new to sw with hypothyroid & fed up already :(

batmansmum

Hi everyone,
I've scanned the forum but there's that many sections i got confused & cant find where to post about thyroids lol

I joined slimming world on 18th jan, had my 1st weigh in on 25th (wednesday) & i'd gained 1lb, I just knew id gain all week, despite sticking to the plan 100%, Eating 3 times more than i usually eat i just can't see how eating more means losing weight :( but i also have hypothyroidism which i was born with nearly 30yrs ago, im on 200mcg of thyroxine daily. Ive been told to expect lower weekly results which is fine & when i went for my 1st weigh in i had jeans on instead of leggins when i joined, i didnt know to wear the same ive never done this before i wasnt psychic, so the rep said its coz i had jeans on, anyway since weigh in ive hardly eaten at all, ive stayed to the right food but i just cant physically force myself to eat more , im to worried about putting weight on & im getting upset. ive convinced myself im going to stay fat & ugly, makes it harder as im so fussy with food i've very little variety. I want to lose 3 stone but 3 1/2 stone would be perfect.

Sorry for rambling on my intro but i dont know what to do, im convinced its just not going to work for me *sob*

I need help

Hi batmansmum and :welcome2:

I have thyroid problems too and I'm on 150mcg of thyroxine per day. My weight losses are usually around the 1 or 2lbs mark and to be honest I'm happy with that. ;)

The main thing to remember is that by sticking to the Plan you will lose weight. SW has been around for 40years+ and the plans are tried and tested...they DO work. For some people it takes a week or so to settle down into making the changes, planning and eating the right foods so keep at it! :)

Remember hun..you're not in a competition to see who can lose the most weight in the shortest time. If, like me, your weight has come on over a long time, then don't expect to see it all come off overnight. Give yourself time. Set small goals and you will see results!! :scale:

Don't be frightened of stating how you're feeling. That's what forums like this are for so you can get the support you need.

It might be an idea if you could post a food diary on the general SW forum and you'll get some ideas from that whether it's going the right way for you. Don't forget to speak with your Consultant too...that's what they're there for.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. Keep us updated. :D

It can be disheartening, but don't panic. It's been one week, and I'm guessing it didn't take you just one week to gain the weight that you'd like to lose. It took me well over 20 years to eat myself this heavy :D

Be patient. Relax. And remember to drink plenty of water with SW. Stick to it and it will start working. It really will.

MiniMins is here for you. Best of luck <3

hi Batmansmum,
I also have underactive thyroid, on 150 mcg, I joined 3 weeks ago, amazed how much free food I have eaten and still lost weight.
Keep going, dont give up yet, make sure you fill up with free food and dont go hungry cause that will make you feel deprived.

I lost 3.5 stone with weight watchers about 10 years ago, but then didnt go back, got back into my old ways and put the weight back on, hoping sw way it will stay off, as it involves sensible eating, and not weighing everything I eat.
Good Luck and dont give up

My story too - I'm also on warfarin (blood thinning med) which has some food restrictions + diagnosed with insulin resistance.... grrrrr! I lost 1.5 lb first week but on my last jaunt at Rosemary Connolly I managed to gain 3lb in the first week. It is really distressing but we've just got to trust that we'll respond eventually - all around me other new starters lost between 4 - 7 lb and like you I really really stuck to the plan.
I'm just trying to think tortoise and hare - there isn't a plan B and I can't allow myself to keep getting bigger. Lets hold hands and do it together.

2.5 + the 1.5 week one = 4lbs....... disappointing the lady I sat next too at the induction has lost 13.5lbs so I'm a bit despondent, pleased for her cos that's marvellous I'd just like a bit of her sparkle : ) x

hello there,i too have thyroid problems and i am on 100mcg thyroxine daily.

I started SW at the very start of the year and have lost 9lbs so far.It seems that it can slow weightloss down a little and its true that us hypo-thyroidies are almost pre-disposed to feel hard-done-by!!

The way i look at it is that even if i only lost half a pound a week then this time next year i will be almost 2 STONE LIGHTER!!...plus i dunno what everyone else thinks, but i think losing pounds slowly tends to mean that it stays off...maybe coz its miles away from the old yo-yo dieting thing

Nik X

Yes we've just got to keep on going - lady at the SW class I'm at has lost over 7 stone and she's hypothyroid - just took longer. Patience is supposed to be a virtue I guess - well done Nik on your success

Sue

I'll jump on this band wagon. On 100mg myself but I'm sure that this is woefully under what I need considering my contining list of symptons, not that my gp cares, grumble grumble grumble... hoping my useless sluggy system won't slow my weight loss too much.. hugs to all with this pesky condition.

thanks sue!

thyroid problems are no fun at the best of times but many have proven that weightloss can be achieved even if its a little slower.

im always happy to have a chat with anybody about our conditions..or a good grumble come to that! xxx

I'm cold!

im always happy to have a chat with anybody about our conditions..or a good grumble come to that! xxx

A good grumble sounds about right, it's not exactly something to jump up and down in joy about. BAH!!

Can I ask, is anyone else just too cold?

I mean I know it's cold right now -2 on my phone but I am really, REALLY cold. Like core cold, especially considering how big I am, I should be like a bug in a snug rug.

I've been getting colder over the lst few years as my thyroid function has declined.
Does anyone have any suggestions besides a big blanket? Does losing weight help with metabolism and coldness?

An ongoing battle in our house - mastery of the thermostat! I do feel the cold, mind my friend who lost weight (12st) with gastric bypass feels it more - she's always cold!
Hypothyroidism is linked to feeling cold but if your levels are OK it's maybe worth asking your Dr to check out ferritin levels - we struggle on a variety of fronts, take care

Back