New to SW...a little advice please? :)

cockneygirl

I went to my first SW on Wednesday and just had a few questions really.
Do you find that Green or Red days work best for you?
How much weight can I expect to lose in the first week then every week after that?
Can I really have 10-15 syns everyday or am I less likely to lose weight?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Some people find Red suits them better, many people like myself do all Green and find that works really well. It seems to be an individual thing - give both a go and see which works best for you. Also don't forget you have the Extra Easy option, which allows you to have both protein (Red) and carbs (Green) together as Free Foods. This suits some people down to the ground.

Stop thinking in terms of set amounts lost every week. This plan doesn't work like that. Take it as it comes - every loss is a step in the right direction. Personally I've now lost over six stone, which has tended to come off in a pattern of 1.5 - 2lbs average per week, with the odd unexplained STS followed by an equally unexplained drop down of 4 -5lbs. Your pattern could be very different.

Yes you really should have the full 15 syns a day when you start. This gives you some leeway if you hit a plateau. Having too few syns is counterproductive.

Hope that helps. :)

This question comes up just about every day and the short answer is that there is no answer. Everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.

Again no-one can say how much you'll lose the first week - it depends on loads of factors such as what you were eating before you started and how much water you retain. If it was a very low calorie diet some people can actually put on the first week. Some people do lose largae amounts the first week but that will be fluid rather than fat. As for weekly losses 1-2lb a week is a good healthy amount to aim for although it's inevitable you will have weeks when you stay the same.

Lots of good advice from Elizabeth. You need to stop focussing on how to lose weight the quickest. Choose the plan that fits in best with your lifestyle and the foods you like to eat. They all work so why not just enjoy your food in the knowledge that the weight will come off in its own time.

Good luck with your SW journey cockneygirl, I joined SW 9 weeks ago and have managed to lose 2.5 stone. However, I have a lot more to lose than you! I have been averaging 4-5lbs per week, doing 5 red days and 2 green days per week. I do know this will slow down eventually, but this is a great start. I find exercising as well helps, I go swimming 4-5 times a week now. I tend to save all my syns for alcohol at the weekends, which works great for me. If I can have a few glasses of wine on a Saturday night, I don't feel like I am on a diet!

Hello and welcome!

It's all been said very well. Each one of us has a different story to tell, and after a bit of reading round on the boards, you'll see that for sure. SW does work - we will all agree on that. As long as you follow the plan you'll lose weight.

We have people here who've had tiny and massive first week losses, who lose half or one lb a week, who inexplicably gain, some who can't tolerate green days and others who try EE and it doesn't work for them.

The best advice I can give is just to get stuck in and see how it goes for you. Follow the plan, eat lots of speed foods and drink plenty of water. Eat your syns, either in your cooking or as treats. Sometimes being too hard on yourself with syns can result in not losing...so eat and enjoy.

Good luck!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well i have pretty much all green days as they fill me up more and im less likely to stray

the only week in all 13/14 have i NOT had a loss.......... was because i didnt syn enough

do a food diary so your consulted can point out if your going wrong

everyone is different depends how much you have to loose i started this 17 stone 12lbs and i lost 5lbs in my first week lol and now loose a steady 2lb a week :)

things like periods can affect your weight loss no matter what you do so dont let that worry you either lol (just something to remember)

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Back