NHS Diet review..inc Slimfast

Purple Hugs

Loves weight.. training!
Top 10 diets review - Live Well - NHS Choices

Slim-Fast diet

The Slim-Fast diet is a low-calorie meal replacement plan for people with a BMI of 25 and over. It uses Slim-Fast’s range of products. The plan recommends three snacks a day from an extensive list, including crisps and chocolate, two meal replacement shakes or bars and one regular meal, taken from a list of recipes on the Slim-Fast website. You can stay on the diet for as long as you want depending on your weight loss goal. Once reached, you’re advised to have one meal replacement shake a day, up to two low-fat snacks and two healthy meals. The plan is designed to help you lose about 1lb to 2lb a week and you can follow the diet for as long as you want.
Pros:
Meal-replacement diets can be effective at helping some people to lose weight and keep it off. The plan is convenient as the products take the guesswork out of portion control and calorie counting. No foods are forbidden although you are encouraged to eat lean protein, fruit and vegetables.
Cons:
On their own, meal-replacement diets do little to educate people about their eating habits and change their behaviour. There’s a risk of putting the weight back on again once you stop using the products. You may find it hard to get your 5 a day of fruit and veg without careful planning.
BDA verdict:
If you don’t like the taste of the meal replacement products, you won't stay with the plan. The Slim-Fast plan can be useful to kickstart your weight loss regime, but it’s important that you make full use of the online support to learn about the principles of healthy eating and how to manage everyday food and drink.

According to the website the snacks are 3 - hence the 3 2 1 aspect of the packaging..
3 snacks of 95 cals or less
2 meal replacements
1 meal

I think you'd need to research on their website - might just be to stop it being used by people with eating disorders. Could just be legalities.

I think you'd need to research on their website - might just be to stop it being used by people with eating disorders. Could just be legalities.

I imagine that is the reason why. Then again, if you are already under BMI of 25, you probably don't need to reduce your daily calorie intake as drastically as slim fast does for a 1-2lb a week loss. But then again, it doesn't tell you to stop once your BMI is 24, so I think it most likely is a legal thing.

Back