Nearly all fat people skip breakfast

LMAO, hopefully less. :D

I was always led to believe that your metabolism is like a slumbering coal fire (can you imagine it?) when your asleep. When you feed it, ie eat food, it roars up and jumps into life, if you don't have any breakfast it just keeps slumbering.
I am probably talking a load of twaddle but I like the idea of a slumbering metabolism. Also, basically, take less calories in then you actually use up and you will lose weight.
(If only I had put my theory into practice :sigh: )

Your metabolic rate increases when you are awake, because suddenly it has a whole body to deliver oxygen and nutrients to. When you're asleep your body is ticking over, taking care of repairs while your engine idles.

Awake, you move around, you use more energy even if just sitting in a chair. Your brain is active (and the brain burns a LOT of energy), your muscles are active, your heartrate is increased, and so on.

Breakfast doesn't so much "kick-start" your metabolism as kick-start your digestive processes. Taking energy from digestion is faster than taking it from fat storage, so breakfast gives you a kick-start feeling because it lifts your blood sugar levels more quickly than just relying on body fat will.

Realistically to lose weight you need energy from fat stores and energy from food. Food keeps you ticking over in the short term, and gives you the energy to pull fat out of storage ('cause, yes, that takes energy).

If you start starving, taking energy from your muscles is easier than taking it from fat storage. Lovely! Yes, your body will basically "eat" your muscles rather than starve ;)

To be fair, I'm not arguing that breakfast kick-starts the day's metabolism. I'm simply pointing out why it may feel as though it does.

What Lyle basically says is "If breakfast helps you, as an individual, lose weight then eat it. If breakfast helps you, as an individual, gain weight, then don't eat it". Which is excellent advice. But most people don't want excellent advice, they just want to be told what to do :D

Looks like you are outvoted KD ;)

holding hands are we :p

KD would rather fight. :D

Always have eaten breakfast, biggest mistake I made was having crappy sugary cereals and no protein to speak of

I'll giv emy penny's worth. Whether one should or should not eat breakfast must depend on the person and how it affects them. If (like me) having breakfast before leaving for work triggers hunger pangs or desire for food then best to wait for lunch to be first meal. If having breakfast curbs the hunger pangs then have it. The total calorie intake is what will cause people to gain or maintain weight, so one has to do what works for their body and mind. Irrespective of what 'research' says.

I used to skip breakfast (and luch for that matter) when I was a teacher. Once I got a desk job I started eating three regular meals a day. It did sod all for my weight but it had a massive impact on my mood and general stability which in turn must make it easier to sustain a diet.

Back