New Country, New Diet Attempt

The weekend was quite mixed. Started off very well....managed to be good until our anniversary evening meal and not think "well I might as well take the whole day off", the meal itself was lovely and I didn't eat nearly as much as I think I would. While a cheese and chocolate buffet sounds great in theory it's actually not that worth it...I could eat a side plate of cheese and biscuits before it got too rich/strong (those blues) and moved onto chocolate. One small side plate of chocolate and again it was so rich that I was basically done after that. We managed to share a few extra bits of other cheeses and chocolates to try a bit of everything but it was a pretty poor showing, which is great for the diet!

The not so great bit was the drinking, I had a pint of beer, a ginger ale and some champagne. Nic on the other hand got drunk rather quickly and while it's a bit strong to say "ruined the evening" she managed to upset herself and we spent the taxi ride home half arguing, half getting upset.

The background is that I want kids, but am not ready for them. She doesn't know if she will ever want kids at all, there was this big talk we had last year, we both got upset about it but decided to put a pin in it and move to Singapore and cross that bridge if we come to it. For some reason (related to her friend deciding she might want a baby) it brought it all back for Nic and the whole thing came up again. She was asking her friend lots of questions like "are you mature enough? have you thought of ...?" etc. all very critical in my eyes so that different view on the idea of kids was the trigger and hence why it was partially an argument not just all upset.

So yeah....HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

I don't want to give the wrong impression....we rarely argue though. And our arguments are usually well formed and reasonable, more like disagreements....no shouting and swearing and we at least pretend to try and listen at the start which turns into actual listening part the way into the conversation. Just wasn't a fun weekend after all.

In other news I only put on half a pound....

Sounds quite an eventful night. I wasn't sure what you meant when you said you were going to a cheese and chocolate buffet and thought it was just going to be themed, you know a main course with a cheese sauce thing, but you really meant cheese and chocolate buffet! Wow. Sounds great in theory but like you not sure how much I would actually be able to digest (although chocolate has always been my major downfall so probably would have wolfed it down by the gallon)

The children question is always a difficult one, you have my sympathy. In my relationship I was the one who wasn't sure. I've never been the maternal type - we decided to leave it to fate (we obviously could do that). We both had issues that would make conceiving difficult but we decided not to seek medical advice. In the end it didn't happen for us (I'm 47 now so I think we have lost our window of opportunity) and we worked our life around it.

Good job on managing the weight!

Thanks Elsa, nice to know someone is listening. I guess what would be ideal would be for my sisters to have a little one so Nic can get some exposure to children. She was an only child, never around babies growing up. Maybe give her some idea about them. I was 11 when my little sister was born, my mum was effectively a single parent (because my lay about ex-step dad worked away 25 days a month) which meant I spent a lot of time looking after her - changing, bathing, feeding....then when she was older getting her and to school and giving up my summer holidays to look after her, reading stories etc. - so I know I could cope.

Nic has two big worries:
1. She isn't mature enough and also doesn't want to give up freedom of travelling
2. She doesn't know if she could cope

The first one - well I'm not ready either and who's to say I will ever be? Second - who ever really knows? Anyhow, we are in Singapore at the moment and it's not an LGBT friendly place for us to raise kids so no point thinking about it until we leave.

Feeling rather "blocked up" today. Scales were the same as yesterday but did well sticking to the diet - day 2 (again) DONE! Teetering on the 13 mark.

We went to the cinema after work so didn't get home until 9:30 utterly starving but we didn't give in and eat out "just because" it was faster. I think Nic would have done and was angling for that but I knew we had some nice avocados at home and we haven't had some home made guac in AGES! (like I said before - not doing strictly Cambridge due to resources - shakes in the day - no carb, lots of protein and veggies in the evening).

Tonight is our official anniversary, but not doing anything special - just some stir-fried (no oil) veggies and maybe a little bit of steak.

Hope you are all doing well!

I have a headache today! Ugh! And feeling super tired. I was being pressured by an agent to do a coding test last night for a job I am applying for. So logged in to do it and the clock starts - 3 HOURS!!! Who wants to get home from work and then do 3 more hours?? I focused on all the wrong things (making it run fast rather than getting it to actually run properly then improving it afterwards) so my score was pretty pants. I kind of feel like I have bitten off one more job application than I can chew at the moment. I had an extensive interview exercise last week that resulted in me staying up until 6am on Satruday and working all of Sunday - but that one I didn't mind as it was an interesting real world problem and it allowed me to play with new language features at my own pace. Lot's of excuses maybe....but left me feeling grumpy and went to bed grumpy.

I guess as it's a diet forum I should also talk about dieting, right? Ok so we had steak (yummy), mushrooms and green leafy veggies (like Bok Choi) for dinner :) Small portion so by the time my coding test was done I was feeling a bit hungry but I just wanted to go to bed at that point so wasn't tempted to the dark side. This morning I am feeling a bit lathargic and not exactly a day dream - unfocused maybe?

Scales read 12 stone 13 today!!!!! Eeek! Not sure I really feel slimmer in terms of clothes yet though.

ooooh in the 12s how exciting :) well done

oh thats happened to me before with the avocados sometimes they are so deceiving :(

they sound like really hard job applications hope you get one :) x

Thanks! I'm sure I will be jumping around the forum telling everyone if I do get an offer off any of them.

Busy morning so far which has kept my mind off food. Already midday - yay!

Last night was stir fried veggies and chicken, not too bad. Actually looked quite pretty on the plate. I also did some googling on how to make a low carb, low fat curry as I have been craving one. Not for tonight though....already made dinner of chicken soup in the fridge....just some stock, chinese type herbs/spices, chicken and veggies - my own version of hot and sour soup.

Still in the 12s today....that's two days in a row! Even though I feel bloated.

Tried on some clothes yesterday and just about squeezed into a 16, but my "pouch" is not looking good. Trying to describe a pouch without feeling too self conscious....the majority of weight is around my waist so think the type of muffin top you see some guys at the beach with...? My most hated feature about myself. Doesn't seem to be getting any smaller either.

I'm guessing we all know that muffin top feeling. Actually until recently I was more of a beach ball, perfectly round, my waist and hence my muffin top are just starting to make a reappearance - how exciting! Congrats on the 12stone mark I'm still dreaming about that at the moment.

You will get there :)

Trying to think of creative things to make for dinner. The soup tonight was nice but left feeling like something was missing. Maybe it's just that feeling of not having carbs.

Tomorrow night is a coconut and peanut curry (low in carb, medium in fat). Hmmmm...now wondering if that's such a good idea. The other one I was looking at as a black lentil soup - that has less fat but more carbs. Didn't think I would be one of THOSE people. I wanted something to curb my craving for indian food...

That curry sounds amaze!!!!! i used to have peanut curry when i lived in Africa.

i understand with the stomach situation im a size 16 too and most of my weight is my boobs and my stomach. im so scared my skin will become loose that i cover myself in bio oil and palmers cocoa butter. on saturday i bought a Rodial prooduct called tummy tuck which im hoping will help too.... obsessed haha xx

Peanut curry sounds actually amazing

So Friday evening we went with the Thai Peanut and Coconut curry. Was yummy! However, when we halved the recipe to make two not four the portion was quite small - which while good for us left us feeling hungry and wanting to order out. It was tough but we managed to keep ourselves occupied until midnight - when the delivery option ceases. Yay for Friday!

Unfortunately our efforts were not rewarded when we weighed in at the same as we had done for the past 4 days....the scales just aren't moving. Grrrrr!

Saturday wasn't quite so good. Most of the day went ok and even the BBQ we went to I was reasonably behaved...to start with. My food intake consisted of a home made beef burger (should have said no to the bun though), a spoon of salad and a cube of potato salad (because it was made specially I wanted to try it)...the two sausages were yummy but not good. It was after that when things went downhill. I didn't say no to the home made brownie...or the beers....or the pistachios and cheesy puffs. Never going to get to the 1 stone mark at this rate!!!!

did you enjoy it though?
sometimes that just happens. we are all human we all fall into that trap at some point but its whether you get back up and keep going. Remember you didnt order out the day before so you could have done that then ate stuff from the bbq aswell
you can do this. your stone mark is not far away!!! :) xx

Back