Newbie ketosis question

Monster munch

Hi folks,

This is my first post here but have been reading through all the threads for a couple days- what a great place :D

I'm doing a VLCD/PSMF diet and have lost 15lb in my first week woooo hooooo. Yesterday however, was day 8 and I had a "free meal" - this is allowed on my diet (I can have 2 free meals a week if I need) but I still felt guilty as hell and was convinced I had ruined all my hard work over the week. I had been on shakes only and was in ketosis which happened really quickly for me but yesterdays cheese burger with chips/fries and cheese had me certain I would have papped myself right out of ketosis. This morning however, my ketostix are still showing positive for ketones in my urine :confused: and get this, I didn't put on a single pound :confused: I was led to believe that as my glycogen stores would be replenished through all the carbs that I would immediately gain back at least a few pounds of water weight but that hasn't happened (not that I am disappointed of course!!).

So, regarding ketosis, does having excess ketones in my urine really mean that I am still in ketosis? And whY have I not put on any water weight - were the 15lbs lost last week all really fat loss? Prior to starting the VLCD I had already been eating low calorie and limiting my carbs so maybe my water weight was already lost?

Welcome. I'm guessing no one has responded as your question is technical and we aren't familiar with your Protein Sparing Modified Fast. Amazing First week loss. I haven't seen any others on your diet on here. So welcome and do keep posting as it's always interesting to learn about other programmes.

My guess is that you are still in ketosis - not sure about the science - maybe it's a short sharp shock. And maybe getting right back onto yr vlcd meant that the glycogen didn't stay. Your first week weight loss given your starting weight almost certainly included water weight.

My question for you is if your weekly meals are hamburgers and chips, how will you make the adjustment to the sort of meals that will keep you maintaining when you are at goal?

Good luck,

Ali

Back