New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

That sounds like a lovely plan. My birthday is September too, all the best people's birthdays are ;)

I think so.

Hello you lovely people! Feel in a really good mood today, not sure why but I was last night too so much so that even Aaron noticed and you know what men are like with noticing things! I just feel really good about life at the moment, everything is exactly how I want it to be, all I need now is to start shifting lbs again when I get back from holiday!

So, only two days until holiday and things are all falling into place. You guys probably know I'm a bit of a planner, I like to be organised and have lists! Lists are getting ticked off nicely, bags are packed, travel insurance is booked, Aaron's present and cake are bought and ready in my hand luggage, arranged Aaron's dad to take us to the airport... all that's left to do now is confirm arrangements with Aaron's dad (we're there for tea tonight so will then), do photocopies of passports and insurance papers (I've got a printer that'll do that), check in online tomorrow and print boarding cards and do a bit of pampering - go and get my nails done, do my own toe nails etc. I have an online list on this website (dontforgetyourtoothbrush) which splits everything into in advance, 2 weeks before, 1 week before, 1 day before, night before and on the day... it's put pack bags on the 1 day before tab... ha the list maker obviously doesn't know me very well, it was done Saturday and even then that was only because it was when Aaron was here, I'd have rather do it even earlier... I'm a freak, yes I know!

You're packed already :eek:! You must have two of everything. My electric toothbrush and hairbrush don't go in until the morning of travel. DH packs a couple of days before (and then I sneak stuff out the night before because he always takes too many clothes!) LOL.

Well not packed quite everything but most stuff. We have got two toothbrushes each as we used to keep one each at his and mine. All clothes are packed, holiday toiletries are packed, just need to pack shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, make up, straighteners and hair dryer on the day.

Ah but not if you do a packing list, then you know exactly what you still need to pack :D

Ah but if you make a list as detailed as mine you'd be OK! We still need insect repellent but I popped to Tesco and they wanted £2.50 for a tiny little spray bottle! Why so expensive?! :(

I got mine from home bargains... They have the jungle formula stuff for £3 something. It worked pretty well (but I used stronger stuff when I was around malaria and dengue fever) I think they do non deet based ones too if you're not a chemical fan.

For toiletries I usually do home bargains or B&m just because its the same stuff soooo much cheaper. The dry shampoo form there is pence rather than the gazillion pounds they charge at boots etc

Urgh dry shampoo... hate it! Don't know why but I really, really don't like using it.. something to do with the feel/texture/smell combination I think. All toiletries and make up now packed up, all that's left is to get some insect repellent. I've got a very little bit of my stuff left from Thailand which was amazing but that won't be enough, I'll try Home Bargains thanks Kate. Passports copied, insurance printed, all paperwork collated and packed. Now all I need is to actually go on holiday - is it time yet?! Booked to get my nails done tomorrow so when I'm out for that I'll pop to home bargains.

Now that holiday stuff is all sorted I'm doing some school bits. Did all that laminating the other day, not I have to cut half of it up! Done some other bits too though like coat peg and drawer labels. Just sat in front of the TV catching up on a TV series I like whilst doing it, it's actually quite therapeutic!

How exciting! I'm not as organized as you -- but i do like a good list.

I always worry I'll miss something and realise I've not got enough of something so like to do it a good few days ahead. Like this time I realised I need new mascara, which I've known for a while but kept forgetting. It helps me get excited when I pack too lol

Not even been to Tunisia yet and we're talking about next summer! We've decided to head out to Thailand, see some people I worked with out there and see some of the things I never managed to while I was there. Thailand was a big part of my life so would be nice to share that with Aaron.

I lived out there for 8 months teaching English, it's what made me decide to follow a career in teaching.

It was and though I did enjoy it I did miss home quite a bit at times and it kind of overshadowed the experience at times although I enjoyed it I didn't really appreciate it til I left. It was amazing though, made some memories that'll stay with me forever.

I envy your sense of adventure Caz. There is no way i could pack up my life for 8 months and go to a different country.

Hi Caz, I'm one of those natural born organisers too !! Packing is even part of the fun for me !! ( MrD lurves that I do his, to a certain extent too !!) I use one of our guest bedrooms as my packing central zone and start a few weeks before we leave..... I don't actually pack until we're about to leave but everything is laid out ready !!! I also always take a big black folder which has a full paper back up of all our travel documents, planned routes and timetables, etc,etc.

Actually packing for Mexico will be so much easier, being AI and a lazy beach bum holiday, lol !!! Usually we are dashing around all of the UK or juggling two different countries in one trip. Never been to Thailand sounds wonderful, I've island hopped for months and lived in Australia for a short time. Do you think you and the bf would consider living abroad ??

Diva x

To be honest I never thought I could either SQ. It was just something that kind of happened. I talked to a friend about maybe trying to get TA experience over here and he suggested I look at teaching English in Thailand instead as I'd get the experience but have an amazing cultural experience at the same time. I googled, applied to first company I saw, 2 weeks later I was offered an interview on Skype, week later I had the interview and was offered a job straight away, a week or two later on my birthday (14th Sept) I found out where they were going to place me. A month later (20th Oct)I had packed my life into bags and boxes and I was on a plane! In that time we found out my mum had breast cancer so it was touch and go about whether I was going to go or not but she told me she wanted to. My sisters did too, told me not to dare cancel. She had surgery and it was actually the day I flew out that she got the results that said that the surgery was successful. It was a really emotional thing for me especially because of everything with my mum but it was an opportunity that I just couldn't turn down. I remember being on the plane waiting to get taxied out and I got a text from someone who at the time was a very good friend of mine telling me how much he'd miss me but how proud of me he was and that people talk about once in a lifetime opportunities all the time but it really was one and that it was a massive thing but that it would be life changing. Made me cry! He was right though, it was once in a lifetime and life changing. I should have been their longer but was desperate to get back and start my teacher training so took the risk of coming back but it all paid off, I got a place and everything worked out.

I'm glad there's someone who organises even more than me, Diva that's an amazing level of organisation! I've put all paperwork in an envelope and in hand luggage, no fancy black folder for me!

We've talked about living abroad actually, it's something we would like to do. I got offered interviews in Spain and Italy but decided not to go for them because of language etc., we'd do OK but because of Aaron working in admin he'd need a fairly good level of the native language. We've talked about moving out to Australia and I think that's something we're seriously looking into in a few years. I'm eligible for a permanent visa with or without sponsorship and Aaron can get one as my partner too. Western Australia is where I'd like to be (I have a couple of friends in Perth) and have been in touch with them about procedures. So basically we've got the process all laid out for when the time is right but that's not quite now. Aaron will have finished his degree in 3/4 years and will be more experienced in IT then too and so he'd get a job and visa relatively easily so we'll probably start the ball rolling about then unless we change our minds! We've said we'd like to go out and visit, get a feel for the place before we make that decision. Wouldn't have to be permanent though anyway, could always come back.

Back