My weight loss diary

Hi all,

I'm 23, 6 foot 1 and around 20 stone. I was always quite big in school but lost it all in college/uni and I was down to about 14 stone when I was 19. Since graduating, my weight has crept up and up. I used to play football regularly but with work I just didn't keep up. I've tried to diet/exercise over the past few years but it's not worked or I haven't stuck to it. This time I am determined to.

This is the beginning of my journey to losing all of my weight. I'm writing this at the end of my first week - I've kept a food/diary exercise and will upload it and the end of the day (Mon - Sun). So far I've been to the gym 4 times (about to go again now, which will make it 5) and kept the calories down. I was 20.4 stone when I weighed last week, this week I am 19.11 stone. I aim to lose around 2 lbs a week so am exceeding my target greatly so far. I did try and do my first week 3 weeks ago and failed miserably, eating rubbish and not exercising. All talk and no action.

Now I've done something this week and will look to update you regularly. Any advice and tips would be great.

My first target is 19 stone, second 18 and so on, until I reach 14 stone. At a timeframe of 2 lbs a week, hopefully I'll reach each target within 7 weeks (14 lbs).

Hi 7 :) (hope you didn't mind me shortening your name!)

Sounds like you've made a brilliant start, keep going what you're doing, it's clearly working fantastically well :D

You're right to aim for a sensible loss; you'll probably find it comes off quickly at the beginning and will then slow down. But as long as the numbers are going in the right direction then that's the main thing :)

Thanks MM (can I shorten your name too?! :D) and Lift.

I've just had my main meal, and with not much else in the fridge I can plan what I'll be having tonight, so I can show you my first week's diary. Any help or suggestions with it would be great. I've alternated high calorie meals and had smaller portions. Not on any diet, just want to eat less and better.

I've also been taking Vitamin C and B Complex, one a day, simply because I know they're good for me. Heard B helps with weight loss, not sure though. Been taking C to help with my immune system, which isn't great.

Anyway, attached is the link to my diary! I've abbreviated some things so just let me know if you're not sure what they mean.

Imageshack - 64851930.jpg

p.s - how do I put the image inside my post? I used "insert image" but nothing came up in the preview :confused:
64851930.jpg

Hi FN7, Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have it all sussed!!
Well done on getting the gym sessions going and will look forward to reading all about your progress so far.

The mini goals is a great thing to do as it doesn't overwhelm you with the thought of all that effort that will be needed. A little bit at a time.

All the very best to you...:)

I think it's because you have to have a certain number of posts before you're allowed to attach pictures/images/links etc..... :)

hello

well done on your succcess already :)

I look forward to following your progress and chatting with you along the way.

You definately sound in the right frame of mind, and that's half the battle :eek:

Good luck :)

Todays observation: Dieting and exercising is so much easier when you're happy! I've eaten well so far, 2 x weetabix and semi skimmed milk (no sugar), small bowl of healthy pasta and 3 litres of water, but it's so easy to want to go home, eat rubbish/chinese and not go to the gym. Noisy neighbours last night = no sleep, plus a crap monday in work is not a good combination!

Determined to not let it get to me and just plow on. Doing a night course in college every Monday night, but so tired today I just can't face it. Could be a good thing though - I'll be going to the gym on the way home now instead of college.

I think it doesn't help that because I had such a good 1st week, losing 7 lbs, I want to replicate it this week. I know that its probably not very likely but I want to get to as close to 19 st 7 lbs as possible. Chances of me losing 4 lbs this week guys? I plan on eating less than last week and exercising every day.

I think if u keep motivated that will be a good target for u this week, I don't see any reason why u can't do it. :)

Try to focus on how good it feels when uve lost weight instead of being at work or horrible early mornings. I know it's difficult but it will all be worth it in the end.

Good luck!!

I'd say you've got a very good chance of meeting that target if you carry on as you are. I would advise against eating less though, especially when you're exercising...... you need the energy from your calories. You clearly did very well in week 1 so I'd advise you to eat the same in week 2 :)

I'd say you've got a very good chance of meeting that target if you carry on as you are. I would advise against eating less though, especially when you're exercising...... you need the energy from your calories. You clearly did very well in week 1 so I'd advise you to eat the same in week 2 :)

Thanks MM...

I relapsed a bit last night. After being really determined in the gym, losing 250 cals on the exercise bike, I went home and had a chinese. Ahh! It is the one thing, as weird as it sounds, I feel like I really want to have every once in a while (every 2/3 weeks?)

I ate less than I usually do, me and my partner ordered small chips, special fried rice, chicken balls with curry sauce and split it, but to be honest I probably had 65% of it. Really bad I know. I can do without chocolate, crisps etc, just love chinese food. Ugh.

Alot of fat and calories there, but hoping to make up for it today. Had two bowls of 2 x weetabix (one with sugar) and 2 litres of water. Going to have chicken and jacket potato tonight after the gym, where I plan on losing another 250 cals. Do you think it would even it out? :sign0009:

I'm still really focused, and I suppose in terms of my weigh-in on sunday it's good I had the bad food now, out of the way. I'm hoping 1 bad meal out of the week won't affect me too badly. I need to make sure 1 bad meal doesn't become 2, 3 etc now! Defo going to make sure that doesn't happen. :fingerscrossed:

Hello, don't beat yourself up too much about eating the chinese meal. That was yesterday, today's a new day.

I expect a few people treat themselves now and again when eating healthily. Unfortunately personally I can't ..well not yet:rolleyes: I have failed at this dieting malarkey too many times, so in my case I've had to give up everything that I really enjoyed, it just so happens everything I enjoyed, is bad for me :rolleyes: It is not easy to give up the takeaway, but maybe have something on the menu that isn't 'too calorific' :eek:, or just like you did, have half!..it's a step in the right direction ;)

Weight watchers and healthy options have a range of curry dishes in ready meals and frozen meals, not quite the same I know, but it might take care of any craving :confused:

I wouldn't eat less this week, (sorry in advance for repeating this to everyone who has already read it), but your body reacts by believing it is being starved and holds on to any fat reserves it has, and then the scales reveal you have lost nothing :eek: I know it is true, as it happened to me on a previous diet :sigh:

Anyway, it is great that you still feel focused, go for it!!!!

Good luck :)

Thanks Rose, that really helps. WW currys are OK, just not the same!

Did really well today - on top of the weetabix I've had two rounds of toast and 1 medium chicken breast with a jacket potato with butter. I'm not one for calculating cals but I'm guessing that's only between 1000 - 2000 cals? With that I've burnt 250 cals in the gym, 32 mins on the exercise bike. I felt really tired but forced through it, feel great now. Feel like im back in the swing of things.

Still dreading Sunday, but going to make sure the next few days are going to be as good as today.

Well done 7 :) I can't wait to get moving on my exercise bike :sigh:

Nah, the WW curries are not quite the same taste are they!!! :eek:

What are you dreading on sunday if you don't mind me asking? :confused:...with me it is the full roast dinner experience, but I either don't have it, or just have a little meat and loads of veggies :) and avoid looking at the family's roast potatoes and all the other calorific trimmings ;)

have a great week, you can do it!

Well done 7 :) I can't wait to get moving on my exercise bike :sigh:

Nah, the WW curries are not quite the same taste are they!!! :eek:

What are you dreading on sunday if you don't mind me asking? :confused:...with me it is the full roast dinner experience, but I either don't have it, or just have a little meat and loads of veggies :) and avoid looking at the family's roast potatoes and all the other calorific trimmings ;)

have a great week, you can do it!

Ohh sorry, forgot to say that I weigh on a sunday! I love dinners too, craved one on the weekend but did very well and didn't have one :).

Focused today! Here's hoping it'll be a good week, cheers Rose.

Quick update -

Have a day off today and went to the gym, just got back. Burnt 200 cals on the exercise bike, 26 mins - 10km, wanted to do more but my right knee didn't feel great so I decided to go into the pool (Im a member at my local marriot leisure club). I did 500m in 20 minutes which I was happy with. So, according to this -

"You burn about 2.93 cal/mile/pound of body mass. In the metric system, that would be 2.93 cal/1.6km/.45kg. So, multiply 2.93 X your weight in pounds and, for 500 meters, divide by 3. If one weighs 165 pounds then multiply 165 X 2.93 = 483.45 divided by 3 = 161.15 calories for a 500."

...then I burnt about 270 on top. Not sure how accurate that information is (from How many calories does a 500 meter swim burn? - Yahoo! Answers) but I'm happy enough with that.

Had 2 x weetabix (w/ semi skimmed milk) this morning without sugar, so really good day so far.

Did well yesterday - just had a ham sandwich for lunch and for tea had a bowl of chicken pasta with a tomato based sauce. Had a muller light yoghurt afterwards.

Today I really went for it in the gym, did:

20 mins on the exercise bike, 150 cals, 8.7km

10 mins on the cross trainer, 160 cals, 1.6km

20 mins in the pool, 500m.

Going to have some left over pasta for lunch and a jacket potato tonight...fingers crossed!

p.s -

Weighed this morning (naughty me) and im still 19 st 11, but at least I have made up for my bad meal on Monday and have three more full days to get a few more lbs off.

Well done 7 for getting straight back on track after your chinese (hmmmm, chinese, oh yes <drool>), the danger is when you think "oh sod it, I've blown it now" and carry on scoffing. But one meal will not undo a whole week's worth of good work, especially with the exercising too :D

Naughty 7 though with the sneaky weigh in! Step away from those scales, only allowed on weigh day! The thing about cheeky mid-week weigh ins is that they don't give you an accurate reading...... weight can fluctuate up and down as much as 4/5lb from day to day and if you get a disappointing reading it can throw you all off. Once a week only! <stern face> Okay, will stop nagging now ;)

'Naughty step' for 7, eh maisie? ;)

seriously, you are doing well, keep at it and the scales will reward you on sunday :)

oh and weigh in once a week, you'll be so glad you waited! I know it is SO tempting to hop on, especially in the early days, but it saves any disappointment mid week, when you can be grinning on your official weigh in day :D :D :D :D

Back