Newbie thinking of doing SW.

paul1978

DO NOT QUIT !
Hi

I have previously done the Cambridge Diet 2 years ago and lost 7 stones. Unfortunately put it back on again (no fault of the diet I just didnt change my eating habits) but i LOVED the fact that the weight was falling off fast, around a stone per month.

BUT, life is getting a struggle, financial-wise, so can't really afford CD anymore at the mo and wont really be able to justify spending all that money on it (around £40 per week !!).

A friend of mine does SW and has lent me her SW book to have a look at and to decide for myself. She has lost on average a stone per month on SW, which quite amazed me, didnt realise that "real" people could get losses like that on non-VLCD diets.

Like I said, I am still deciding on what to do, I may try it for couple of weeks to see how it goes. After reading what I have put in this message, and bearing in mind I want to lose 7 stone again (asap if possible) what do you think I should do ? What would you do if in this position ? Your thoughts and opinions needed please. Thanks.

I really love Slimming World because you can actually eat decent portions!! Its a way of life for me, not a diet x

Hi,

I have been doing Slimming World for 2 weeks now. I lost 7lb first week and I am on track for another 7lb week 2. Which will mnean 1stone in 2 week! :)

It is my first couple of weeks, so most will prob be water, I am sure it will slow down a little next week! But its a great fast start!

Plus as already mentioned, you dont need to weigh things and can eat quite big portions! You can also enjoy carbs (pasta / Potatoe) totally free!! :)

I'm thinking of joining too .... i reckon i have 4 stone to lose so its now or never time :} lost 4 stone on sw years ago, they do say it's easier for us blokies though

Don't expect constant weightlosses of 1 stone a month. SW is more about loosing the weight at a healthy rate whilst re-educating you to eat healthily. Would guess at about a year for 7 stone but could take less time or longer.

I can't compare to other diets as I picked slimming world as my daughter had joined an she was losing weight big time. When she came for dinner I was shocked at what she could eat and she can pack it away :)
Sw has taught me how to cook differently, what foods must be reduced and expanded my quite limited diet. I still have fry ups, Sunday roasts, chips, etc all quite normal family dinners.
I lost 3 1/2 stone in 6 months, I was quite strict with myself, but always had one blow out meal a week, normally a take away :)
You need to find what works for you, what are your current eating habits, who does the cooking, etc
It worked for me, and there is no reason it shouldn't work for you :)

I have looked at my friends book that she lent me and, to be honest, I can't believe how much and what types of food are classed as "free" foods on the Extra Easy plan. It just seems a bit "too good to be true." Like, if I cut out most of the choc, crisps etc.. that I am eating at the mo and just eat like I would normally do, I would get through the whole day without having any "syns," I think. It just seems like you can eat the things that you thought were fatty foods and that you shouldn't eat when you are dieting.

Sw is really the most easiest diet i have done as i can eat till i am full and have a treat and still lose weight. For me i tend to lose weight slowly but atleast i'm losing it and not putting it on like i was before sw x

When I started SW I really didn't think it would work. Being 'unlimited' on so many foods that I like just wouldn't work would it ? But it did. However I would really encourage you not to see this as a race. I promise you that you will feel so much better about yourself long before you lose 7 stone. Your experiences in the past will have shown you that what is more important than losing the weight is keeping it off. I suspect that you would lose quite quickly (most men do) and it is certainly possible to lose a stone per month (I did for the first 2-3 months) but I wouldn't expect it. I would also encourage you to use your syns - it makes the plan sustainable and keeps me going.

However 11 months later, I have not regretted a single moment or penny of SW.

Good luck.

Gail x

paul1978 said:
I have looked at my friends book that she lent me and, to be honest, I can't believe how much and what types of food are classed as "free" foods on the Extra Easy plan. It just seems a bit "too good to be true." Like, if I cut out most of the choc, crisps etc.. that I am eating at the mo and just eat like I would normally do, I would get through the whole day without having any "syns," I think. It just seems like you can eat the things that you thought were fatty foods and that you shouldn't eat when you are dieting.

Don't try to do it without eating the allowed syns, you need them to keep your metabolism active, and to stop you feeling like you're going without.

I'm trying to think of this as a 'real life' diet, where you don't have to be either on or off plan, just some days require more syns than others!!

Hi I started 2 weeks ago and have lost 6lb so far. Obviously it will slow down a bit but from previous experience (I have done this diet before) you do get a steady loss and more importantly you are eating normal food and normal portions. I can honestly say I never feel hungry. Having done the Cambridge diet myself this is FAR superior. x

Back