negative calorie food?

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by serafyn, 15 April 2009 Social URL.

1. serafyn

serafyn Full Member

I was reading a woman's mag and it was talking about negative calorie food actually helping weight loss and recommended a soup...

Is it true? Can you eat some food which actually subtract cals in their digestion rather than gain? I know everyone used to say this about celery.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. NIC68

NIC68 wants to get super fit!

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(16.18%)
    Diet:
    healthy eating
    Never heard of it .............. but I really wish it were true! (hate celery though so hopefully that's not the only one!!)

4. coley144

coley144 Creating my life

Start Weight:
    21st9lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st2lb(33%)
    Diet:
    No diet. Pregnant
    Not true as far as I know. There are lots of LOW cal foods mind you...but NO cal? Only water!

5. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yeah, it's one of those things that people will disagree on. The main problem was something to do with fibre being counted as 0 calories when it's actually 1-2 cals per g (or something).

I should imagine that celery possibly falls under this catagory, being solid and fibrous, and with so few calories, you probably burn more chopping it with a knife, and that's before you start digesting it :D

But fruit.....no way!!

6. preetone

preetone Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st8lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(9.47%)
    Diet:
    cambridge diet
    does it not have somthing to do with the cals in food being lower then the cals taken to digest that food.

SO altho celery has few cals, it takes more engery to burn it

7. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    That's the theory, but the research is very dodgy owing to a misunderstanding of the caloric value of fibre.

But, just say it did work like that. About 5 cals for a big stick of celery. Maybe burning 6 or 7 cals in the TEF , then you would save 2 calories.

Since there are approx 3,500 cals for a pound, you are going to have to eat lorry loads of celery, to make any difference in real terms.

But anyway, most papers say the TEF is only about 0.5 cals anyway, so I would tell the lorry driver to move on :D

8. JessyJess

JessyJess Member

This is all fine if you are not sensitive to high amounts of fibre. Unfortunately that is me :(

9. TRISTAR

TRISTAR Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st12lb
    Current Weight:
    19st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(11.44%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I can only imagine these are low cal foods that use more calories to chew and digest than they originally contain, thus taking you into negative calories. I might be wrong though

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.