Newbie needing help to lose weight

Depends on your personal preferences. When I was new to dieting, I found that going 'somewhere' and being held accountable helped a great deal - like an organised weigh in with an individual, I did Lighter Life in 2008, but Weight Watchers and Slimming World I believe have a similar structure in that way.
Having been through Lighter Life a few times I found I could turn to calorie counting and doing it under my own steam.

But - if anything I do think some sort of food control / restriction of choice was helpful to me. So replacement packs... or if the choice of meal was already made FOR me... because temptation is hard to resist! :)

This is is fab site for getting some support, especially if, like me , you're doing it without a group. Even just reading through the comments for inspiration is helpful for me.

I follow slimming world, although I am still learning the ropes! I find it easy to follow and easy to fit in with the family. You're not having to cut out food groups - but you do need to exercise a great deal of self control!

I have about 8 stone to lose so need to do something.
I've lost loads in the past with WW but have been trying SW, I like that you don't have to count points with SW but worry that I'm eating to much as I have a huge appetite, so now I'm ready to start trying to lose weight again I don't know which plan to follow

This is is fab site for getting some support, especially if, like me , you're doing it without a group. Even just reading through the comments for inspiration is helpful for me.

I follow slimming world, although I am still learning the ropes! I find it easy to follow and easy to fit in with the family. You're not having to cut out food groups - but you do need to exercise a great deal of self control!
I am thinking of trying SW but worry about my portions as I can eat loads

I find the portions a good size. I have a big appetite as does my 6ft 4in husband and we manage fine. Sometimes there are even leftovers!! In the few weeks I've been doing SW I've found my appetite getting smaller and not needing to snack as much in between. X

Last edited:
I am a stacker especially at work, I don't eat veg and hardly touch fruit.
I'm off work with a trapped nerve in my back so I'm trying to use the time to work out what plan I'm going to follow

Hi mollylilly. I'm not really clued up on all these different diets, I even had to read through a few posts before I realised what ww and sw stood for! Lol.
Anyway, I'm doing a version of Atkins, not really Atkins as I'm not really following all his rules, more of just a very low carb diet and it's going really well, 6lb in 4 days! I think it's partly because I was a major carb monster before hand but also because the food I get to eat on this diet is food I really enjoy, fry ups! Stir frys chicken, PORK SCRATCHINGS! lol and I can eat quite a lot of it, which is good for me, cause I love eating! Another thing I've learned through reading through this forum and other things is only eating until I'm actually full, before a few days ago, being stuffed and bloated is what I called full, I know dumb right haha but that's what I was doing!
Anyway maybe none of this is news to you but hopefully there's maybe somthing of use in it. Good luck with the diet.

Back