New to up and down

I really don't want to preach to you 2 but you really have to eat on your UP days. 1400 is great if your day was an intermediate but too low if it was an UP, if you want a glass of wine have one you have to remember you are NOT dieting on your UP days. Look through my Diary, see waht I eat and look at my losses. I can see me on this diet till I reach goal then using it by having 1 oe 2 down days a week to maintain. Thats because its easy, its not a vlcd that promises fast results its a way of eating. If you are going to limit your UP days so strictly your body will not release the 'skinny gene' and you will store all your UP day cals as your body will think its in a 'famine'. The reason so many people leave this diet is because they find the DD 's too restricting and they do not use their UP days to their advantage, this diet does work but for it to work succesfully you have to do it properly. I am not saying you wont lose any weight but I am sayting you won't get the full benefits that this way of eating has to offer and you won't last long term. Its really nice having other members here on JUdd and I want you to stick around and there is more chance of that if you are actually following the plan ;)

Thanks bajoleth,

Im a typical comfort eater who has problems with overeating and portion control so I do feel that I need to monitor what I'm eating on UD's. When I say I'd like a glass of wine, I would struggle not to finish the bottle, which is then around 800 cals. If I don't keep an eye on it I know that my cals level could very easily fly up to about 4000, with that there could be no weight loss.

So I am trying to eat in and around my set target, 2044, I'm weighing everything now and making a concerted effort to know what the cal allowance is for every item. But I'm not denying any food groups etc

On a positive note, I'm hoping that by doing this when I'm lossing will put me in a good place for maintaining. Hopefully by then I'll be able to know what a perfect portion is by sight and be fulfilled by it.

14 lost : 53 to goal

I do understand hun, and sticking to your upper limit is the way to go, its just when I see you hovering around 1400 on an UP day that worries me, we need members to stick around in this section and tell everyone else what a brill diet it is lol x

I read about a lady on an American site that lost about 5 stone on Juddd and she maintains on 1 DD a week and eats freely the rest of the week, if she has overdone it one week she just ups to 2 DD and she has maintained for several yrs, that sounds like a plan to me x (oh and her DD were 700 cals on maintenence so not so bad )

My first UD I tried to ration the cals early in the morning thinking I'd eat them all that night, think I need to have some sort of snack with my tea break on work days to try and balance it out a bit

Going to a BBQ today, and there will prob be more cals in wine than food but can't wait lol

Enjoy it and don't feel guilty x

Maybe your up day is far more calories than mine. But by the time d nibbled my cheese I was at 1500 ish which is only 100 below my personal up day figure. As I struggle to eat "healthy" foods (I'm trying to avoid my real weight triggers -bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) then for me to get over 800 is sometimes a real struggle. And yes, I'm over weight by over 3 stone based on that.
Today should be a down day but it's too nice! It's easier to have down days when I'm at work!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi gentoo and a belsted welcome - it's great to see some activity on here x

Thanks karenlou.
A DD today - fromage frais for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was roast chicken breast, ham, peppered beef and turkey slices (yes all cold meat). And my snack two chunks of green and blacks chocolate.
Total 343 calories (only 18 over goal - must restrict myself to one chunk next time and I'd have been 2 under!!!)
And as I wasn't in pain for the first time in two weeks I managed some arm exercises and 30 situps. (without breaking a sweat!)
Now going to relax with a green tea (or 3) and my laptop planning for the special needs transition group (eek - only a few weeks left!)
Having had a static weigh in (what does STS stand for?) for over a week I'm hoping for a loss this week - anything would be a start!!

Excellent DD, a STS is a 'Stay The Same', hope you see a downward trend soon :)

That's a fab dd, I'm thinking proper food might be the way to go instead of vlcd packs

I can't stomach milkshakes/shakes do I'd never be able to join you guys with that. One thing dukan taught me was that you can eat loads of protein foods for very few calories. So as long as you like your meats (and eggs) you can eat lots without it adding up too quickly. Being protein it keeps you fuller for longer too (and helps reduce your overall appetite). The thing I miss though is something with a crunch!
An UD tomorrow. Planning to have chicken drumsticks and cherry tomatoes (with pickled red cabbage, beet root and onions) for lunch and eat a real dinner with the family.

Hi there!

I'm here to follow! Sounds great- im allergic to the majority of meal replacement shakes so I can't do it either!

Hope you're having a good day!

Ruth
X

I am with you on the protein things, I always have sliced ham, beef in on a DD in case I need a snack, and usually make a salad with them for very few calories.
Have a good UP day :)

A pleasant UD today. Chicken curry for dinner with salad items rather than rice. I have enough calories left for a snack but as I have to bake a cake later for my year 11 leavers I might save them for some nibbling!!!

Hi there - sounds like you're going great guns.

I love hard boiled egg whites on a DD - I give the yolks to the dog :-D

Official Weigh in this morning (7 days). I've had 3UD, 3DD and 1IM and up to yesterday I'd lost nothing. :(. This morning the scales showed a very pleasant 1.4lb loss. Let's hope it continues.

I'd be happy with a 1.5 if it meant I can still have my eating days :)

Maybe try taking up the exercise to increase loses? Says me the big immobile elephant!

Excellent start, well done :0clapper:

Ditto the immobility. Major knee problems at the moment. Had started "the shred" but had to stop after 8 days because of the pain. Trying to do situps at the moment. Just adding a few more each day. But even those hurt :(. Hey ho! I'll get there eventually.

Maybe look at kettlebells? It's a cardio thing but mostly using your upper body do its easy on the knees (and hips in my case). There a forum here under the fitness section, check it out. There's quite a few of us immobile birds there

Back