New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

Morning Caz! Thanks for catching us up. Should you wait until after your holiday to join -- as then you'd not "waste" your vacation weeks right away?

Last edited:
Exactly 4 weeks until we get the keys to the flat! Can't believe how quickly it's all coming around. I'm going into school on July 8th to meet my class, staff etc. There's quite a list of things that we need for the flat (towels, bookcase, desk, desk chair) but it's an expensive month so not sure how much we'll actually be able to end up getting. We're talking about getting rid of a car and going down to one (selling mine and me buying Aaron's) and a motorbike instead due to one parking space and also need and cost. We don't really NEED two cars and considering the cost (£300 a month for Aaron's insurance) it's probably not really worth it.

Chest still pretty bad, if it's not better by middle of next week I'll get to the doctors but I'm hoping it'll clear up without antibiotics. I get them so often I usually try to let them run their course and go away themselves.

Mel are you only allowed a certain number of vacation weeks with SW?

Exactly 4 weeks until we get the keys to the flat! Can't believe how quickly it's all coming around. I'm going into school on July 8th to meet my class, staff etc. There's quite a list of things that we need for the flat (towels, bookcase, desk, desk chair) but it's an expensive month so not sure how much we'll actually be able to end up getting. We're talking about getting rid of a car and going down to one (selling mine and me buying Aaron's) and a motorbike instead due to one parking space and also need and cost. We don't really NEED two cars and considering the cost (£300 a month for Aaron's insurance) it's probably not really worth it.

Chest still pretty bad, if it's not better by middle of next week I'll get to the doctors but I'm hoping it'll clear up without antibiotics. I get them so often I usually try to let them run their course and go away themselves.

Mel are you only allowed a certain number of vacation weeks with SW?

Can you add him as an extra driver on your insurance?
I think you can have 6 weeks. I'll ask a friend just to be sure.

Very exciting -- so soon you'll have your own place!

£300 a month?:eek: Do you not mean £300 a year?
Check out your local gumtree and Friday ads for bookcase, desk and chair. If you are prepared to collect, they practically give them away. I've a lovely wood computer desk in the garage I would love rid off, but it's a bit of a drive.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

Nope, 300 a month! Well 270 for 10 months, 2700 a year. He's male, under 25, lives in a big city, no NCB and has points on his licence, it's an expensive business. Even my insurance is going up to about 700 there.

Only issue with second hand is if it's built, not got a big car to transport things. Definitely get a second hand desk chair though, much cheaper and also will fit in my car no problem.

Surely from Manchester you could go to Blackpool any time you want, for the day? It's only an hour and would save on hotels? That way too, you can go at short notice when the weather's nice.

I am excited, kind of. There's just so much change and so much to do before moving that the excitement isn't quite sinking in yet! I just hope that I meet new people and make friends of my own up there too.

Blackpool is close and probably doable for a day trip but we've seen a good deal that's only £50 for a night in a hotel, dinner the night before and breakfast in the morning so we're talking about doing that. I don't know whether we definitely are but it's something that we're talking about.

We've been looking into the car and bike situation. The car currently costs Aaron around £380 a month for the monthly payment and insurance, a bike would cost him roughly £200 a month for both. For my car I'll have to pay £250 extra insurance to change my address but only £130 if it was his car but then I'd be taking over the £106 a month payment. We're still not sure what to do really.

A month to go...!! Sounds exciting and stressful :)

I'm sure you will be super organised for the move.

I am excited, kind of. There's just so much change and so much to do before moving that the excitement isn't quite sinking in yet! I just hope that I meet new people and make friends of my own up there too.

Blackpool is close and probably doable for a day trip but we've seen a good deal that's only £50 for a night in a hotel, dinner the night before and breakfast in the morning so we're talking about doing that. I don't know whether we definitely are but it's something that we're talking about.

We've been looking into the car and bike situation. The car currently costs Aaron around £380 a month for the monthly payment and insurance, a bike would cost him roughly £200 a month for both. For my car I'll have to pay £250 extra insurance to change my address but only £130 if it was his car but then I'd be taking over the £106 a month payment. We're still not sure what to do really.

Do not pay for a car and leave it in his name. Be careful. Even in the best and most loving relationships -- financial issues are number cause for disagreements.

If you were to buy his car (you said yours might fail MOT) because it was a good deal -- that's one thing. But, then would he think that it was "still his"? It might be better to let him sell his car -- make do with yours until you need otherwise.

I assume the £250 is an annual increase? I guess heavier traffic and higher theft, vandalism, etc. is the reason for the increase.

It's a sticky situation --

No it would be my car and transferred into my name rather than me just taking over the payments. Yeah that extra £250 is for the annual increase and admin fees.

Had a lovely weekend. School summer fayre yesterday which Aaron helped with and we went for lunch and then spent the evening relaxing, watching TV etc, was lovely. Then today had a nice slow morning and then went to lunch with my sister and nieces. He's taken the first box of my stuff up there with him! I didn't like saying bye, I never do but today I especially didn't want to. I'm looking forward to not having to say goodbye on Sunday afternoons anymore!

Last edited:
Had a chat with Aaron and we've decided to definitely start Slimming World once we move. There's a meeting at 7pm on Tuesdays just up the road, we've decided to go to that one. Aaron was very against meetings when we last talked about things like this but he's agreed to come to the meeting with me, gave him the option to not come but said that he would. Think the structure and support will do us good. I thought about putting it off until after the holiday but that's then 5 weeks 'wasted' in a way. I doubt we'll go away much so the limited holiday weeks won't be a problem. I've got my SW books somewhere so think I'm going to have a read of them and start kind of following it, looking at the free food and trying to stick to that as much as possible.

Morning Caz,

Had a chat with Aaron and we've decided to definitely start Slimming World once we move. There's a meeting at 7pm on Tuesdays just up the road, we've decided to go to that one. Aaron was very against meetings when we last talked about things like this but he's agreed to come to the meeting with me, gave him the option to not come but said that he would. Think the structure and support will do us good. I thought about putting it off until after the holiday but that's then 5 weeks 'wasted' in a way. I doubt we'll go away much so the limited holiday weeks won't be a problem. I've got my SW books somewhere so think I'm going to have a read of them and start kind of following it, looking at the free food and trying to stick to that as much as possible.

Plus, if you're away in the UK I think you can attend a meeting where you are holidaying.

I hope you have a good day.

I keep thinking about SW once I've weaned myself off the packs but the cost puts me off - the cost of meetings plus the food is rather a lot for me. I'll have to tinker with my budget and see what I can do. I like the idea of meetings because it means you are accountable to someone other than yourself! X

I keep thinking about SW once I've weaned myself off the packs but the cost puts me off - the cost of meetings plus the food is rather a lot for me. I'll have to tinker with my budget and see what I can do. I like the idea of meetings because it means you are accountable to someone other than yourself! X

That's why I need it. But, I couldn't find the meeting this morning! Even with the Sat Nav. I'll try a different one.

I've had to end that anyway, they tried to take the money from my account without telling me the date (though they swear they told me via email but I've forwarded the only email I had from them which didn't have a date) and then wanted to charge me £25 because the direct debit failed... the membership is only £18 for a month! So I told them to sod off and cancelled my direct debit and now they've had nothing. I refuse to pay that, it's ridiculous. There's a gym that Aaron goes to but it's about £40 a month which seems expensive! So not sure what's happening there really.

Just as well as you are moving now anyway. I pay about £20 a month at the hotel I go to. It has a gym, pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub, and a very nice view! I reckon it's good value so long as I go at least twice, if not three times, a week, which I do. £40 is way over the top, I would seriously question that, a joint membership maybe but not for one person. Are you using the exercise bike in your room instead? And the Jacuzzi? What does Aaron think of having a Jacuzzi in the house?

Back