Newbie with SW chips question!

choc*fiend

Hi there, I was just wondering if it's possible to freeze slimming world chips, and cook them from frozen? And if so, at what stage would I freeze them and do I need to defrost them before cooking? I love eating them but find they take ages to make!

Also, I haven't been to SW for almost a year now, and will be going back next week so I'm sure it will all be explained to me then, but has the plan changed again? I did extra easy and loved it, I'm aware of green days and red days, but is there some new set up with puddings now as well?

Thanks for your help!

choc x

I do SW from home but don't think there's anything brand new - and I've not heard of anything to do with puddings - but there were a few small changes this year in regards to Healthy Extra weights and Syn value of a few things but fundamentally the same.

As for the chips, I haven't a clue. I don't find them that difficult to make though. I just bung a couple of baked potatoes in the micro for 8 mins, let them cool slightly and then cut them into wedges and into the oven with frylight and seasoning they go.

Huffpot said:
Thats a great way to do the chips Chipmunk - will definitely try that

I couldn't get them to go right any other way. Bow perfect every time.

I find they take no time at all. Cut the spuds into wedges (don't peel), throw in a bowl, spray with fry lite 10 sprays or so (doesn't matter really) grind in some salt and plenty of pepper, good stir so all coated well. Tip onto a baking tray, arrange onto their backs (skin side down - stops them sticking too badly) and bake for 25 mins at 180. Never bothered with the pre cooking bit, it just isn't required. Don't miss the salt out though really helps crisp them up ! Enjoy.

weewiz said:
I find they take no time at all. Cut the spuds into wedges (don't peel), throw in a bowl, spray with fry lite 10 sprays or so (doesn't matter really) grind in some salt and plenty of pepper, good stir so all coated well. Tip onto a baking tray, arrange onto their backs (skin side down - stops them sticking too badly) and bake for 25 mins at 180. Never bothered with the pre cooking bit, it just isn't required. Don't miss the salt out though really helps crisp them up ! Enjoy.

I don't even wash them, just wipe if dirty. Also adding crushed garlic with the salt and pepper is a good twist !

weewiz said:

I find they never go fluffy enough inside for me without precooking and always take ages!

Apparently you can prepare and freeze them though iv never done it myself as iv never any room in the freezer. From what I remembered, the lady had cut and par boiled them, left them to cool then then bunged them in the freezer, she cooked them from frozen.

I dont bother with all that though, i just get a jacket spud, chopp it into chunks (skin on) bung it in the Halogen Oven spray with frylight and season well with sea salt and they turn out perfect every time and dont take half as long as chips

Chipmunk - really good way of making the chips - I usually do the par boil method - but then they always fall apart - although my MIL has bought one of the new Tefal Actifry but doesn't like it - and is giving me a loan of it to see what I think - anyone else got one of these? They are pretty costly - just wondering if it is worth the expense????

girlygolightly said:
Chipmunk - really good way of making the chips - I usually do the par boil method - but then they always fall apart - although my MIL has bought one of the new Tefal Actifry but doesn't like it - and is giving me a loan of it to see what I think - anyone else got one of these? They are pretty costly - just wondering if it is worth the expense????

I haven't got one hut my MIL has and she loves it and I've seen rave reviews on here about it too.

I've got a acti fry and I love it even though I have only made chips in it so far! I've found with the acti fry I cut the chips abut chunky, wash, dry and put in. Spray well with fry light and turn on for 15 mins, respray and then leave for another 15 mins and then enjoy. Mmmmm could eat some just now! Think that's tea sorted for tomorrow!

Becca xx

Chipmunk89 said:
I couldn't get them to go right any other way. Bow perfect every time.

Now that sounds like great idea , so much faster than par boiling

sarah2952 said:
I am yet to try my first SW chips -but thanks to chipmunk will be trying her method 2moro!

Hope you enjoy.

When I started out nearly a year ago I read threads on how people made their chips but when I tried parboiling first, as people say they just fell apart. So I had a go at my own technique and it works every time, my fella loves them!

Preheat oven to 200 degrees (mines fan assisted so adjust accordingly)
Get a grill tray or baking tray and spray it all over with frylight.
Chop potatoes into rounds, so literally just slice them with skin still on. (make sure they aren't too thick or too thin)
Place them onto tray and then spray again generously with frylight.
Cook for 20/25 mins and they are perfect :)

Also done exactly same way if I decide to do wedge shapes instead, sweet potato wedges prob only need about 15 mins.

Back