Need to lose 6 Stone.. :(

SickOfIt

Sorry if I'm imposing, but I'm a 17 year old male, and I need to lose quite a bit of weight. I'm not sure if this is a females only website, I think it may be - And, I'm sorry if it is. I'm sick of being "the fat one" in class. I carry the weight well, as I'm about 6 foot 2 but I'd feel an awful lot better if I lost my belly. I have stretchmarks and that makes me very selfconscious as I always pull down my tshirts subconsciously.. I'm using Rescue Oil, and it's working wonders. The marks are fading with constant use, but I'd like to get rid of them for good. I've always been chubby, and I've finally snapped. I have no clue about diets, I don't want to join a local club as I'd be mortified if anyone my age found out. :( So, I've joined the site, hoping that you guys can give me some tips. I hope to lose the weight by the time I do my A-Levels, so I can do some major shopping and buy some really nice clothes, rather than the baggy tops I get from Primark, I'd like to wear stuff from TopMan, trendy stuff. So, I'ma start my diet tomorrow, and all help, advice and support is appreciated. :)

hey hun x
welcome on board.
there are men here too,not just ladies.
everyone here struggles with weight problems and thats why we are here trying to do something about it.

this site is fabulous.i really wouldn't have been able to lose as much as i have without the support and advice from all the amazing people on here.

what are you planning on doing to lose weight?are you cutting down,doing a slimming club online?
there are lots of seperate forums here that you can join in with for what you are going to be doing.there's one for weight watchers,calorie counting etc.

i know you feel rubbish atm but you have addressed you are not happy as you are and are taking steps to change that.
just think,this weight will be the heaviest you will ever be.your weight will only be going down from tomorrow when your journey starts.
just keep in mind the reasons you want to lose weight.

if you have any questions or want advice or even a distraction from eating the wrong foods,come on here and look up how everyone is getting on.
all the best hun x

Thanks Joanne, I think I'm just going to try cutting down. Cutting out Fizzy drinks and sugary stuff like Chocolate and sweets. I'll try replacing the drinks with water, and the sweet stuff with fruit, but, money's tight so it's just basics like apples and stuff. Even though I prefer Pineapples and grapes.. :p Oh well. I have a few questions though. What about them "Zero" drinks, like Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, etc. They're Zero sugar etc, could I drink those? Or am I better sticking with Water, and could I drink Flavoured water? ;O Also, I've heard chewing gum is pretty bad, is it? As for the meals.. What would you recommend? To help cut down. I'm quite fussy when it comes to vegetables, :p But I do try to eat them. Thanks again. :)

Sound like you're off to a good start. Have you talked to your doctor about helping you?
Here is some advice for you. There is a man on this site who has lost over 100 pounds! You should talk to him about how he did it. His name is Jim. He is on the Atkins forum. He is really knowledgeable and may be able to help you.
I think at this point the atkins/low carb plan would be best for you, just because you can lose quite a bit of weight in the first few months. Alot~ Tlak to him, he lost I think 187 pds! It is not a difficult diet to follow, you can eat a lot of food and still lose lots of weight. I hope I have helped you.

Hi,

I'd just add some advice re portion sizes...I now have a plate just for me which is smaller than before, and I take it if I visit family etc just because it really helps me keep my portion sizes down as this was one of my big problems before - I probably eat half what I used to!

The other thing really is exercise, with having a fair amount of weight to lose (like me)it's important to tone up too, but it doesn't have to mean joining a gym, walking is fantastic and free and swimming is another good cheap activity!!

Good luck with your weight loss, keep positive and you can definately do it!!

. There is a man on this site who has lost over 100 pounds! You should talk to him about how he did it. His name is Jim. He is on the Atkins forum. He is really knowledgeable and may be able to help you.
I think at this point the atkins/low carb plan would be best for you, just because you can lose quite a bit of weight in the first few months

can anyone point me to any of his threads. THANKS

You can achieve anything if you really want to. These days there is help available whether it be through a slimming club or through your G.P. There are plenty to choose from and choosing one to suit you can be difficult as we are all different. I am a Slimming World member and I personally find it best for me because I can eat as much as I like and still lose weight!! Good luck on your weight loss journey. x

Thanks for the help you guys. :) I'm just cutting out stuff for now, gonna start hitting the gym this week too, as I can't swim. :p I hate water. :( So, the Gym's a better option. Keeping a little book of what I've ate, and I'll keep it updated. :D Got the parents to get loads of fruit, so there's no biscuits or chocolate in the house; just apples, mango, pineapple, grapes, kiwi. :D She forgot banana's, but I'll forgive her for that. :p Got wholegrain cheerios too, so I can get some breakfast that ISN'T Tea and Toast before school, I'll probably have an apple and something else at break and a sandwhich at lunch. :) No sweet stuff today, and I actually feel better already. :D Think I've near enough had my five a day. :D Can't wait to start hitting the Gym. I'd also appreciate it if anyone could get me a link to Jim's thread(s). So, yeah. Fingers crossed I'll lose the weight, without having to see my GP or join a Slimming Club. Thanks for the support you guys! :)

Hope it goes well for you. Everyone on Minimins is on one part of the weightloss journey, either at the start, struggling through the middle, or at the end. Everyone's willing to help.
Good luck xx

P.s. The link about jim's store is here:
http://www.minimins.com/success-stories/69215-can-done-my-befores-afters.html

but he pretty much posts on all the threads in the atkins section :)

Thought you might like to have a look at this thread too it may give you some idea's and you may give us healthy eaters some too!!

http://www.minimins.com/general-wei...-those-healthy-eating-changing-lifestyle.html

The other thing i'd like to add as well is try not to totally stop eating the things you like, i've done it in the past, but because it's such an unsustainable approach for some people (like me!)it may not work long term. I find changing unhealthy foods such as chocolate and biscuits as you've mentioned, for healthier options. A good couple I've found are Weetabix oaty bars with milk chocolate (which sort my choc fix) and nature valley oaty bars which are more of a biscuit. You still do have to be sensible though, I usually have 2-3 'snacks' per day which could include a fat free yoghurt, one of either of these oaty bars, a sugar free jelly or a jelly and fruit pot (the dole type ones)

Anyway hope that helps :)

Back