Newbie...having a bit of a tantrum!! Help please!!! :)

Smurph

Hello All,

I'm 28 & have been doing SW since 30/06/10.

Done SW before, about 6 years ago, no problems with it, lost a stone nice & easy.

Started back as I'd gained weight after giving up kickboxing due to an injury & getting too comfortable eating boyfriend-size portions!

First three weeks great, lost 7lb easy peasy. Had a week away, did have a few flexible since days so wasn't completely shocked when I gained 1/2lb, but I really didn't go crazy while I was away.

But, I went away, was really strict, had under 10 sins a day and did 5 gym classes, including kickboxing (finally back to it, yey!) and step classes, so high impact stuff, and I have maintained! I'm really p****d off, I don't know what I've done wrong?

I kept an honest food diary and there's nothing to pick out from my eating that would excuse the maintain?

I've weighed all my HEs & sins, I've eaten a high proportion of superslim foods, I've drunk no alcohol and barely any tea or coffee, what am I missing?!

I asked my consultant if it would be due to muscle gain (I didn't think so) and she said that probably not after a week. It's not my "star week", the only thing I can think of is my stomach hasn't been too good this week, slow digestion, bloating etc.

Any ideas gratefully received, as I'm getting very frustrated!! :sigh: 3 weeks and no loss (a 1/2lb gain, in fact).

I have always been told that when the fat turns to muscle you can even weigh heavier :eek: Have you tried measuring yourself i find that is the surest way to know how are you doing.

Hi smurph, I know it's really frustrating when you've stuck to it and it isn't showing on the scales. I haven't done SW so can't really comment on that, only thing I would say is are you eating enough, as if you don't eat enough it can slow down weight loss as your body goes into starvation mode.

Good idea from madchef to measure yourself as sometimes weight loss doesn't show on the scales but your shape changes.

I know it's hard but don't give up as I'm sure the scales will start moving again soon.

Thanks guys - I think I will start taking measurements, it's hard to tell if I'm losing weight off my belly though, as I'm really bloated! :( grr!

I'm determined to stick with it, but it's so frustrating. I think I'm still eating enough, I've not had much today as not felt up to eating much, but I have been eating a decent amount otherwise.

Hopefully it just means I'm turning into a lean, mean muscle machine ha ha!

Hmm just had a thought...I've been doing mainly extra easy this week, and didn't have my "b" choice a few days (I have trouble with bread/cereals sometimes, so avoid them if I'm feeling bloated)...maybe this has meant I haven't had enough calories, combined with keeping my sins low (below 10)?

I think I'll try having olive oil as my b choice this week & see if it helps.

Hello and :welcome2:

Good luck on your weight loss ! Try not to get too frustrated ! You will get there :)

Right, things better be moving now!!!

Feeling a bit more positive, been making an effort to have my HEs even if I don't really want them (I did not think I would have to force myself to eat MORE to lose weight....stoopid faulty stomach!) and my home scales seem to be registering a bit of a downwards trend.

Lets see what happens on weds! :eek:

hi i joined SW at the beginning of july and also went away last week on hols. I dont know if you had the same experience as me, but i too was fairly conservative with what i ate and got back and weighed the same. I have found the last couples of days now im home im constantly hungry, i want to eat a lot more than when i was away.

i wondered whether it was because i did a lot of walking when i was away, and my body was trying to catch up on the calories it missed out on and therefore made me eat more.
Just a theory mind you, let me know how you get on, hopefully you'll get back on the weight loss wagon xx

Hi BB,

Could be, apparently these bodies work in mysterious ways?!?!

Fingers crossed for both our next weigh ins...there is going to be some serious tantrum throwing if I haven't lost this week, ha ha!! :)

hi hun, sorry to hear you're finding it tough, one thing i would suggest is are you sure you're drinking plenty? could be something as simple as that hun! dont get disheartened just keep at it and the weight will come off :)

by the way, in the time you have been away from SW, they have rebranded "sins" as "syns", not really sure why but there you go ;) xx

Hello!

First things first, no way you will have gained muscle in that space of time. BUT, if you did more exercise than you're used to, you could well have retained water. Make sure you're drinking lots, but even that might not help, but don't worry, its a short term thing.

I started running properly again last week and gained 1.5 lbs. I did go slightly over my syns, but know I have dropped a lot more this week - for me, it shows on the scales the second week after I've started an activity or upped my exercise load.

Something else to consider - many people have patterns in their weight loss. For me it goes in a 2-3 week cycle. Week 1 I drop a few pounds, week 2 I STS but notice it more in the mirror (or tape measure), then the following week I drop a few lbs. So this week, I'm expecting a bigger loss - I'll find out on Wednesday, but my home scales tell me so.

Whatever is going on, don't judge by one weeks results.

Good luck and keep up the exercise.

Oh, the other thing I found, when I do more running (I do 20-30 miles a week), I need more carbs for weight loss. Last week I did a week of mainly red, didn't get as much in the way of carbs and gained. I lose weight and exercise much better on Extra Easy as I can have rice, pasta etc. but I stick to brown.

This is what works for me. It may, of course, not work for you, but worth a try.

I have always been told that when the fat turns to muscle you can even weigh heavier :eek: Have you tried measuring yourself i find that is the surest way to know how are you doing.

Sorry, but fat does not turn to muscle. It is physically impossible.

I would personally try mixing things up a bit.

Sounds like your doing EE which I know doesn't work for everyone. Why not try a few red or green days this next week & see if that shocks your body into a good loss??

I managed an avarage 2lbs loss each week while loosing (sometimes more!) all the way down to taking target & only ever done red & green days.

You sound like your really bloated which maybe all the carbs from EE - so by cutting these out on a red day might help :)

Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! I do feel like I've lost this week, will get the result in half an hour!

I've done a couple of green days this week, so maybe you're right - variety is the spice of life and all that!!

Will be keeping up the exercise as it must be doing me good even if it isn't showing yet. And drinking more! :)

Back