My weight is not the real problem - Fat ted's mission to learn to eat properly

Fat_ted21

So I wanted to post this diary in here cos I dont actually feel like I belong to any 'diet' as such. I have dieted for ten years on and off and have never maintained a healthy weight. After a lot of soul searching in recent weeks I feel like Ive come to see the reasons why. My weight isnt the problem, its the symptom of another problem - that I dont know how to eat properly, to only eat when Im hungry and to stop when Im full. I had a bit of a moment of clarity this weekend when I filled out a calorie tracker app and realised how much I was actually eating, even healthy food I was well over 2000 cals a day. Im not even meant to have 2000!! It has never actually occurred to me the reason I am over weight is cos Ive always eaten too much!!

My plan is this, to eat sensibly, to eat the foods I enjoy, to exercise about three times a week and to have 1900 ish calories a day (this is what I need to maintain). I am not necessarily looking to lose a set amount of weight and certainly dont have any time limit set. I want to let my body find its way to a happy weight/size through learning to eat what my body needs.

Im not sure if many people will follow my diary, but I hope anyone reading this enjoys my musings as I work my way through this. Heres looking forwards to being a healthy happy ted x

Well good luck I'm sure loads of people will read and be very supportive. I think you will find a lot of people have the same problem. I know I would fill my plate and then finish every morsel till I was fit to burst.

Day one done and Im having mixed feelings about it.

I've stuck to 1850 cals today (I round everything up to the nearest five). Ive not done any exercise and honestly doubt I will cos I'm exhausted after work. Ive just started on shifts and my body has no idea whats going on!!

There was a point today where I thought it was going to be hard, I didnt think I would have enough cals left for a decent tea! But I not only had a decent tea, but a crumpet too so all good! It has been a shell shock for me in some ways too cos Ive only had enough for three meals and a little snack. In the past I have thought nothing of having that plus more and thought I was having a good day. I have been so wide of the mark so long. So Im pleased Ive taken that first of many steps.

Sineadw said:
Well good luck I'm sure loads of people will read and be very supportive. I think you will find a lot of people have the same problem. I know I would fill my plate and then finish every morsel till I was fit to burst.

Thanks for posting on my diary! Im glad to see other people have similar issues as I do x

Hi! I know exactly what the feeling is!!! I also sometimes find out I eat just for the sake of it! It makes me feel really sad and angry. I could never diet counting calories though. It would so put me off. :-/ Do u feel u "eat your emotions"? If you do, have you heard of overeaters anonymous? If you think you don't have a weight problem, but some other stuff cause ur weight gain... That could work for u. Good luck!!!! :)

Back