Newbie to MiniMins (not to dieting)

Layni

Hi,

I'm 45. Currently paying SW £4.95 a week to tell me I'm putting weight on, also on Xenical (Orlistat) which I don't actually take. I have many reasons to feel motivated to lose weight and yet I don't seem able to get there.

I'm thinking of removing myself from the world of food altogether and going on a VLCD.

Also about to be told I'm diabetic. I've had two blood tests which both say I am but the doctor's sending me for a third. Just to be sure.

Oh, and just for a laugh, I work at Cadbury's :eek:. I'm also an Avon rep and sales leader, and I'm doing a degree with the Open University.

Hello everyone, I'm seeing lots of impressive weight loss stats which may actually motivate me. Nice to be here.

Layni.

Hi Layni, Welcome to the forum.
Lots of very nice people on here who are ready to support you whatever you decide to do.
It's great that you have actually been able to get the Orlistat as it is very hard to find at the mo'. I have ended up buying the Alli which is expensive and only half the dose size. I am finding it a great help too.

Hope you get into your dieting altho' you do not say how much weight you have to lose.
Do start your own diary as this will help people to find you to give you support and encouragenment.

What OU course are you doing?
There are quite a few on here that are doing OU courses as well as myself.
Btw am also diabetic but not on any meds just diet controlled.
My course is the W100 Law....:rolleyes:

All the very best to you..:)

Hi Emmaline,

Law, wow! not done that one. I'm currently on T306 Managing Complexity. I'll be going back to a level 1 though. My next courses after this one are three design & innovation courses (L1, L2 and L3). I've also done 7 short science courses and a couple of business courses. I'm a bit of an OU addict.

I think I weigh about 190 lb.

E.

Hi Layni and Emmaline :wave_cry:

Just wanted to say I'm also a newbie and am about to embark on my second OU course which starts 1st May: B291 Financial Accounting.

I started SW a week ago, seem to have got to grips with it ok and was pleased with my first loss although I have to admit to being a bit sceptical about the amount of "unlimited" carbohydrates you're allowed to have. After the first couple of days gorging myself on HUGE portions of rice and pasta I found that I became a bit blocked up and felt really huge and bloated (more so than usual) so I curbed the amount of carbs I was eating and I feel loads better for it. Maybe something similar is happening with you I don't know?

I don't think I could cope working at Cadbury's, I should think it represents the heaven and hell dichotomy of the perennial dieter.

Hopefully the forum will give you some inspiration but if not I'm sure it will happen for you when you're ready.

Andrea x

Last edited:
I have an OU degree. Sometimes it is worth changing diets. Perhaps now is the time to try something new. Good luck.

Irene xx

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. Here's an update...

I ditched SW as I seemed completely unable to lose weight (as I reduced the junk, my dinners got bigger!). Turns out, the pill I'm on for migraines "Pizotifen" is also sold under a different name as a WEIGHT GAIN drug. There are literally no words!!! I came off them immediately and have replaced them with a herbal alternative "Feverfew".

In the end, the third test came back and I don't have diabetes but it was pretty close. My doctor has since confirmed that I have arthritis in my knees. I asked for a referal to Doc Spot (a scheme between NHS and local gyms). I almost got on it but my blood pressure is currently too high.

My job at Cadbury has just been made permanent. I'm still thinking about a VLCD. I've been pricing them up. They're all so pricey when you still have to do a full shop for two other family members.

Layni.

Back