My most relied upon foods when counting calories! - whats yours?

holly xxx

I have been calorie counting for years and there are certain foods that have become the basics that I really couldn't live without when calorie counting - here is my list and the reasons why I love each product!

WARBURTONS THINS - only 100 cals each and they are so soft and yummy - i use them for lunch time sandwiches, or i toast them and put beans or ravioli on top! they are freezable and quick to defrost when you need them!

PHILADELPHIA EXTRA LIGHT MINI TUBS - only 34 cals per tub and it saves you measuring it out or estimating the calories in the serving - i use this in sandwiches as a replacement for butter with ham and salad or whatever takes my fancy!

TESCO SWEET POTATO OVEN CHIPS - only 145 cals per 100g - ok, so these aren't cheap, but i love them at tea time with salmon or chicken and veggies- i cook mine in the actifry and they are done in 20 mins!

WEIGHT WATCHERS MEALS - a nice fast low cal option for lunch, and you can bulk them out with some veg or salad - or if its a curry one, dunk a warburtons thin in there to mop up the juices!

BIRDSEYE RICE FUSIONS - my favourite is the mediterranean one - a generous portion for only around 225 cals and gives another option to go with most anything - i have mine with chicken breast and veggies - microwave in just a few minutes! - lots of flavours to choose from - easy to keep track of cals due to ready measures portions.

LOW CAL CRISPS AND CHOCCY BARS - such as quavers, french fries, square crisps, kitkat, treat size twix bars etc - I have one low cal pack of crisps and one treat size choccy bar every evening while watching telly so that i dont feel i am missing out on treats.

AUNT BESSIES CARROT AND SWEDE MASH - only about 40 cals per serving so you can have a hefty portion to fill you up - really fast to cook and tasty! i love these with broad beans and chicken breast.

BIRDSEYE CHICKEN CHARGRILLS - only around 155 cals each depending on what flavour you go for - i love the sticky bbq ones - great with salad as a really low cal meal when you need to cut back a bit or if you are getting close to your daily cal allowance.

MUSHROOMS - super low calorie - i use them to really bulk up my home made curries and bolognese etc - bigger portions for less calories! always a winner!

EXTRA LEAN MINCE BEEF - great for cutting back the calories in bolognese and chilli etc - bulked up with loads of mushrooms of course!

there are probably loads more of these basics that i rely on every week - so i will add more as i think of them!

i would love to hear all about the foods that you really depend on to help your weight loss xxx

I love my low cal cereal bars such as alpen light bars which are only 70 cals!

Alpen Lights, Options hot choc sachets, Birds Eye vegetable steam bags, Tesco Healthy Living ready meals, Tesco Goodness fruit bags, Babybel Lights, Heinz reduced sugar beans, Staffordshire oatcakes, clementines, Galaxy Ripples - these are the things I practically live on, lol. :) xx

Alpen Lights, Options hot choc sachets, Birds Eye vegetable steam bags, Tesco Healthy Living ready meals, Tesco Goodness fruit bags, Babybel Lights, Heinz reduced sugar beans, Staffordshire oatcakes, clementines, Galaxy Ripples - these are the things I practically live on, lol. :) xx

oh yes, galaxy ripples - i forgot about those - how could i! lol xxx

For me it's, Fat free cottage cheese, spinach, whole chillies, eggs, sweet potato, 0% total yogurt, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, apples, usually a pre gym banana, beans (Most types) and half a avacado is my best friend.

When not just eating a veggie diet, turkey breast and chicken breasts are two things that I'll never get enough of. Along with tuna and white fish.

For me it's, Fat free cottage cheese, spinach, whole chillies, eggs, sweet potato, 0% total yogurt, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, apples, usually a pre gym banana, beans (Most types) and half a avacado is my best friend.

When not just eating a veggie diet, turkey breast and chicken breasts are two things that I'll never get enough of. Along with tuna and white fish.

i love chicken breast - i eat loads of it ! - i also love the fat free cottage cheese on a jacket spud.

Mini milks - 29 calories!! For the vanilla flavour at least.

40 cals chocolate drinks - salad and lots of it, Ryvita and cheese triangles.

Can't eat chocolate bars - first one would be the start of the slippery slope :)

40 cals chocolate drinks - salad and lots of it, Ryvita and cheese triangles.

Can't eat chocolate bars - first one would be the start of the slippery slope :)

I always have my chocolate with strong black coffee, so I'm not left with the chocolate taste afterwards, lol. :D xx

Crackerbreads - 19 kcal
Homemade soup - 150 kcal
Wasabi beans - 100kcal for 25g but so hot you can't eat more!!
I bulk everything up with mushrooms too!

Also we buy ostrich and springbok meat as it tastes like steak but really really low fat!!! There is a supplier near us but you can order them online too.

frozen veg - when a meal is small i add lots of veg to fill up
sweetener - i love tea and coffee, also put it in yogurt
fat free yogurt - healthy and filling and full of good stuff
salt and vinegar rice cakes - taste like salt and vinegar crisps
chickpeas and lentils - love dishes with these in as they're filling, healthy and make salads interesting
wholemeal bread - so easy to have as breakfast on the run
low fat cottage cheese - good filling snack
fruit - natures most convenient feel good snack
Moroccan seasoning - brings life to most dishes

I love most fruits and veg but find it so expensive! My husbands not a fan so I have often needed to cook 2 separate meals at a time. When working til 6 at might this isn't always possible.

I'm just over two weeks away from giving birth, following this I'm getting back on the wagon and getting to a healthy weight. Before getting pregnant I was 13 stone 5, have no idea what I am currently...

I use Options Hot Chocolate sachets at work (to keep me away from the biscuits!) and I've recently re-discovered Turkey Rashers :)

Back