Newbie FFL usa

brandy

Hi everyone!
My name is Brandy and I'm from the US.
I am starting Cambridge FFL this coming Monday 3/14 for the first time.
I'm a little nervous but really excited too!
I suffer from PCOS and am severely over weight.
I'm doing my starting weigh-in tomorrow night but, my goal right now is to lose 50 pounds.

My friend Rachel referred me to this website but, I don't know her screen name on here :p

I hope to get to make some friends on here :)

Hey Hun,

Welcome. This is a really fantastic site, and you'll get all the support from the lovely (and inspirational) ladies and gents here!!

Is Cambridge FFL just the same as our Cambridge Weight Plan, or are there differences?

:)

Thank you for the welcome!
I think it's pretty similar.
Here's the info I copied from their website:

Cambridge Food For Life

Background
The Cambridge Food For Life is the most versatile of the Cambridge nutritional formulas. The formula was developed in 1984 by Dr. Robert Nesheim specifically to meet guidelines provided by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Retaining the critical balance of the Original Cambridge, Dr. Nesheim increased the protein and carbohydrate content for an extra margin of safety when used as the sole source of nutrition.

Features

• A low 140 calories per serving
  • 33% of the USRDA for vitamins and minerals per serving
  • 33% of the required trace elements and electrolytes per serving
  • 13 to 15 grams of high quality protein per serving
  • Carbohydrate to protein ratio approximately 1.4 to 1 each serving contains 18 grams of carbohydrate. Carbohydrate is derived from fructose which is superior to sucrose derived carbohydrate
  • Only one gram of fat per serving
  • Mixes easily in a blender with water, diet soft drinks and flavorings for variety
  • Advanced flavor technology
Benefits

• When used as the sole source of nutrition, results in the maximum weight loss in the shortest possible time. 5 to 7 pounds per week is average.
  • Combines readily with controlled portions of conventional food for long term weight loss. Acts as a natural appetite suppressant when taken 30 minutes before mealtime.
  • A quick and easy way to prepare a meal replacement, nutritional supplement or meal on the go.
Flavors

• Vanilla
  • Chocolate
  • Strawberry
  • Eggnog
  • Cappuccino
  • Tomato
  • Chicken
  • Potato
  • Mushroom
Packaging
Packaged in 21 to 26.15 ounce cans with six cans to a case. Each contains 15 servings. Unopened shelf life is three to five years when stored in a cool dry environment. Note Super Oats contains 14 servings per can.

Eggnog?!!! Queer!!

Sounds similar, think we have a much greater range of flavours, plus we have porridge, water favourings and 'chocolate bars' too, but its the same principle (i.e. only eat CD products!!)

Once you're into it, you'll love it (especially the results!)

Blimey, just noticed

"5-7lbs per week average"

Sounds brilliant, ours is approx 3-4lbs a week I think, gotta get me some of the old eggnog!!

:p

Your Porridge is the same as our Oats as far as I understand.. or atleast similar.
We also have bars which I have a few of those but wont be using them for quite awhile as I'm doing SS for atleast 30 days.
We also have drink powders too like water flavorings.

I can't stand Eggnog normally so I didn't order that flavor! *gag*!

I got chicken, potato, oats, vanilla and 2 chocolate. Also a sample pack of bars and drinks but like I said above.. won't be doing the bars for awhile.

Theres actually 3 different US plans for Cambridge but, I chose the FFL program as it seemed to fit me best

Ah, I see, sounds similar. Will be nice to have someone follwing the american plan, we can all compare notes.

Why not start yourself a diary in the 'CD weight loss diaries' section. That way people can see how you get along, and offer help if you might need it. Also helps to stay on track when you write down how well you've done!!

There's also challenges you can join (e.g the March challenge, or 100% challenge), which help you to stay focussed.

Best of Luck with it sweets, look forward to 'seeing' you around here for a long while yet, and following your journey!!

Thank you so much! The diary is a good idea! I'm also thinking about Blogging my journey as well.
Looks like I'm going to fit right in here :)

Welcome, and good luck Brandy :)

Hi Brandy and welcome! :) xx

Hi Bandy good luck with Cambridge, once you get into you'll love the results xx

hi brandy and welcome to minimins a fantastic site for encouragement and support looking forward to reading your posts :D:D

Welcome to the forum Hun it's a great place for help and support! I'd be lost without it! X

bellefrogette and minimel have both used the american ffl programs in the past

welcome to minis and cambridge

Hi Brandy, wishing you the best of luck on weight loss journey. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Brandy,

Welcome to the forum. I am an American who has been living in Europe for 16 years, and I order FFL from the U.S. -- just the strawberry, chocolate and vanilla shake mixes. I did not care for the soups or other flavours that much. And, I prefer South Beach bars to CD ones (US or UK). And, I just use Quaker Oats... oats are oats, and I can take multivitamin. I also use Crystal Light instead of the CD water flavouring.

BTW -- I am losing weight at a nice steady 2 pounds a week, as I would because I am about 10 pounds from a bmi of 25. I am also older and not very active, but I am working on upping my exercise.

Although similar, the two Cambridges are not the same nor are the companies related. And, the American Cambridge diet was the first.

Food for Life has more limited flavours than the "original" US Cambridge 330 fomula, as it the newer version and is soy based.

Summayh is correct that both Belfrogette and I have or do use American products, but she uses the original 330 formula and I use FFL.

As I wanted "local" support I have a UK CDC and, so I also purchase some products from here. I prefer the US bars, as the UK ones have a lot of malitol in them. I also prefer the US soya based, and UK lactose free products, because they seem to agree better with me.

I thought the pre-mixed tetras (like little UHT milk boxes) would be handy to have, but I do not like the way those taste.

The differences are explained in a FAQ in the Cambridge forum.

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...54021-cambridge-diet-united-states-facts.html

Good Luck you with this diet. As most US customers rder on-line, you might want to look into a support group to help you along the way. OA, WW, etc. Once you have reached your goal weight, you'll want to move on to something like weight watchers for maintaining your losses.

I strongly recommend that you look at the Beck thread in CD maintenance, and consider ordering Judith Beck's The Beck Diet Solution. She is a cognitive behavourial therapist and working through her 6 week programme will help you be successful with losing the weight and keeping it off.

The people on this forum are lovely and supportive and will do their best to help you.

MM

thank you everyone for the warm welcome :) Today is day 1 ! I took my "before" pics last night and had a weigh in also. This morning for breakfast I had 1 scoop oats with 1 scoop chocolate.. the consistency honestly reminded me of vomit but, I chugged it down.. didn't taste bad but the texture was horrid.

Back