Natures Finest Mandarins With Pineapple Juice 400G - Syn Value?

Rita von Ruben

Usually fruit in pre-made products would be cooked so isn't free. I think you'd have to syn it as if it were tinned fruit:

Pineapple, canned in juice, 100g 2½
Mandarins, canned in juice, 100g 2

Usually fruit in pre-made products would be cooked so isn't free. I think you'd have to syn it as if it were tinned fruit:

Pineapple, canned in juice, 100g 2½
Mandarins, canned in juice, 100g 2

Thanks ermintrude, I had no idea that it may have been cooked. I was under the impression it was just raw fruit in juice!

Going on what you've said there, if I guesstimate it at roughly half and half mandarin to pineapple, a 400g pot probably would be nearly 10 syns! I have to admit, I like to think of my syns as little treats and the idea of using them on fruit kind of puts me off a little! haha :) Maybe I'll eat them half a pot a day!

It depends, if it's a sealed, hard-plastic pot meant to last longer than a day or so it will have been vacuum-packed in which it goes through a high-heat process which partially cooks the fruit, which is why it's synned.

if it's just fresh fruit (ie not hard plastic vaccum-packed stuff and will go off in a day or so) then the fruit itself will be free so you'll only be synning the juice/any added sugar etc. Unfortunately I cant find that brand on syns online or much info about it at all.:confused:

It depends, if it's a sealed, hard-plastic pot meant to last longer than a day or so it will have been vacuum-packed in which it goes through a high-heat process which partially cooks the fruit, which is why it's synned.

if it's just fresh fruit (ie not hard plastic vaccum-packed stuff and will go off in a day or so) then the fruit itself will be free so you'll only be synning the juice/any added sugar etc. Unfortunately I cant find that brand on syns online or much info about it at all.:confused:

Thanks for clarifying that ermintrude, it is the sealed, hard-plastic pot that lasts for months like tinned fruit. I'm really quite surprised at how much it changes the syn value of the fruit, from free in it's raw form to 10 syns pre-packaged! I wasn't expecting that at all. It's a shame because I find fresh pineapple hasn't got a nice texture compared to the cans/pots of it.

only fruit in its raw form is free, any other fruit i.e. tinned, cooked, pureed, blended etc will be synned at 1 syn per 20 calories as there is no free food allowance.

Thanks for clarifying that ermintrude, it is the sealed, hard-plastic pot that lasts for months like tinned fruit. I'm really quite surprised at how much it changes the syn value of the fruit, from free in it's raw form to 10 syns pre-packaged! I wasn't expecting that at all. It's a shame because I find fresh pineapple hasn't got a nice texture compared to the cans/pots of it.

A lot of fruit you can use as a HEXB though, if you dont like pineapple raw? 225g pineapple canned in juice is a HEXB. :)

Back