New to SW with PCOS - Advice needed :)

Hey guys,
Another PCOS sufferer here along with Endo too.
I can tell you definately that losing weight certainly does help with the symptoms (at least for the PCOS anyways (nothing seems to help the endo sadly)
I've had both for nigh on 20 years now (yep even back when they didn't know what it was!)

When it first started, dr's had no idea what it was, and appear to have been put on every pill imaginable, but now all i have is pain meds for the Endo as nothing actually helps PCOS medication wise (for me anyway, obviously others are different) the only thing that ever helped with that was losing weight.

SW is good because it isn't restrictive like other "diets" (i need a lot of red meat for iron as when i do come on it lasts for about 4 weeks and is stupidly heavy as an earlier poster noted! Although we still aren't sure if that is the Endo or the PCOS.

Push your dr, they really don't know much about in the country, compared to others anyway, so you really do have to get your research done so you have answers to all the alternatives they seem to like throwing into the mix.

Can't help with the TTC side of it as i've never bothered looking into it as i have no interest in having kids *runs from the judgemental masses who may be hovering* but i know there is a lot of threads on here specifically about that, so you should find plenty of help there.

I prefer green days as i don't overly like meat (probably because i need so much of it) and you can lose weight on the well, but i do measure my carbs. I know they say you don't have to but i really do! I don't scrimp, i have the serving size on the packet but if i go over i don't get great losses.

Good luck to you :)

I am PCOS [diagnosed from ultrasound and confirmed by my chin hair :( ] - My doctor said "stay away from carbs"... I tried that, by taking always 1/2 the rice or pasta that I served my husband, and it has made no difference.

So I just joined SW last week. I see loads of carbs are free, and seem required on slimming world. Does anyone modify, and actually avoid things like pasta, couscous, quinoa, etc? Do we have to do that w PCOS?

I like the eating plan on SW so far, as I'm eating til I'm feeling full. Rather than depriving myself, feeling hungry and snacking after meals as I was before.

To be honest carbs have never had any effect on me (well aside from eating too many lol) regarding weightloss, although some have, I think it's probably a personal thing. If it made no difference to you then that's a good thing cos u still get to have pasta and spuds, which is always nice :)
Try it, only way to find out for yourself x

I think it only matters if you cant digest glucose properly which sometimes can be a part of PCOS. Has your doc tested you? Even though I have PCOS I am fine with glucose so cutting out carbs doesn't make much difference x

Hi
I have pcos for 6 years now and have struggled alot and tried alot of diets and herbal remedies with no luck (maybe its just me), but saturday decided to try sw at home (no class).

I have decided to try the plain old green and red days, have been doing ok this week but not lost anything :( :( (deserves double sad face lol)

let me know how you get on maybe we could help each other x

Hi girls,

Just joined today as need to start a huge weight loss drive. I suffer with PCOS and had tried WW and put on weight!!! I have heard so many good things about SW with PCOS, I just need the support and encouragement to get me going as I want to get the weight of to conceive our first baby want to lose 5+ stone. :)

Hello Amanda! Eyes on the prize :) Fertility is my main goal as well. Stick with it you can do it! I just got my 1 stone award on Thurs. SW is working out v well.

Though, right after I got my award I indulged in some 'celebration', which involved 2 bad days: wine and pretzles and a lunch out, and a pain au chocolate, biscuits, etc. I told myself it was just because I wanted to let my hair down, but I should admit it was emotional eating. I got news on Friday that I over-responded to clomid... I had 6 follicles, and my doc told us to cancel this cycle for fear of multiple pregnancy. Each month is fresh disappointment. And now I have gain 2 pounds to top it all off. Adding so-called treats obviously didn't help me at all...

So- back on plan!! I guess it wasn't going to be smooth the whole way. I guess it also means I have another month to lose weight. So best wishes to you!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread!

I tick all the boxes with you all on here. I'm on my 6th/7th week with sw, I've lost a stone so far,the last 2 weeks I've lost all motivation and energy for it :-(

I have my fertility hospital appointment in about 6 weeks time,I no I need to get the weight down asap, I can predict what there going to say already "keep going. . . . See you in 6months" . . . During my last appointment she was no help,told me there is a weight limit,didn't say what it was,I'm assuming it's based on bmi. . .and to stop smoking, I'm currantly down to one smoke a day. . So I'm finding it all very difficult.

And works taking it's toll on me :-(

I've got PCOS and am also doing SW.

I initially tried to follow a low GI diet (as that's what you're supposed to do with PCOS) but I found it too hard. I started SW for the first time ever at the begininng of the year and I think it's a great plan.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment but that's more as a result of my sabotaging thoughts than the plan being difficult to follow.

I've done exactly the same Fannyanna, I was on this board last year trying a low GI diet but it just didnt work and I didnt lose a thing! I joined SW last week and am loving the plan so far... I have done it before years ago and it did work so hoping it will this time round too - time will tell!
Also started officially taking my metformin too - was supposed to do it about 4 months ago but kept putting it off/forgetting so I'm on a mission to turn my life around now!!

Hey Girls,

Looking for a bit of advice as im lost and stuck in a rut!!
Been attending doctor since January with my thyroid and finally after 10 years been put on thyroxine thought that would help me lose weight but no joy. First month i did not bad and last month i just lost 0.5lbs and this month 2lbs its getting me down so bad! Iv been following a low calorie diet which has worked previously with me and i lost 3.7 stone in 5 months. I then gained some back so started slimming world where i lost over a stone before i stopped losing weight there. So i left as didn't feel consultant was helpful and this year started low cal diet and this previous month also low carb too (Most days between 1000-1300 cals). Im devestated to just lose 2lbs this month as tried so hard so considering sw again.

Doctor said to me 6 years ago via blood tests that i had PCOS - I am lucky that i get periods each month but they are awful, cramp very bad almost to extent i nearly faint and very heavy, i have awful skin and horrible boils until i was put on dianette (This has cleared up alot), iv alot of skin tags and lose alot of hair which is brittle and thin. Iv never had a scan or anything and until today my PCOS hasn't been mentioned but the doctor today said she wanted to do more bloods to check for it again?

Anyone any advice?

Another one with PCOS starting Slimming World soon - I hope this one works!

Hi all,

I am new to this group!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 (now 28). I originally sought treatment for this 4 years ago but for various reasons have delayed treatment but now, it's all systems go! My periods have been VERY irregular since being 18 (for many years I had one a year if I was lucky!). I always felt a bit fobbed off by my GP/Consultant when they said that losing weight is the most effective way of boosting fertililty, however, last year I lost 2 stone and my periods came back, every month, as regular as clockwork and the same as before the PCOS diagnosis. I also had an ultrasound scan which showed absolutely no cysts on my ovaries (whereas previous scans shown both ovaries as being affected). So, losing weight DOES help. However, I then gave up smoking on 1st October 2012, put a stone back on and my periods have stopped again. However, I am not going to be too hard on myself as quitting smoking is a fantastic acheivement in itself!

So, after years of on and off WW, I have given myself the kick up the bum I need and tomorrow, I am going along to my local Slimming World club, more determined than ever! I am keeping my eye on the ultimate prize and am going to lose this weight!

I look forward to getting to know you all better :) xx

Hi,
I also have PCOS, diagnosed in 2003; I have all the lovely symptoms, including no periods at all! I have just started on metformin and am due to start IVF treatment in 6 weeks (the private sector accept a BMI of up to 35) but I am hoping to lose a stone before then.
I have done SW before and lost 2 stone which I have managed to keep off, so giving it another go. Wish me luck!
x

Good luck... I am waiting for IVF treatment but on the NHS so have to get to a BMI of 30 before I'll be considered. Hope it all goes well for you - good luck with the weight loss x

I have pcos and 3 kids. So don't give up hope girls for anyone trying.

I did really well on slimming work last year and then in October I got the mirena coil put in and I piled on the lbs.

Back to slimming world and motivated more than ever.

I need to lose this weight to be healthy and happy. It's down to me. And I know it's gonna be tough but SW worked before and I can do it again!

Hi slimming world worked for me inthe past the first time I went then I stopped going and quit smoking and put all of it bk on and more. I went back again last January and my weght just fluctuated so stopped once again. I am a bit of a serial dieter. This last month iv been eating low gi but mixing it with sw at home and I think its slowly working. Trying not to weigh myself too much because on the weeks I feel I lost I weigh and I havnt and I get really down so just trying to continue everyday like a new day x

Hello,

I've got PCOS with insulin resistance and my GP was very negative when I was diagnosed saying I need to lose weight but it's almost impossible to do so with the condition, I left feeling doomed to be fat forever!!

But actually you CAN lose weight with PCOS, my short weight loss journey so far has been a little up and down but that's through my choices and not because of PCOS.

I'm doing Slimming World and almost lost a stone but have put some on again over the festive period. Back on track now though!

I just want those other ladies with PCOS to not feel too negatively about it, you can lose weight and take back control of your health again.

Happy slimming xx

Back