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]; hard-boiled omega-3-enriched egg; and orange juice.

* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Broccoli Frittata[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]; sourdough whole-wheat toast; half grapefruit.

* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Breakfast Burrito[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]; a fresh mixed fruit cup.

* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]; a glass of orange or grapefruit juice.

* Scrambled eggs (made with fat-free egg substitute or omega-3-enriched eggs), extra-lean turkey bacon, whole-grain rye toast, fresh mixed fruit cup, and a glass of low-fat milk.

* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Spring Vegetable Omelet[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]; lean smoked sausage or kielbasa; multigrain toast; and fresh strawberries.

* A parfait made with light vanilla yogurt layered with low-fat granola and chopped apples, peaches, pears or berries.

* Low-fat cottage cheese with fresh or canned (in juice) peaches or pears and a sprinkling of almonds or toasted wheat germ.[/SIZE]

and this :)

May
<LI class=liright>Low GI Breakfast Cereal

Choosing a low GI breakfast cereal

Choosing a low GI breakfast cereal is not always an easy task. There are so many healthy-seeming products on the ever-growing cereal aisle but on further inspection many of these are packed with sugar. Let’s have a look at how to select some tasty low GI breakfast cereals without spending a small fortune.
Basic rules when choosing a Low GI Breakfast Cereal:
  • Oats are the lowest GI grain so porridge made with whole oats is a great choice and anything with oats as the main ingredient (first on the list) is going to be a good start.
  • Sugar (or honey, syrup, etc) should be absent or at least way down the list. This rules out crunchy cluster-type cereals like Granola - even if made with oats they are packed with sugar. Looking at the ‘carbohydrate of which sugars’ I would steer clear of anything over 20g per 100g.
  • Whilst nuts and seeds will bring the GI of a cereal down, raisins, sultantas and especially dates will increase the sugar content and GI so don’t go too mad on these.
  • Flakes generally have a relatively high GI so opt for oat-based muesli or Oatibix rather than oat flakes (e.g. optivita) and All Bran rather than Bran Flakes or Sultana Bran.
  • Wholegrain and high-fibre cereals are likely to be lower in glycaemic index than the alternatives but this can’t be assumed so check out the other factors too.
Low-GI Breakfast Cereal Selection

There are three types of breakfast cereal that I always have in and (call me strange if you like) I can never just have one cereal in the bowl, I always like a mixture of two different types!
1. Oatibix - I don’t know the actual GI value but with 97% wholegrain oats and just 3.2g sugars per 100g this has to be a good choice. I am only talking about the full-sized bisks though - the Oatibix bites and flakes contain far more sugar (14-20g per 100g!), as do Kellogs Optivita and Nestle Oats and More.
2. All Bran - The GI of All Bran is just 30 and whilst it contains a moderate 17g sugar per 100g it provides a whopping 27g fibre, which helps to bring the GI down. I couldn’t eat it on it’s own though - definitely one to mix with something a little less heavy.
3. Muesli - With so many mueslis on the market choosing the right one is a bit of a minefield. I look for oats first on the list (it’s surprising how many are predominately wheat), sugars below 15g per 100g and fibre above 7g per 100g. This usually means selecting those with plenty of nuts and seeds but not too many raisins or dates. Oh, and I would never pay more than £3 per box - I can’t believe how much some of the gourmet ones cost for the tiniest of packets!
Here are a few Mueslis that meet the Low GI Breakfast Cereal criteria and are available in supermarkets:
  • Pertwood Organic Farm Muesli Fruit and Seeds (Approx 2.36 for 650g). This is super tasty, wheat free and has no added sugar or salt. An excellent fibre source (12.6g/100g) and 14.2g sugar per 100g
  • Dorset Cereals do a great range of different mueslis and after comparing them all I think the Simply Delicious (12g sugars, 7.4g fibre per 100g) best meets the low GI criteria. No added sugar or salt. Approx £2.62 for 850g.
  • Jordans also do a good range but the Nut and Seed Muesli seems to be by far the best option from a GI point of view (12.5g sugars and 8.6g fibre per 100g). I love the big chunks of brazil nut and have to stop myself reaching in for extras! No added salt but does contain added sugar. Approx £2.49 for 675g.
Please let us know if you have found a product that you think meets the Low GI Breakfast Cereal challenge criteria. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet found any supermarket-own brand candidates but rest assured I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled and will keep you updated.

Back to your roots Iris, have some porridge.

Have it warm, boiled with water and a little salt, then add some milk when cooked.....or
Have it warm, made with skimmed milk and add some fruit or honey.....or
Place oats in a dish overnight, add some frozen berries and milk and zap in microwave the next morning for a couple of minutes.

I love to alternate porridge with weetabix.

Hi Nic

THANKS!!!!! I have copied and printed.......hadnt thought about p-nut butter!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary
You are dead right! And stupidly, I have some in the cupboard..good old porage oats :) (have you noticed they have started to spell that way?????? I thought it was wrong, but my Scottish friend I get on the train (from Dundee), said that is the right spelling!!!! Well, you learn every day.

I have porridge mostly, and shredded wheat for a change. I make my porridge with semi-skimmed and water, and have a little honey with it, yum and it keeps me full until lunch.

well guys weighed and lost 2lb dunno how i done it! but did so feeling good ;)

yep except every1 else has outfit bought i leaving it as long as i can!

Well done Nicola - that's brilliant! xx

Back