Need recipe ideas for Gammon steaks

Mel1981

Feeling like I dont just want the traditional gammon egg and chips but I have some Gammon Steaks that need eating so does anyone have any recipes???

How about cooking them and then cutting them into pieces and using in a carbonara?
Or doing a pea and ham soup?

Or do a casserole with gammon chunks, tinned tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, carrots, herbs etc etc

I use gammon steaks for things like chicken and ham egg fried rice and I also made a chicken and ham pie which I topped with a butternut squash and swede mash.

This is a ww recipe. I think it would be ok for extra easy which is what I'm doing.......not sure how it fits in on red/green

Five Spice Leeks and Rice

Serves 4

Core

frylight

1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
¼ tsp ground turmeric
225g brown rice
700ml chicken or veg stock
salt & pepper
250g- 300g lean gammon steaks, diced
350g leeks, sliced & washed
125g button mushrooms, quartered

In a large pan, spray with frylight and add the five spice and turmeric. Cook for a few seconds then add the rice. Stir in the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer 15 mins or until the rice is tender.

Meanwhile, in another pan sprayed with frylight. Cook the diced gammon until golden, remove and set aside. Add the leeks and cook until slightly coloured then reduce the heat and add the mushrooms. Add the gammon back into the pan and cook for 3-4 mins.

When the rice is tender and the stock absorbed, stir in the veg and gammon. Season to taste and serve.

You could use gammon steaks to make this: (again a ww recipe)

Paprika Gammon Casserole

Serves 6

Core points per recipe: 1½
Points per serving: 3½

frylight
700g gammon, cubed
1 tbsp paprika
3 garlic cloves, crushed
150ml dry white wine (1½pts) SYNS here

3 red peppers, cut into 5cm (2") pieces
200ml passata
225ml veg or chicken stock
2-3 bay leaves

Preheat the oven to Gas 5/190ºC fan oven 180ºC. Put the gammon into a bag with the paprika and shake until evenly coated.

Spray a large pan with frylight, brown the gammon in batches, cooking until evenly browned.

Return all the meat to the pan, add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Pour the wine into the pan and cook over high heat until reduced by one third.

Stir in the peppers, passata, stock and bay leaves. Season, transfer to oven and cook for 1 hour.

Note: Try doing this with smoked paprika for a different flavour.

Here's another:

Gammon with Mustard Sauce

170g lean gammon steak
1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1 tbsp. mixed peppercorns crushed
2tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. very low fat fromage frais
½ tsp. Mustard powder

Brush gammon steak with lemon juice & press on crushed peppercorns. Cook under medium grill for about 10 mins until cooked through

Meanwhile blend the fromage frais with mustard powder & 1 tbsp. water until
smooth, place in a pan with the parsley & heat gently, stirring until warmed
through but do NOT boil, serve immediately with peppered gammon steak

and another .....lol

Gammon with Sweet & Sour Rice

Serves 1

1 gammon steak

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small can pineapple chunks SYNS or HE

½ veg stock cube
150 ml water
50g uncooked brown rice
50g peas
½ red pepper, sliced
dash of soy sauce
salt & pepper

Cut the gammon into cubes and dry fry with the onion in a non-stick pan.

Add th pineapple chunks, stock cube, water & rice. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 10 mins or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. If necessary add more boiling water during cooking.

Add the peas, pepper and soy sauce and season with salt & pepper. Heat through and serve.

Thankyou, some great ideas here ... think i'm going to make a gammon casserole for tonight :)

Gammon steak pizza

Grill gammon as normal, once almost cooked spread some harissa paste on top and put under the grill again, sprinkle with an A choice of cheese and pop back under the grill to toast the cheese.

Very yummy and the harissa gives it a little kick!!

This is a fave in my house

Jen

I have gammon steaks in my fridge right now and think that gammon steak pizza will be getting a try. Thanks!

Back