Newbie on Sole Source week 2, but some days only 2 meals...

bedazzled1980

Hi everyone.
This is my eighth day on SS and im doing ok, have my first weigh in tmrw. But im a bit concerned as over the weekend I layed in so much I only managed to fit 2 shakes in, not 3. I still had 4 pints of water though.
Is it really bad only having 2 shakes?
Will it affect my weight loss?
I didnt do it on purpose only the day just went and i though id be sick if i had any more liquid!!!
Any advice would be great, thanks

Hey, im a newbie myself, but i know you wouldnt be getting all the nutrients you need?

Why not try spacing them out more, i lay in :) have one at 12, one at 4 one at 8. it works for me :) x

You really need to be having all of your shakes, as sophie says, you need all the nutrients, if you dont have enough you body may start to store fat, because it thinks its being starved, advice stop laying in lol, just try and get them in doesnt matter what time, you will be fine im sure

Actually its less to do with the storage of fat as you are only taking in 280 calories and more to do with the nutrients, specifically the protein.

A VLCD is specifically tailored to provide enough protein to protect your own lean muscle mass (anti-catabolic). Without adequate protein you will start to cannibalise your own protein stores. Protein in this case is muscle.

Your body does not differentiate between types of muscle, your heart is a muscle. Long term you could be putting yourself at risk, and as your body burns calories at rest based on your muscle requirements, long term you will be slowing down your metabolism.

Please try to have all your shakes.

Last edited:
Some people try to cut out a shake on purpose to try and lose weight quicker, but given a shake is what 150 calories max, you would have to cut out 3500 calories worth. Meaning you would have to cut out 23 shakes to lose 1lb!

So not worth it!

I know thats not what you have done here, but some people don't see that maths.

If you are struggling to have all three shakes then why not get some Tetra's as they are quick and easy to use, that way you will get the required nutrients which is essential on CD.

Agree with all the above :)

You must have all your shakes, mainly for the nutrients.

Also, people who have less often find their weightlosses aren't so good.

Hi, after reading the above...
Please can you tell me how comes some people that are doing ss have 3 shakes and some people have 4.. I know if you are above a certain height you have 4 but I am not.. just wondered why I have to have 4 Im only 5 ft 2.
Many thanks

Curlywurly, is it bcos your CDC wanted you to do SS+?? Only asking as mine did. I'm also doing 4 a day and having the milk in coffee. She said that the losses difference between SS and SS+ are minimal and doing SS+ your doc doesn't need informing yet taking only 3 a day means they need to be informed. May explain why they told you it's best to do 4 a day? x

Curlywurly, is it bcos your CDC wanted you to do SS+?? Only asking as mine did. I'm also doing 4 a day and having the milk in coffee. She said that the losses difference between SS and SS+ are minimal and doing SS+ your doc doesn't need informing yet taking only 3 a day means they need to be informed. May explain why they told you it's best to do 4 a day? x

Its funny actually as she advised me to do ss not ss+... I do find sometimes I only have 3 shakes though or 2 shakes and a bar but am trying to fit in more.. How tall are you? I dont have any milk either just shakes/bars and water..

I'm 5"7 and 3/4 lol so just under the 5"8 limit for min of 4 a day! My CDC was very reluctant about SS, said the difference in losses is minimal and being right on the border for the height having 4 a day would be better and the 200ml skimmed milk really helps in coffee at work etc as tried it black when doing the 3 and 200kcal meal option for a week and it's horrid.

What i tend to do now is a porridge for breakfast (usually around dinnertime if possible and not on earlies), a bar, a tetra and one other. Then have the 200ml skimmed milk in about 2-3 coffees throughout the day and the water.. Hope this helps? x

Well simple answer is hun - you don't! However to go to 3 a day and therefore SSing it on the min kcal intake you need to inform your doc and CDC of your intentions that's all x

Oh thanks so much Claire for all your advice, I think thats what it is then.. because if I only have 3 a day not really having enough calories so need to get checked by doc...

Thanks so much x

I think it's funny when people say they can't fit in three shakes. I've said it myself a couple of times when it's got to 9 or 10 at night and I still have to have one but it's less about not fitting it in and more about just not feeling like it. I mean when I think about the amount of food I could find time to fit in it's definately not about time! Try the tetras like tracey said, very small, just a little carton so not a lot if it's getting late and you can't be bothered with a shake.

Hi that makes me smile too...
I too have been riunning out of time and had a shake at 10pm int he past thinking... I have been so busy.. but yes I too always time to fit in a chinese or pizza.
Sometimes Ketosis does genuinely make you not hungry so you don't get the urge to eat like you would normally, but this is just a case of routine and discipline... int he morning maybe decide at what time you are going to have your shakes etc, you remember to have the water, so this really is no different.
What time you have your first weigh in nice girl?

Thankyou! They arent amazing compared to some people.. but they are getting me to where I want to be... I just miss food so much.. real NAUGHTY food!

Hi Tilly, my weigh in was yesterday evening and I have lost 8lb in my first week, so I'm really pleased. I just have to remember it's not likely to be that much every week!! I know it's funny what you say about managing to fit in all the rubbish but not 'finding the time' to drink a little shake teehee..
I nearly had my first wobble today, I had a long drive and drove past so many petrol stations - I so so so wanted to stop for something naughty like I normally would!! But I didn't, but darn it was hard!

To everyone - thanks for all your replies, they have been really helpful. xxx

Back