Newbie...Realistically, how much sensible weight loss is possible in a year?

Arcadia

I am hoping to lose approximately 4 stone in weight. Is this a sensible target over a period of 12 months or would I be expecting too much? Interested to hear how others have done in a year. Thank you :)

Loads of variables! It depends on things like:
  • Your age,
  • Starting weight,
  • How faithfully you follow the plan,
  • Whether you're exercising or just dieting,
  • If you're a first-time dieter or yo-yo-er
  • Whether you have weeks off for holidays/birthdays/christmas etc., or follow the plan all the time.
Things like that!

A sensible rate of loss is 1-2lbs a week. 4 stone is 56lbs...so in a year, yes it's totally achievable, even allowing for the odd gain.

However, even if you don't make your 4 stone target in a year, I can guarantee if you get started and try to make it, you'll be a darn sight closer to goal in 12 months than if you didn't try. :)

Thanks for the replies. Can I ask if you do red or green or EE?? Helliecopter it totally makes sense hearing you say 1-2 lbs a week over a year is easily doable. I suppose I wasnt thinking like that! I feel much more positive now :D

i think its doable hun
ive lost 4 stones 4.5lb since june 09 never been hungry and loving sw, but i have been 100% even over christmas which some people might call boring but the scales showed i have around 3 stones 11lb to go for 2010 and have given myself until christmas to lose it..
good luck with your journey and keep chatting these boards are fantastic
happy new year everyone

I joined ww on 28 Oct 08 and got to goal on 12th Oct 09, having lost 9 stone, I have since lost a further half stone or so. I stuck to the plan 100% and lost almost every week, and do a lot of excercise.

I do mostly Extra Easy with a few green days and very rarely, a red day.

I joined ww on 28 Oct 08 and got to goal on 12th Oct 09, having lost 9 stone, I have since lost a further half stone or so. I stuck to the plan 100% and lost almost every week, and do a lot of excercise.

wow thats amazing.....what exercise do you do? xx

Hiya...it took me a year to lose 4 stone and i took a VERY scenic route lol!

I think you should focus on 1 lb a week, if you do that, in a years time you will be just 4lb short of your four stone loss. I think 1 lb a week is very realistic.

All the best x

Back