New Biggest Loser UK Jan starts 10th 2011!!

That's what OH said;) I did wonder if that was fixed, everyone who got a 'treat' had exactly what they would have eaten beforehand:rolleyes:

Starlight said:
Probably cos theyre giving in to the temptations for a start! I couldnt believe the stuff they ate tonight :eek: The US contestants wouldnt have dreamed of having ANY of that.

That what I thought too! I don't think what they had would have been enough to affect their losses *that* much since they do 6 hours of exercise a day, but considering that's the food that got them there in the first place, I would have just refused to do it! I felt so sorry for Rob, everyone else acting like it was a joke and he's wolfing down the pizza just to get rid of it! I'm glad they didn't win the challenge this week, and I think the pink team should go next week. They are all mouth and no action and if you'll excuse the pun, just don't pull their weight!

Your right, this would totally not happen on US version!

Hehee only because you prefer all the US versions of things !! But I suppose lots of things they do are more extreme with bigger budgets etc so no wonder really! They don't make a cuppa like we do though....X

The uk contestants aren't on a VLCD at all. The biggest loser shakes are meal replacement, not a very low calorie diet (which would be less than 800 calories I think). I'm sure in the first episode they said they were eating 1400 calories a day.

Personally I think if they want bigger losses they should be eating more, surely at the size most of them are, and doing the amount of exercise they are, their bodies are probably thinking they're starving!

Jennyonaplate said:
The uk contestants aren't on a VLCD at all. The biggest loser shakes are meal replacement, not a very low calorie diet (which would be less than 800 calories I think). I'm sure in the first episode they said they were eating 1400 calories a day.

Personally I think if they want bigger losses they should be eating more, surely at the size most of them are, and doing the amount of exercise they are, their bodies are probably thinking they're starving!

Are they using the shakes? I'm confused, are they are burning off more calories than they are eating by doing 6 hours of exercise a day?

Are they using the shakes? I'm confused, are they are burning off more calories than they are eating by doing 6 hours of exercise a day?

I'm sure in the first episode they said they would be using the shakes along with other food, but they're pretty much the same as slimfast, and definately not a VLCD.

I wouldn't know how much they were burning off, but if the body doesn't think it's getting enough energy then it holds onto what it has to store, which is starvation mode. That's why if people on SW don't eat enough then they don't lose as much.

A VLCD is a diet under 800 calories. It's not just eating less than that though, it's using meal replacement sachets to provide the body with all of the nutrients it needs, and also works by getting the body into a state called 'ketosis' which means the body burns it's own fat reserves. On a VLCD you can't have any sugar, citric acid or carbs (along with most other fun foods), otherwise this would knock you out of ketosis and stop the weight loss. If you're having less calories a day and you're not doing a VLCD, then you're basically just starving and your body won't burn as much energy as it's trying to hold into it in case it doesn't get anymore food.

Not eating enough was the first thing that sprang to mind when some of them had quite normal losses even after such intensive workouts, especially as a lot of them are quite big, so you would expect bigger losses.

I'd agree, I really don't think they are eating enough. The orange(?) team proved that by eating less doesn't necessarily mean you will lose more weight.

I'm enjoying the programme but I really think they (ITV) ought to research weight loss more & pick up on the fact most of the people aren't having the losses they should.

You could see the disappointment and disbelieve in some of them with their loss, especially as they are working so hard.

Jennyonaplate said:
A VLCD is a diet under 800 calories. It's not just eating less than that though, it's using meal replacement sachets to provide the body with all of the nutrients it needs, and also works by getting the body into a state called 'ketosis' which means the body burns it's own fat reserves. On a VLCD you can't have any sugar, citric acid or carbs (along with most other fun foods), otherwise this would knock you out of ketosis and stop the weight loss. If you're having less calories a day and you're not doing a VLCD, then you're basically just starving and your body won't burn as much energy as it's trying to hold into it in case it doesn't get anymore food.

Not eating enough was the first thing that sprang to mind when some of them had quite normal losses even after such intensive workouts, especially as a lot of them are quite big, so you would expect bigger losses.

Also if your on a vlcd your not allowed to exercise too much as it can put stress on your heart. X

im watching the uk one but im not enjoying it or getting into it anywhere near as much as i do the usa ones.
it seems very weak and watered down in comparism.

I shall hate myself for watching next week, but I will! I've only seen repeats of the partners USA one on Sky3 and I have to agree, this isn't a patch on it.
Oh and I could have slapped the woman in the blue team! And then they had the nerve to diss Rob cos he didn't want to do it :eek:

They did say in the first BL how many calories they'd be having per day, but I just can't remember now.

They're eating 1400 calories per day (watched it twice lol!). Also no mention has been made about whether they're using the BL meal replacement shakes so I assume they're not...

Back