Newbie on a mission to have another baby

Ok redoing this as i've had loads of views yet no replies and im thinking i may have overwhelmed some so here is the short version lol!

Hi everyone, my name is Caroline and i am literally addicted to food.

I have used food as a comforting measure and never more so than since i had children. My big rewards at the end of a long day of housework and kids was to settle down to cream cakes, crisps and takeaways.

Last year i found myself at 16st 2 and a few half assed attempts later settled at a not much better 15 and a half stone which is where i have been up until recently and i have creeped back up to that 16 st mark and i am so ashamed of myself.

I dread my kids being bullied for having fat parents (my husband is very overweight too) and the final straw came today. My little girl begged me to run the parents race at her sports day and i just couldn't. I am huge and i can barely get off the sofa never mind run a race! The look of dissapointment on her face was heartbreaking and i am determined to lose weight so that i can run the parents race this time next year.

I figured all i need to do is lose a steady 1lb a week to get myself down to 12 stone in one year. It might be a bit ambitious to think i can stick to anything for a year, ive never been very good at sticking to diets, but i have to try.

I really want to get myself healthy for my family and for myself but i have to be honest i dont have a lot of faith in myself. I could really use the support of a forum like this.

Last edited:
Hi Caroline :) I recommend you read "Addictive Thinking" by Twerski, "Fat is a Feminist Issue" by Orbach, and "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Taubes :) Also anything by Geneen Roth.

I am a newbie here and I am a food addict as well. I have not been fat my whole life... I go up and down every few years. I hope you can develop confidence in yourself to achieve your goal. Really, us food addicts don't know how to care for ourselves. We just use food. We are like the misguided medieval doctors, putting leeches on their patients and bleeding them out, thinking we are helping. But really we're killing ourselves.

Food is not love. I still have a long way to go in teaching myself this fact. It's one thing to know it logically and another to truly believe it and put it into practice.

Do this for yourself, not just your kids or partner. You are worth it. :)

Oh txgardenia thank you so much for your reply. I was feeling a little lonely there. And thank you so much for the reccomendations aswell thats really helpful. The whole idea of being addicted to food is silly to most so its refreshing to be taken seriously and to be understood :D

Hi Carrie,
Well done in a very honest introduction.
Have you decided which diet you and hubby are goin to follow? If you're hoping for a steady weight loss plan which will educate you in healthy eating then I would strongly recommend slimming world xx

We have started on ww on our own. I have all my books etc from losing weight for our wedding 5 years ago :D but i have seen adverts for slimming world and had wondered about it. I like the sound of learning to eat better. With ww it doesn't really teach you about eating healthily it just teaches you to count points of whatever junk it is your eating. From your ticker etc it looks like you have had great success with it :)

Hi Carrie,

That's great that you have a plan and are already 'at it' so to speak!!
I did ww before I got married over 7 years ago! Lost about 4 stones but was STARVING!!! I understand it's all changed now and that the new plan with pro points is much better.

Yeah, I've been doing really well on SW. Been doing in for 5 months (although had the last 3 weeks more or less off plan due to losing my Dad) and have lost just under 3 1/2 stones. It's very easy to follow, & there's no need to do separate meals for other members of the family or buy expensive food. And hardly any weighing or counting either! So if you ever get bored with ww, look me up on the sw pages ;)

Good luck xx

I think you're fab for identifying where you've gone wrong. I have no idea why my eating habits are the way they are, but I know that I will try my best to change them.

Oh Dawn i'm so sorry for your loss. I can imagine dieting isn't top of your list of priorities at the moment but good on you for coming on here and supporting us newbies thats so kind of you :)
Thanks so much Nia. I also came accross a link between schedule fed babies and obesity. It is said that babies that are schedule fed lose thier insticts to identify and satisfy thier own hunger as thier needs are always met. As adults the schedule feeders still have no idea how to manage thier own food needs and over eat as a result. I asked my mum and sure enough i was schedule fed so i feel like i need to reconnect with my body (sorry for the hippyness of that lol) and start listening again, am i really hungry? Or am i actually thirsty? Or am i just bored? I need to start to listen again :D

Hi Carrie

Welcome to the forum! You will love all the support you receive here!

If you need any help or words of advice from one fresh starter to another please feel free to give me a shout!

Kirsty x

Omg after just one week i fell off the wagon!!! I went to a friends bday party on Saturday and filled my face then on Sunday it was fathers day so we went to a chinese restaurant :( I let myself off with it citing unique circumstances but i'm reeeeeeeeally struggling to get back into the frame of mind for it today :(

Back