Never done cooking, washing up & shopping!!

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
Anyone else like this?

All I seem to do is cook, wash up and then have to shop some more...

I love cooking but sometimes would just love to be able to eat something tasty that doesn't need to be prepared in advance!

Just made a chilli and have spent over an hour chopping up all the veg!

How on earth did it take you so long to chop the vegetables for your chilli! it would take my 5-10 mins max!!

There are ways around it however - you can use frozen or pre-prepared vegetables to cut down on the prep time. or get one of those nify mini food processors or chopping gadgets to do the work for you.

Try bulk cooking and freezing batches that way you only have to do the prep once and then just defrost and reheat portions when you want to use them.

Also a slow cooker is great - okay you still have to do some prep but you meal is there ready and waiting for you when you walk in the door from work. It's the next best thing to having someone else cook it for you!

How on earth did it take you so long to chop the vegetables for your chilli! it would take my 5-10 mins max!!
Don't ask me!! By the time I washed 3 peppers, bunch of celery, grated carrot, 3 onion and garlic and chopped them all up an hour had passed :eek:

There are ways around it however - you can use frozen or pre-prepared vegetables to cut down on the prep time. or get one of those nify mini food processors or chopping gadgets to do the work for you.
I find some frozen veg like peppers etc very mushy and yeah I have all those chopping gadgets but always end up just using the knife!

Try bulk cooking and freezing batches that way you only have to do the prep once and then just defrost and reheat portions when you want to use them.

Do that too but they don't last very long as they do the hubby's lunch and mine too

Also a slow cooker is great - okay you still have to do some prep but you meal is there ready and waiting for you when you walk in the door from work. It's the next best thing to having someone else cook it for you!
Yeah have one of those too lol and do use it but lately all I seem to do is spend my time in the kitchen!

Tesco now comes twice a week to keep up with all the meat, fruit & veg I need to get!!

ah well, back in to the kitchen I go...

I would suggest having a look at some of the Easy Cook ranges the supermarkets do - Tonight i am having Waitrose Easy Cook Fishcakes - which are free on Red/EE days. Yummy! and no prep required.....! x

I don't mind the cooking. It does take a lot of time but I have my lovely OH to help with that. He is a fab cook and has really embraced the Slimming World way of cooking. He even does the washing up!

I don't mind the shopping either. The bit I hate - and have always hated - it the WASHING UP! lol

I am a bad cook and really really struggle with the cooking part of SW. I would love to make massive meals in my slow cooker and freeze loads of it however I only have one tiny little freezer draw :( Plus I work stupid shifts (7am-2pm then 5pm - 10.30pm) so very little time to cook as use the time between shifts to go on an hour run or sleep (if I'm knackered) as well as eat. When I have a shift off I'm using it to catch up on sleep or release the stress of work.

I love cooking as long as its something interesting, I hate it when Im not really bothered about what Im making. I hate hate hate washing up :mad: BUT I love it when Ive finished it and its all lovely and CLEEEEAAANNNN!!! Same with the house in general really, I just detest cleaning, but once its done (which admittedly only happens about once a year :eek: ) its LOVELY :) :D

I also hate putting shopping away aggghhhhh my fridge/cupboards/everything are soooo not big enough (it is not anything to do with the amount of crap I buy noooo not at all :D )

I'm with you on that one Ermintrude. Give me a shopping trolley and I'll fill it with ease but don't ask me to put it all away!

I'm trying to cut down on the amount I buy now as my cupboards are just too full. Freezer draw id slowly getting better now though.
I'm similar to you with cleaning as well ermintrude. Though I do enjoy it when I get into it. However, although I'm not great with cleaning at home I do have a major OCD when it comes to making sure the houses clients are clean (I'm in home care before you ask).

Anyone else like this?

All I seem to do is cook, wash up and then have to shop some more...

I love cooking but sometimes would just love to be able to eat something tasty that doesn't need to be prepared in advance!

Just made a chilli and have spent over an hour chopping up all the veg!

Yes - Me!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a decent cook and I love cooking and my hubby and son appreciate all my efforts but the amount of time I spend in the kitchen is stupid. I too don't like using frozen veg unless I have to cos I think they're mostly watery too. And my cupboards are full but I never seem to have the one ingredient that I need so I have to go shopping for it . . . . . which means another 2 or 3 bags of stuff to go in the cupboards. :D

As for batch cooking:-

a) I don't have big enough pans to make more than one meal. When I make a chilli or spag bol my wok is almost full. I get 3 portions for that meal and perhaps 2 more (3 if I'm lucky) for lunches for my son.

b) I have a normal size (3 drawer) freezer in my kitchen and a medium sized chest freezer in my garage and both are full. Yet whenever I don't fancy cooking, I can never find anything "nice to eat". :sigh:

Maybe we should move in together, cupcake? lol

I seem to be stuck in a constant cycle of washing up - cooking - cleaning kitchen - cooking - washing up! More so at weekends when I have time to make a cooked breakfast.
Do have frozen veg but I find chopping up veg really relaxing after a long day at work.

If you only have a tiny amount of space in your freezer maybe freeze the stuff in labelled freezer bags instead of containers since they sit flat you would get more in. Hugs Crystal xx

Properly trained, husbands and older children can peel and slice vegetables, clear up, put things in cupboards, and wash up. They may pretend that they can't, but they can really!

I have really missed cooking the last week or so as been ill. Its the monotony of having to do it all the time that gets me down at times.
Sometimes I'll have a big cook up and make a few things and then I look around and have created such a mess! Washing up etc most of the time the food is ok!
I have also discovered that other people in the family are capable of more than they let on over the last week or so and I'm not going to let them get away with it any more!
I have started to buy some ready prepared veggies and stuff which in the past I thought was really lazy/extravagant but it does help a little bit at times so why not!?

I am gadget mad and have to say some are rubbish but the nicer dicer is the best gadget I have ever come across preparing veg or fruit is a doddle would highly recommend it

Karen

I'm enjoying all the cooking from scratch but the kitchen always looks like a bombs hit it, I never seem to have time to cook and wash up!

Bless my husband as he is chief washer upper and hates all the tupperwares! God forbid he goes on strike!

I've been washing up by hand since I was 14, lol 30 years later!?! I dream of a new kitchen with dishwasher,but our kitchen is tiny. I don't mind cooking when I'm not pushed for time,I've cooked today sweetcorn soup,butternut squash risotto and strawberry roulade.
Best thing mr bought me is my kenwood food processor! Saves so much time,I've used every attachment today I think! It's just a pain when it's spread out all over the worktop drying.
I can't live in a tip,cleaning equals body magic!!!!
I'm finding I have so much energy even after losing a stone.

I don't actually like dishwashers. Maybe I say that as usually I'm only washing up after myself. I've always washed up by hand and never had space for one anyway.

There's so much of my stuff which won't go into a dishwasher that it wouldn't be worth while having one. My plates, etc., are 1950s Denby and I wouldn't put glasses into a dishwasher anyway.

And my Japanese knives have to be washed by hand.

A friend of mine had some nice Poole plates which have now lost all their pattern, and her Pyrex measuring jug is now unreadable!

Back