Need to stick at it this time!

Good morning everyone! So here I am again, a bit older, a bit wiser and also a great deal heavier! I have been in and out of this group for 6 years or so now and always ended up going down my own path....because we all know we can do it on our own...right? Wrong! I may not be able to join a group but I know there is enough support online, and especially in this group, to help me stick to my guns this time. So back to Slimming World it is!

So a bit about me.....I'm Julie, 63, married, 5 children, 5 grandchildren and even a little great grandson would you believe! I run my own business making clothes for babies and toddlers and live on a beautiful island.....well the weather isn't so beautiful this morning but there is always something stunning to see, like the view through my workshop window, of the sun slowly rising over the hill in front of me.

I have so many wonderful things going on in my life and I should be totally content and happy, and I am in a way.........but the thing that throws a big dark shadow over it all is my amazing ability to ignore a few little things. Like my dreadful diet, my portion size, my increasing weight, my love of chocolate and my general ill health. Every time I step on the scales I have gone up another pound or so but I just say...'oh I will get round to losing that...it's only a pound'! But you know what? I never do! I have loads and loads of clothes and yes, none of them fit or if they do then I look just dreadful, fat and old.

This just cannot continue....I am not foolish....(though sticking my head in the sand and ignoring it all is another thing I am good at)...I know I am eating rubbish and far too much of it so here I am and this time I have to make it work! I have written a menu for the week......cottage pie for tea tonight.... bought in all the food I need and climbed on those blasted scales this morning to start the journey. I will be totally grateful for any help, advice or even just general support along the way all of which I will return if I can. I will try and post every day but more importantly be honest in what I say. I am hoping that if I write it all down and commit to it here then it will give me an incentive to keep on the path and get it right. We will see.

If you have got this far then thank you for reading and I hope I haven't bored you all too much!

So day one went ok I suppose. Still struggling to shift this cold and cough which was lovingly given to me by my grandchildren! :)

Breakfast: Weetabix with milk from my allowance
Dinner: Bacon, mushrooms, beans and egg.
Tea: Cottage pie with carrots side
Snacks during the day: two slices of melon, 4 slices of lean ham
Syns used on a tonic water in the evening.

Any help or advice is always welcome.

Good luck Julie!

It's not easy with a cold and cough... I used to live on jakemans and lemon and honey drinks when my throat was sore. Getting the cough with slimming world I had to basically man it out rather than what felt like a waste of my syns on soothing things.

I think the first few weeks of the diet are finding out what works for you and where you best utilise your healthy extras. Finding out what snacks keep you feeling happy and how you can work your other meals around those syns so you can still have that nice treat in your day! I love my crisps so I have a packet a day for example and generally sacrifice any syns on my dinner so I can have that.

Good luck!

Thanks for that Bert! I really appreciate the tips. I am desperate for a cough sweet ....and a hot toddy to be honest....but I am being so good my halo is gleaming! :innocent002:

Welcome Julie:classic_smile:

Sorry to hear you have a cold... I do the same as Bert for a cold...hope you feel better soon.(((HUGS)))

After Christmas last year I started Slimming World a pound heavier than you at 18st 2lbs and I’m also a chocoholic... I suffered one cold after another and felt out of sorts, unfit and sluggish.

My journey over 2018 was very up and down and I spent weeks in the doldrums losing the same couple of pounds over and over again. I finally got my 3 stone award and hanging onto it has proven to be a bit of a challenge...I have begun 2019 with 5lbs on and now working once again to reclaim my 3 stone award.

The benefits of weight loss are beginning to manifest not only in my appearance but also in my health and energy and my resistance to colds has improved in that if I do catch something I seem to be able to shake it off quickly... I do take zinc tablets every now and then when I remember. My chocolate addiction is dormant in that I have had a few chocolates over Christmas and didn’t feel the need to have more and my cravings didn’t activate like before...I know I’m not or never will be cured but for now my sweet tooth is under control and from past experiences I know enough not to push it...

As I start this year, instead of feeling overwhelmed by my weight I feel on top of it and I have the energy to play and race after my one year old granddaughter which is both a joy and a gift...we both climbed the stairs twenty two times on Sunday.:classic_big_grin: It was as much of an achievement for me as it was for her!:classic_tongue: I could barely drag myself up them last year without getting breathless.

Good luck with Slimming World and I will call in to see how you are getting on.

My tip is use your Syns especially at the start of your journey and if hungry fill up on speed and free food...proteins like lean meat, eggs and fish help to curb your appetite.

So day one went ok I suppose. Still struggling to shift this cold and cough which was lovingly given to me by my grandchildren! :)

Breakfast: Weetabix with milk from my allowance
Dinner: Bacon, mushrooms, beans and egg.
Tea: Cottage pie with carrots side
Snacks during the day: two slices of melon, 4 slices of lean ham
Syns used on a tonic water in the evening.

Any help or advice is always welcome.
You get 2 a choices now so double your milk or add some cheese. In my experience you lose more when you use syns also

Welcome Julie:classic_smile:

Sorry to hear you have a cold... I do the same as Bert for a cold...hope you feel better soon.(((HUGS)))

After Christmas last year I started Slimming World a pound heavier than you at 18st 2lbs and I’m also a chocoholic... I suffered one cold after another and felt out of sorts, unfit and sluggish.

My journey over 2018 was very up and down and I spent weeks in the doldrums losing the same couple of pounds over and over again. I finally got my 3 stone award and hanging onto it has proven to be a bit of a challenge...I have begun 2019 with 5lbs on and now working once again to reclaim my 3 stone award.

The benefits of weight loss are beginning to manifest not only in my appearance but also in my health and energy and my resistance to colds has improved in that if I do catch something I seem to be able to shake it off quickly... I do take zinc tablets every now and then when I remember. My chocolate addiction is dormant in that I have had a few chocolates over Christmas and didn’t feel the need to have more and my cravings didn’t activate like before...I know I’m not or never will be cured but for now my sweet tooth is under control and from past experiences I know enough not to push it...

As I start this year, instead of feeling overwhelmed by my weight I feel on top of it and I have the energy to play and race after my one year old granddaughter which is both a joy and a gift...we both climbed the stairs twenty two times on Sunday.:classic_big_grin: It was as much of an achievement for me as it was for her!:classic_tongue: I could barely drag myself up them last year without getting breathless.

Good luck with Slimming World and I will call in to see how you are getting on.

My tip is use your Syns especially at the start of your journey and if hungry fill up on speed and free food...proteins like lean meat, eggs and fish help to curb your appetite.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mini. That is just how I feel...overwhelmed, need more energy and would love to be more active. I am definitely going to use those syns. :)

Morning everyone! Weather is a lot calmer here today with barely a breath of wind which is quite restful after the gales we have been having. Only a couple of fence rails damaged this time which is good!:D

I have to say that I think if I lose any weight in the next couple of weeks while coping with this cold, cough...and now ear infection.....then anything is possible! :)

Day Two
Breakfast: Weetabix with milk from allowance (I manage to use the rest of it on cups of tea to make me feel better! )
Dinner: Beans (1/2 tin leftover from yesterday) and scrambled egg
Tea: Chicken Korma from the 'fakeaway' book. It was supposed to be one pan chicken but when I came to make it I just didn't fancy it!
Snacks: Melon and an apple
Syns: 3 wedges of my husbands chocolate orange 2.5 each! Total treat!

I have loads of salad stuff in but just don't fancy it at the moment which is a waste. I do have plenty of fruit in so hopefully that will keep me going!;)

If you are coughing and have sore throat stay away from melon. It makes it worth - it is acid in the melon.

You are doing well on the plan. As someone else said the first few weeks are difficlt and then you start seeing the changes.

Oh ok. I will try that. I have been eating melon as it is a bit of a favourite of mine. Thanks. x

If you are coughing and have sore throat stay away from melon. It makes it worth - it is acid in the melon.

On that note I would also add milk to this. I remember when I had a cough a few years back and was knocking back a milkshake to sooth my throat and a friend of mine told me that milk irritates the throat in some way and also promotes the production of mucus in the body so should be avoided.

Soup and spicy food are the way forward.

Hey I started lipotrim 2 days ago and I gave in today on my 3rd day, I ate a few rich tea biscuits and some crackers..... Will that do any major damage? Xxxx

Back