new here, just popping in to say hi

lennylou2

I'm new to this forum, although not new to WW. I tried the program unsuccessfully 2-3 times over the years, and it seems the new program (Points Plus is what it's called here in the States) has been what I needed. (Actually, I think it's a combination of: 1.) the new program being well-suited to my needs, 2.) my feeling completely desperate now so that I'm willing to do the work I didn't do before, and 3.) the fact that I'm finally old enough to have gained the wisdom to make the plan work for *me* as opposed to me simply trying to fit myself into someone else's plan. If that makes any sense at all! ;))

I started doing the Online program back at the end of April, but decided I'd benefit from going to meetings, so switched to that, with the addition of the online materials/tracking. It's not so much that I need the meetings for accountability (because I'm really holding myself accountable without any help) but that I feel like I want the "we're in this together" feeling you can get by sitting and chatting with people who're fighting the same fight. Plus, I've been fairly isolated for the past year due to health/mobility issues, and I think the social aspect of the WW meetings will be a big boost.

I have no idea what my weight was/is in stones. My starting weight was 250.4 pounds. Today, I'm at 237.4, so I'm down 13 pounds in 7 weeks. This puts me past both the 10 pound mark and the 5% mark -- woohoo! This is is fairly slow compared to many people who start at that weight, but I'm pleased with any loss. I'm on prednisone and methotrexate for some rheumatic autoimmune illnesses called Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis, as well as being on thyroid meds (still trying to get the dose right on that) and having type 2 diabetes, *and* I'm going through menopause. With all that nonsense, it feels like a flippin' miracle I'm managing to lose any weight at all, so even small losses are cheerfully accepted. :D

It absolutely amazes me how much difference even 13 pounds has made in how I feel, physically *and* emotionally. Less than 2 months ago, I was in a lot of pain and was having trouble with edema and pain and stiffness due to the PMR/GCA. A decrease in the prednisone and methotrexate helped somewhat, but I was still having trouble simply walking, going upstairs to my bedroom, doing dishes, bending down to feed the cats, etc... The dratted ailments were and are a problem, but the *weight* (or, to be blunt, the FAT) exacerbated the effects of the illness and caused some serious issues in its own right. Now, after such a small loss (in comparison to the amount I have to lose overall), I feel remarkably improved. I still have the aches and stiffness associated with the rheumatic crap, but they're miles easier to deal with, and the simple tasks of walking and standing and climbing stairs are far, far easier. I'm gobsmacked by what a change such a small loss has made, and can't wait to feel the changes that will come with losing more of this blubber. :p As my prednisone dose decreases, I hope to see the "moon face" go away, along with the weight I'm losing via WW.

When I started WW this time, I decided I need to work *with* my strengths, and try to figure out ways to handle my weaknesses. Some of my strengths (or advantages) are that I actually enjoy cooking and trying to come up with recipes using whatever foods I have on hand, being lucky enough to have hubby and grown son who will happily eat whatever I make so I don't have to feel forced to prepare separate foods for myself, very rarely feeling tempted to go out to eat or to get carry-out food, and very rarely feeling the desire to snack outside of meals. I know how lucky I am in this respect, because those things can all be really tricky when you're trying to change your diet! One of my disadvantages is that my mobility is still somewhat limited, so aside from the day I go to WW, I usually have to rely on hubby or son to pick up the groceries. This means I need to provide them with a comprehensive list, and that can screw me up when I'm trying to plan out meals for the week. Also, I'm not able to take advantage of activity points yet, because I'm still in lousy enough shape physically that I don't get much decent exercise. (I somehow doubt my knitting counts for much. Heh.)

Well, this is a long and rambling post. I apologize! I try to control my mouth, but sometimes I do tend to jabber mindlessly. Feel free to tell me to stop chattering like a fool if I do it again -- I won't take offense! ;)

I really enjoyed reading your post - please don't apologise. Congratulations on your journey so far, and best wishes for the rest :)

Hi, I enjoyed reading your post. Well done on your journey so far. I must admit I love the WW plan myself, it's just what I needed as it helps me with portion control and just making the right choices with regard to getting food that gives me good value for my points :)

Welcome Sweetie :) Looking forward to reading your journey in coming weeks. X

Hi! And thanks, all, for the welcome! It's nice to be here.

I have a funny story to share -- yesterday evening hubby came home from work after stopping at the store on his way home. As I was putting away the groceries I'd asked him to pick up, he told me that the lady at the check-out had told him he had the "healthiest cart of food" she'd seen all day. (The grocery list that day had included several kinds of fresh fruit, salad greens and other fresh veggies, reduced-fat cheese and other lowfat/nonfat dairy, wholegrain rolls, etc..) The funny part? She then went on to tell him that the cart she'd checked out just a few minutes before had been for a couple of young guys, and they'd bought nothing but frozen pizzas and beer. Heh. If that was the "competition" Jeff was up against, no wonder he had the "healthiest" cart of food. LOL I'm not sure it should be any great compliment if that's the level of nutrition he was up against. <g>

I don't know, it just struck me as amusing. He did tell the woman that I'm on WW and making changes to how we eat around here, and that we're all enjoying the new food, so that was a pleasant thing to hear.

Hi! And thanks, all, for the welcome! It's nice to be here.

I have a funny story to share -- yesterday evening hubby came home from work after stopping at the store on his way home. As I was putting away the groceries I'd asked him to pick up, he told me that the lady at the check-out had told him he had the "healthiest cart of food" she'd seen all day. (The grocery list that day had included several kinds of fresh fruit, salad greens and other fresh veggies, reduced-fat cheese and other lowfat/nonfat dairy, wholegrain rolls, etc..) The funny part? She then went on to tell him that the cart she'd checked out just a few minutes before had been for a couple of young guys, and they'd bought nothing but frozen pizzas and beer. Heh. If that was the "competition" Jeff was up against, no wonder he had the "healthiest" cart of food. LOL I'm not sure it should be any great compliment if that's the level of nutrition he was up against. <g>

I don't know, it just struck me as amusing. He did tell the woman that I'm on WW and making changes to how we eat around here, and that we're all enjoying the new food, so that was a pleasant thing to hear.

I'm loving the sound of your trolley! My favourite kind of trolley is one full of items I can use my coupons on and reductions/special offers! X

We do an awful lot of our shopping at Aldi, so no coupons there. But they do have some great specials from time to time! Right now they have a treasure trove of wonderful fresh fruit, since this is the season for such goodies.

One of the things we like best from Aldi is when they have "special" cheeses. (These are the full-fat yummy kind.) We stock up on things like Wensleydale, Blue Stilton, and aged cheddar. Since these are higher in points than the reduced fat stuff, I have to limit my portion sizes, but oooooh... too yummy to not have them! I'll have a fairly light meal like a salad with tons of veg and some fruit and some chicken breast, then have a little bit of the full-fat yummy cheese for dessert. (And then I have to have a coffee, because I love settling in after supper with a mug of coffee and my knitting and something on the tv.)

We do an awful lot of our shopping at Aldi, so no coupons there. But they do have some great specials from time to time! Right now they have a treasure trove of wonderful fresh fruit, since this is the season for such goodies.

One of the things we like best from Aldi is when they have "special" cheeses. (These are the full-fat yummy kind.) We stock up on things like Wensleydale, Blue Stilton, and aged cheddar. Since these are higher in points than the reduced fat stuff, I have to limit my portion sizes, but oooooh... too yummy to not have them! I'll have a fairly light meal like a salad with tons of veg and some fruit and some chicken breast, then have a little bit of the full-fat yummy cheese for dessert. (And then I have to have a coffee, because I love settling in after supper with a mug of coffee and my knitting and something on the tv.)

Mmmmmm I love nice Cheese, at Christmas they do the little Flavoured Cheese Trundles for £1 and I always treat myself to a selection of those mmmmmmmm. X

Back