Newbie in NZ looking for some advice

bex2203

Hi everyone :)

I am new to SW. signed up today after feeling rubbish for ages and seeing my friend lose 6 stone through the plan!!!!!!! :D :D

The only problem is I am in NZ and I struggled around the supermarket today as they don't have a lot of what there is in the UK.
Firstly... no frylight. Does anyone have a good alternative way to fry food with low syn value?
Secondly... no fromage frais or quark :( have googled a substitute and both recommend substituting plain yogurt so I guess that will have to do. I did get some low fat cottage cheese also which i though might be like quark?!
Thirdly... yogurt itself. I don't think I have found any "fat free" yogurt. The ones I have found are 97.5% fat free. in the eyes of SW does that make them fat free or low fat?
Finally... Is stevia counted as a free sweetener... i really really dont want to up my aspartame intake!

Thanks in advance

Becky

Hi becky, welcome!

It's a struggle when you can't find what you need isn't it!

You don't have to use frylight, you can use any spray that's only 1 kcal per spray.

Quark isn't really like cottage cheese. It is technically a cheese but it's smooth and creamy and takes on the flavour of whatever you mix it with. (I can't imagine hot chocolate mixed with cottage cheese would have the same effect ) I think plain yogurt or creme Fraiche would be the closest alternative.

I can't give you a definitive answer about the 97.5% ff yogurt. My best guess would be that if they had any syns, they would be negligable (check the sugar content though as high sugar definitely means syns)

I'm almost certain that stevia is free and I think others on here use it.

Hope this helps a little!
K

Hi Becky, as Kikaroo says, any 1 cal spray for frying or syn a teaspoon of oil (2 syns) in a non stick pan, incorporate the syns in your daily allowance.

Low fat Cottage cheese is good to snack on, I like it with a fresh chili, some seafood sticks/ prawns or lean meat. Sometimes have it in 4 ryvita original as above with some gherkins/ pickles too....

Do they have muller light yoghurts down there?

I'd really recommend starting a food diary on here, you'll get plenty of support and advice here.

As you've seen through your friends results, the plan really does work. Shouldn't be a problem being in NZ, I'm sure we can assist.

All the best

Quins

You can wipe a pan over with some oil on kitchen roll :) I often "season" a pan that way because I find frylight damages non stick. For SW chips etc put them into a large sandwich bag with a small amount of oil, 1tsp or similar and give it a really good shake to coat. This is a good point to add seasoning too.

Stevia is free :)

You can wipe a pan over with some oil on kitchen roll :) I often "season" a pan that way because I find frylight damages non stick. For SW chips etc put them into a large sandwich bag with a small amount of oil, 1tsp or similar and give it a really good shake to coat. This is a good point to add seasoning too.

Stevia is free :)
Hi Beck I am the same as you I live in Bulgaria can't get anything here low fat. That includes yogurt, cheese anything so it's hard doing sw. But I am trying really hard. Pam

Back