New manufacturer

As far as i know xenical is the brand name generics include orlistat

Xen has never alone been a manufacturer name

Many companies make generics of drugs its nothing to be worried about x

I can see its still the same thing I just thought obviously this board is called xenical & if newbies are prescribed it'd be called Teva orlistat & they may not find us, wonder if our name needs changing to xenical/Teva....

I think Roche developed it. They called it Orlistat, then called the 120mg Xenical and the 60mg tablets Alli. I think when medical companies develop a drug, they have exclusivity for a certain number of years. I'm guessing that times up now as it's been around since the 90's. Then other companies are able to make it. It will be orlistat, but called something different to xen or alli, by a new manufacturer. Sorry, I'm not good at concise!

PurpleMum said:
I think Roche developed it. They called it Orlistat, then called the 120mg Xenical and the 60mg tablets Alli. I think when medical companies develop a drug, they have exclusivity for a certain number of years. I'm guessing that times up now as it's been around since the 90's. Then other companies are able to make it. It will be orlistat, but called something different to xen or alli, by a new manufacturer. Sorry, I'm not good at concise!

The non-concise version worked for me x

lexie it was me that said it. yes tevo are now making orlistat they started doing it in nov/dec 2011. i have a pack of orlistat that is tevo and not xenical. x

Is that why I've got a green box now?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Is this why I have travelled round 10 chemists and have still not got my prescription :(

Is this why I have travelled round 10 chemists and have still not got my prescription :(
What a pain. Probably easier to get your GP to change the script to the new manufacturer name. This has happened me with other medication. I literally travelled the country. Eventually a helpful pharmacist advised me that the brand on my script was not being ordered by their chain any longer because the NHS had switched to a cheaper brand. Still had to get through the guard dog, I mean GP receptionist, to get the brand name changed. She didn't believe me, and I invited her to contact the pharmacists. She made me wait a couple of days while she phoned some chemists. Eventually she let me get the Dr to write a new script!
Hope you have some to keep you going over the weekend.

PurpleMum said:
What a pain. Probably easier to get your GP to change the script to the new manufacturer name. Thi has happened me woth other medication. i literally travelled the country. Eventually a helpful pharmacist advised me that the brand on my script was not being ordered by there chain any longer because the NHS had switched to a cheaper brand. Still had to get through the guard dog, I mean GP receptionist, to get the brand name changed. She didn't believe me, and I invited her to contact the pharmacists. She made me wait a couple of days while she phoned some chemists. Eventually she let me get the Dr to write a new script!
Hope you have some to keep you going over the weekend.

Aaah thanks for the tip x

Is that why I've got a green box now?

yes thats right. ive got a green box now. tevo makes orlistat at around 28 pound a box but xenical is still about 50 pound. thats why pharmacys are now going to tevo as there cheaper x

So as I have a repeat prescription of xenical and my gp is on may leave I'm gonna struggle to get it aren't I?! :( x

But it's whether they realise when I hand it in you know?! X

My prescription said the same thing as usual - orlistat Sobieski guess that's why I didn't have any hassles getting it as there was no brand name mentioned

Mine just see orlistat so the problem near me isn't because it says xenical :(

I had this problem in the chemist yesterday, my chemist rang round and found some for me eventually and I have to wait till Monday afternoon to collect them. She also said they had changed names, she also said that towards the end of each month its harder to get the prescription due to them only distributing certain amounts at the beginning of each and every month?

When I rang to get brochure, Roche company told me there was a fire in the manufacturers, and that there would be a short supply of xenicol but alternatives would be there

Back