New to SW and have questions

Xassy

Silver Member
Hi, I'm new here and to SW! Well, I've done it before but not properly. I joined as a member on the weeked. I'm doing Extra Easy, which is great. :D However, I am quite a picky, plain eater.

~ I wondered if it was ok to be eating white carbs regularly? I like brown pasta but I don't like brown rice.
~ I'm going shopping tomorrow and want to get noodles, any recommendations for noodles that are free?
~ Also, any ideas for sauces? I quite like Tesco original pasta sauce. It's only 6.5 syns per jar, I think....? Does that sound right? :confused:
~ Are ALL mullerlight yoghurts free, except for the layered variety?

Thank you and sorry for the questions. :eek: I have looked around the boards, which have already answered some of my other questions.

Hi, I'm new here and to SW! Well, I've done it before but not properly. I joined as a member on the weeked. I'm doing Extra Easy, which is great. :D However, I am quite a picky, plain eater.

~ I wondered if it was ok to be eating white carbs regularly? I like brown pasta but I don't like brown rice.
~ I'm going shopping tomorrow and want to get noodles, any recommendations for noodles that are free?
~ Also, any ideas for sauces? I quite like Tesco original pasta sauce. It's only 6.5 syns per jar, I think....? Does that sound right? :confused:
~ Are ALL mullerlight yoghurts free, except for the layered variety?

Thank you and sorry for the questions. :eek: I have looked around the boards, which have already answered some of my other questions.

Hi and welcome Xassy :D

Hope this helps some but I shall leave the questions relating to rice and noodles to others as I am not an authority on the green pland as I follow red.

Mullerlights that are not layered are free so you should be fine to scoff lots of them....I do!:D

You could syn sauces if you like, although I would highly recommend making your own instead of syning. When you buy jar sauces they have sugar, etc in them and it is exactly the sort of thing we try to stay clear of. I tend to make up a basic tomato sauce using passata and whatever herbs take my fancy.

I used to be very much set in my ways like you, but perhaps you should look at the recipe section, get some ideas and experiment with your cooking. It's all about broadening our current way of thinking and our mindset that "I can't eat that". :D

Best of luck and hope that was at least a little help.

K xx

Hi Xassy!

Indie said a lot of good stuff ^^^.

I used to do a lot of green days and here are some of my things:

On Sunday I make a huge pot of tomato and red pepper 'soup' which I'd double up as a base for a pasta sauce. Literally get loads of tomato and red pepper (roasting the red pappers adds a nice flavour) and fry gently in fry light with garlic and herbs to taste etc. Then blend. Nice soup (syn free) and you can throw in mushrooms and such to make a green day sauce for pasta.

Passata (tomato puree in bottles) from the supermarket is free too and cheap so great if you like pasta.

Like Indie said - don't waste syns on bought sauces - you can get GREAT SW sauce recipes online or in books.

Another of my faves is to use 5 laughing cow light triangles with pasta - mix into hot pasta and it makes a gloopy pasta mess whihc is great if in a rush and need to use an A option.

Also, snack on free foods regularly - I graze a lot at work on raspberries and carrots etc.

Good luck xxx

Hi Xassy Welcome along,

White rice is ok I have it often on a green day brown pasta is good cause you can have 100g brown as a healthy extra on a red day - oops just seen you are doing EE so they are both ok for you.

If you buy noodles with a sauce sachet you need to get the ones that say low fat so they are free as the other kind have syns I think that they are batchelors. Any plain dried noodles are ok. Look out for mug shots as the noodle ones are also free.

Mullerlights are free appart from the choc cherry one in the chocolate variety pack but they are quite low - only 2 syns I think.

Not sure on sauce as I buy pasatta and make my own sure someone else can help though.

I am also doing extra easy and I find it so much easier than the green and red.
I have recently re-joined SW after several lapses but find EE so easy and perfect for me.
I personally eat any type of dry pasta and plain rice, not just brown. They are totally free so you can pig out! Also cous cous, which I really enjoy.
Like the others suggest, rather make your own sauces. I am sure there plenty of recipes here and on the SW website.
I bought a little book on sauces from SW and it's great too.
I also take short cuts and open a can of mixed beans, mix with cooked pasta, add a few spices, and a little lemon juice or vinegar as a dressing, and voila, a quick and filling free meal!
I mix pasta, rice and cous cous with so many things, it really is easy to eat right and keep full!
Good luck, and have fun!

Thank you. All your advice was really helpful.

I did wonder if the jar sauces were a bad idea and I just peeked on the label, it's only 56% tomato, and the rest is not great stuff! :eek:
Last night, I made quorn mince with passata and it just wasn't as nice as quorn with jar sauce (which I used to eat before SW). This is all about changing though, isn't it?! :p I'm gonna look up some recipes up before I buy half of Tesco tomorrow. ;)

It's only been a few days, I'm still learning. I've been reading this site for about 2 hours, so much to read and learn but it's definitley a good thing!

You really seem to be putting your all into it and already mixing up your ideas looking at the site. Well done! That is the way to success :D

Good luck with the first SW friendly shop. I remember my first one, I was in Morrisons for hours :O lol

K xx

You really seem to be putting your all into it and already mixing up your ideas looking at the site. Well done! That is the way to success :D

Good luck with the first SW friendly shop. I remember my first one, I was in Morrisons for hours :O lol

K xx

agreed! it sounds like your in the right frame of mind and your gunna do fab.

feel free to ask as many questions as needed.. its better to know than to guess!

best of luck to you hunnypie x

you need to add some extra seasoning to your sauce - it will be very bland if it's just qorn and passata. try adding a splash of soy sauce, a splash of worcestershire sauce, a crumbled stock cube and some schwartz garlic italian seasoning and it'll taste fab.

Last night, I made quorn mince with passata and it just wasn't as nice as quorn with jar sauce (which I used to eat before SW). !

If you don't like passatta (I find it two sweet) you can use chopped tomatos with some herbs, wos sauce and maybe a bit of tomato puree (1 syns for 2 tbsp). If you allow it to simmer until it thickens it makes a nice flavorfull pasta sauce.

Good luck :)

Thank you again for the support and words of encouragement, it means a lot. :) I spent about 2 hours in Tesco but I'm ashamed to admit how much I spent. :eek: Oh well!

The only thing I was still unsure about is noodles. Are egg noodles ok?

Thanks again. I hope everyone is having a nice day.

Dried egg noodles are ok. as is any kind of rice that rattles when you shake it! :D

Back