New to this

wellington

Hi

I joined this forum this evening after reading some diary entries this week, and found this site really intresting, I dont know if i am posting this in the right place though

I have been battling with my weight for years now, but in the last couple of years my weight has really got out of control to the point that I left my job last year after working there for 7 years, I felt due to my weight ,getting there was a real struggle and I felt humilated every day, so for my mental health I handed in my notice, of course I told them I was going somewhere else

I have been dieting for years and have tried all kinds of diets the only one working for me was Phentermine tablets which was prescribed by my last doctor and I went from 18 stone to 11 stone within the year and I felt great that was in 1999, however over the last 9 years I have put on 15 stone, writing that makes me feel sick that I have managed to let my eating get so out of control to get to this size, I am now more or less housebound as my legs and feet are very swollen and find walking agony after a few minutes, or really doing anything much, I also feel I dont want anyone to see me like this

I went to my doctor in June 2008 to ask if she could help and if obesity surgery was an option, she refered my on to the local hospital where I had an appointment on 15/07/08 to see a consultant at the hospital, so I felt really hopeful

When I attended the hospital, I was weighed and height taken I was told my BMI is 62 at 5ft 4 and 26 stonne, I then went to see the consultant, I am so glad I took my husband in with me as I have never been so humilated in my life, there was the consultant and another four people, I know one was a dietician but who the rest was I dont know, The consultant went through a questionaire, ranging from what I ate to did I still have an active sex life to was I abused as a child, his manner was so abrupt, when he asked if I ate any sweets on answering yes tutted and rolled his eyes, every question I answered he made a derogatory coment and tutted, I ended up crying which made him worse, I really could have just got up and left, but know my quality of life is so bad due to this weight, that I just exist and do not live

I was told to lose a stone and he would see me in four months on the 15/12/08, and if I did not lose this not to come back, I have started dieting and know I can lose the stone if i really stick to it, but being in the house all day is hard, I do my shopping online so try and just buy health food , I fear when I go back he will ask me to lose more as he did mention that I have to be BMI between 40 - 50, so that would mean losing 6 stone before being considered,

I am so low :cry:and just the uncertainty is making me ill, has anyone else had any experience of gastric surgery in Scotland and the timeframes and criteria

Apologies for this longwinded message

Many Thanks Gail

Hiya gail and please no apologizies whatsoever!! To hear your story just breaks my heart to see ya in this amount of pain emotionally. I am disgusted to the way that doctor treated ya; so much for professionalism. Have ya decided what kind of diet plan ya want to go under? Hospital doctors dont want to listen to patients but rather look at a patient and blame their own weight on them. They all want ya to lose the weight but dont offer any advice on how to go about it which is sickening. They are not bothered to deal with the problem cause they blame the patients for stuffing their faces in the first place however what they dont realise is that obesity is a disease. None of asked to be this way!! There are so many diets on this site but if ya want to lose weight fast then the only two that I know about so far would be cambridge diet and liptotrim diet, on the other hand if ya want to lose it slowly then there are other diets such as weightwatchers, slimming world to name a few. When I first came onto this site I asked alot of questions about diets I didnt know so I eventually found the one that is currently working for me which is Lipotrim but everyone is different so it really depends on the individual. Ya have already made the first step so well done and we are all here to offer ya as much advice as we are able to. So anytime ya are feeling low or just want a natter log on here and we will be happy to help. I think this is one of the best forum's around to have support from people who are also in the same boat as yourself. There is also a gastricband surgery section on this site as well so it may be worth checking it out as they may be able to offer more advice regarding the surgery. I wish ya all the best and remember ya are not alone!! Take care:grouphugg:

Thankyou for your kind words,
I have been naviagating the site and found the WLS pages
I have been cutting out all the rubbish I eat for the last 2 weeks but haven't weighted myself yet for feel going up the stairs easier

Thanks Gail

Well ya are on the right track, dont forget to drink loads of water although it maybe difficult of ya if your loo is upstairs. Eat loads of fresh fruit and veg and cut carbs, easier said than done but we are right behind ya!!

Hi Gail,
Having read your message i have to say it made me quite upset that a professional, a Dr who is supposed to help and look after patients would treat you in such a manner. I always thought people who wanted to become a Dr, were people who wanted to help people, this guy was obviously hiding behind the door when manners and common decency were handed out, but dont give him another thought! he doesnt know you personally, and didnt try to, so his opinion is irrelevant, we are all here to help you and support you in a proper way, when people treat you badly, you tend to turn to food then for comfort (well i do!)
I wish you all the luck in the world with your weight loss, its never easy but with the right encouragement i am sure you will do great. Just start off slowly, and make yourself some goals, maybe one to hit by xmas?
But we are here for you, keep us posted
xxx

Hiya hun, :welcome: to minimins. im sorry to hear how that doctor treated you shame on him. I see you mananged to find the wls forum :) You will get lots of support and advice on here xx

So sorry to hear about your experience with that dr - I hope that when you go back in december you have lost more than he asked for so you can stick 2 fingers up at him! Good luck xxx

Hi, welcome to Minimins. :) I'm relatively new as well.

Sammy84 is right; set yourself some smaller goals. That way, when you hit them, you'll feel much more acheived, and the weight will come off in no time! Just take it half a stone at a time. :)

Hi

I joined this forum this evening after reading some diary entries this week, and found this site really intresting, I dont know if i am posting this in the right place though

I have been battling with my weight for years now, but in the last couple of years my weight has really got out of control to the point that I left my job last year after working there for 7 years, I felt due to my weight ,getting there was a real struggle and I felt humilated every day, so for my mental health I handed in my notice, of course I told them I was going somewhere else

I have been dieting for years and have tried all kinds of diets the only one working for me was Phentermine tablets which was prescribed by my last doctor and I went from 18 stone to 11 stone within the year and I felt great that was in 1999, however over the last 9 years I have put on 15 stone, writing that makes me feel sick that I have managed to let my eating get so out of control to get to this size, I am now more or less housebound as my legs and feet are very swollen and find walking agony after a few minutes, or really doing anything much, I also feel I dont want anyone to see me like this

I went to my doctor in June 2008 to ask if she could help and if obesity surgery was an option, she refered my on to the local hospital where I had an appointment on 15/07/08 to see a consultant at the hospital, so I felt really hopeful

When I attended the hospital, I was weighed and height taken I was told my BMI is 62 at 5ft 4 and 26 stonne, I then went to see the consultant, I am so glad I took my husband in with me as I have never been so humilated in my life, there was the consultant and another four people, I know one was a dietician but who the rest was I dont know, The consultant went through a questionaire, ranging from what I ate to did I still have an active sex life to was I abused as a child, his manner was so abrupt, when he asked if I ate any sweets on answering yes tutted and rolled his eyes, every question I answered he made a derogatory coment and tutted, I ended up crying which made him worse, I really could have just got up and left, but know my quality of life is so bad due to this weight, that I just exist and do not live

I was told to lose a stone and he would see me in four months on the 15/12/08, and if I did not lose this not to come back, I have started dieting and know I can lose the stone if i really stick to it, but being in the house all day is hard, I do my shopping online so try and just buy health food , I fear when I go back he will ask me to lose more as he did mention that I have to be BMI between 40 - 50, so that would mean losing 6 stone before being considered,

I am so low :cry:and just the uncertainty is making me ill, has anyone else had any experience of gastric surgery in Scotland and the timeframes and criteria

Apologies for this longwinded message

Many Thanks Gail

Hiya Gail, I work for the NHS and it saddens me to hear of the complete lack of empathy and understanding you received. Bed side manner .......I think not! Some of these consultants think they are god. I read the surgery part of the forum quite a bit. They really are a gutsy bunch on there and I admire them so much. And they know everything that you need to know about getting surgery. Sending you every good vibe for your weight loss.
You go for it big time, and next time you're in a room with them, just visualise them naked on the loo, it always works for me.
Janey xxxx

Back