New on Atkins today - from SW

Not doing very well one the Slimming World diet so going to try out the Atkins..

I am currently at work and soon my work mates are going to be ordering dinner..

I am not quite sure what i can eat from the menu...

I mean they do things likes Panini's, Breakfast Buns, Salad Pots, Sausages, Eggs, Bacon, Chicken Curry, Quiche, Homemade Coleslaw, Cheese..

I know i cant have jacket potatoes...

HELP!!

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee
Have a read of the stickies at the top of the page - youre thinking of staring atkins - is a good one to start.
Erm as for your lunch lol your not very well prepared.
what have you had for breakfast (another good thread is what are you eating today)
the sausages are likely to be too carby for induction.
Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cheese, salad with full fat mayo.
The chicken curry may be ok but depends if they put sugar/sauce in it.
no to paninis or bread, no to potatoes, no to pastry. either a fry up with no beans or toast/bread or a cheese salad sound the best options.
I would have a read on this site and get yourself more organised for tomorrow :D

best of luck!

Yes Vicky is spot on - preparation is the key. Read the book, then read it again, and the stickies on thinking of doing Atkins.

There's a lot to get your head around, but it's not complicated, just a different way of eating - and you will love it!

Susie

Most are FULL of carbs - it's the yucky husk fillings they put in.

Here's a list of low carb yummies that everyone here has added to (it's on a thread I started on page 4 called "Low carb contest") -

Meat

- Debbie & Andrew Garden Herb sausages 0.2 carbs per sausage (pack of 6=1.2 carbs) - Tesco
- Jamie Oliver Italian sausages (Asda, Tesco) - 0.9g for 2 sausages
- Asda extra special pork and chorizo sausages 0.6g carb per 100g (similar to Morrisons, which are lovely too)
- Black Farmer Premium Pork Sausages - 1g carb per 100g so 3 sossies = 2g carbs
- Mattesons smoked turkey sausage - 0 carbs per pack
- Red Dog Chilli Frankfurters 350G - 1g carb per 100g
- Tesco's finest pork chipolata's, £2 for 12 pack, 1.8 carbs per 2 sossa's
- Iceland's own quarter pounders, £2 for 4, 0.5 carbs per burger so 2 per full pack!
- Asda extra special pork sausages with cheese and caramelised onion 3 carbs per 100g (quite high but worth it)

Dairy

- Alpro soya organic unsweetened 0.1 carbs per 100mls - Tesco online
- Hellmann's real mayonnaise 1.4 carbs per 100mls - Tesco
- Tesco mayonnaise 1.4g per 100g
- Tesco chevre - 0.5g per 100g (the whole cheese is 100g)
- Iceland's grated mature cheddar, £2 for big bag, 0.9 carbs per 100g....
- Creamfields mature cheddar 0.1 carbs per 100g (Tesco online)

Cupboard

- Walden Farms whipped peanut spread - 0 carbs - Low Carb Megastore
- Value chopped tomatoes 3 carbs per 100g - Tesco
- Gia sun dried tomato puree 0.5 carbs per 100g - Tesco online
- Free from worcester sauce - 15.9 carbs per 100g - Tesco
- Schwartz hollandaise sauce - 0.4 carbs per 100g - Tesco online
- Josephs sugar free maple syrup - 0 carbs Low Carb Megastore
- Atkins Endulge crispy milk chocolate - 1.8 net carbs per bar - Boots
- Greentop Quality pork crackling - bag of six, less than 0.1 carbs per (small) bag - Poundshop

This should help stock the cupboard!

Susie

the cheaper the sossie the worse it is (unless you get bratwurst). ones from a cafe are likely to be carby!

thanks ladyfelsham,

I have just eaten a cheese salad with Mayo.... the Mayo tasted very very salty.... nice but i am worried it might have not been what i should have had

Hiya Lee - call me Susie (or Your Majesty, I don't mind) :D

Not much you can do about bought products hun - even I (who hardly knew where the kitchen was pre-Atkins) make my own lunches and dinners and it makes a huge difference - and tastes much better :)

Try the Hellmans mayo, I use that one a lot.

Hi lee and welcome mate

Tesco own brand full fat is the best.

Oh and we love sausages round here. :)

:queen: Susie ;)
you will have to get yourself out shopping tonight Lee

It's all in the planning on this Lee! I keep some daybreal bars in the cupboard for the times I don't have time for a proper atkins breakfast. I'm lucky that we have a great salad bar at work for lunches, but am occassionally caught out with tempting treats. Cheese and onion tart today but I resisted! Dinners are easier, meat, meat, meat and veg, veg and more veg ;)

lol looks like i am going to have to go shopping soon.... What cereal bars are best ?? i have a 3 week old baby and me and the Wife take it in turns for the night feed.... i am too tired to do breakfast sometimes... was too tired last night and didn't cook anything just went to bed... i know its bad.

Only the atkins bars lee - or other low carb ones from lowcarbmegastore.com or suchlike.
the best things are sausage and egg muffins or bacon and egg muffins. make a batch keep in the fridge and just eat cold or micro for couple of secs and taadaa - breakfast!

EGG AND SAUSAGE MCMUFFINS

Makes 12 muffins
(per muffin: 1g carb)

Great for on the go, make sure you use low carb sausages, you can also add sauteed mushrooms or onions to the mix.

These muffins can be frozen & reheated in the microwave.

455g sausages
12 large eggs
120ml whipping cream
120ml water
1/4tsp sea salt
170g grated cheddar

Preheat the oven to 180c. Coat a 12 muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.

Remove the sausage meat from the casings & crumble the meat into a large frying pan. Cook over a medium heat, stiring to break up the pieces, for 5 mins, or until browned. Divide meat evenly amoung the muffin cups.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, water & salt. Pour over the sausages & top with cheese.

Bake for 20-30 mins until the eggs are cooked thru. Cool slightly & remove from the tins.

Hi Lee & welcome... looks like you've been given some fab advice so far. The sticky's at the top plus recipe/what are we eating threads are great for ideas. x

I don't use the cereal bars, one just wouldn't be enough.

Brekkie is almost always bacon and eggs - feels naughty, tastes great and it's legal! Otherwise I have an omelette made the day before and heated up, or a soya protein shake.

Susie

Otherwise I have an omelette made the day before and heated up
oh never thought of doing that!

Back