Newbie needs some help

Sew

Hi there,

i am new to this and would really appreciate some help. I am 117kg and 5'10" I am pretty broad and I think that my ideal weight is probably around 14-15 stone. I have put weight on as I have always been active but arthritis put a stop to his. Previously I have lost weight very quickly with Atikins and a son of Atkins but I don't like it and the weight comes straight back on. I have now had a hip replacement ( I am only 42) and am ready to low the pounds. I have started on slim fast fast 321 and have added some fruit, veg and surf like sugar free jelly I hint I am hitting about 1200-1400 calories a day and planning on only doing this for a couple of weeks really to shake my old eating habits and sort of make a buffer between how I did eat and how I do eat. My intention is after this fortnight to go to 1800-1900 calories a day with a cheat day a week is this a good idea or is the slim fast thing a bit silly and could it compromise future weight loss ? I like the idea of this as I am not too good where I have a lot o leeway but very good at following rules I don't have an option to join a slimming club and whilst I am contradicting myself I don't want an online plan I want to count calories and am very serious about this and think I have the will power to do it.

one other question I have is about eating what I work off I went he gm today and did a light workout and burnt approx 250 calories (it's only 5 weeks after surgery) so does this mean that when I am doing the say 1800 a day that I'd I burn 250 I should eat that ? I am assuming it would be better to make this with fruit and dried nuts etc than a packet of monster munch. Many thanks in advance

Hi Sew, Welcome to the forum... and well done on getting into losing some weight too.
Excuse me for mentioning it but I cannot make out whether you are male or female which is quite an important factor when it comes to losing weight as apart from the fact that men can lose so much quicker than women they also need a much higher calorie intake.
So presuming you are the latter.. I would have thought that it's better to just start off with lowering your intake of food by eating 1800 - 1900 and then reduce it to 1200 as your body starts to get used to it because it will then stimulate it into further losses.
From the info that I have picked up on various forums it is entirely up to you whether you eat the calories that you burn.
I wish you well with your endeavours.

Back