night eating disorder..

ColJack

Gold Member
so it was an insomnia night last night so I watched a lot of programs on sky2 called x-weighted families.
some american show where they follow fat families who want to lose weight...

apparently there's a disorder where people are hungry and eat late at night and don't feel hungry at breakfast..
this leads to weight gains since you're loading up on carbs and then staying more or less still for 8 hours..

there's a simple cure though, it's called breakfast...
if you eat breakfast even if you're not hungry it eventually shifts the times when you are hungry to the right times..

I love how americans first 'discover' night eating disorder, and then 'discover' the solution is what we're all told we should do anyway!

The american programmes always make me laugh, they just have no idea as a nation about healthy eating, but then having been to the country and seen their shops, it's not easy to buy fresh food - everything is processed and in mahoosive portions.

Thats actually how I put most of my weight on, and I bet I am not alone. I wouldnt eat in the mornings, rushing about getting the kids out and not having any sort of appetite, but then at night I would come out of the zombiefied pre-programmed state and eat like a pig, mostly rubbish because I didnt have any energy to cook proper food.

I think it's really common when you fall out of a regular routine, and not always easy to get back into one.

I watched that as well, they eat crap crap crap and then are surprised when the doc dramatically tells them "you're obese!" Noooo really?!

I just love the shock on peoples faces when they learn that all the orange fried food they eat is what made them fat.

'Gee-wiz, who would ever have thought that a meal made of meat, cheese, bread and potatoes all friend in bacon grease wouldn't be healthy?!'.

There was a programme on a few months ago called 'big meets bigger', where overweight people from the uk went to live with massively overweight people in different countries, and one woman in Greece who's 10 (I think) year old daughter weighed about 20 stone and the mum was blaming the little girl for being greedy. I loved it though when the dietician said 'no, you feed her, it's your fault. She's a child and your responsibility, it is not her fault you feed her too much unhealthy food'. Then the obese mum just fell asleep in the office in front of her!!

I think it's easy to make fun of people when we look into just a small part of their lives but it's actually rather sad that the education isn't there in a lot of cases. In the UK it's hard to ignore health warnings and recommendations yet most of us will have chosen to ignore them at some point. In other places healthy eating may not even be taught so they would be surprised to learn things that seem so obvious to us.

We all know that eating breakfast is really important but does everyone really know why? Often it's little things like this that some people miss, they understand they should but not necessarily the reason behind it. I've always known I should eat breakfast but spent 10 years not having any. I think I'm far more stupid than those who have never known it!

I was watching that too! I'm addicted to any kind of programme like that. Biggest Loser starts on TV here soon too. Can't wait for that!

Programmes about the morbidly obese make me feel better about myself - I'm not ashamed to say it!!

I must say I often find the quantities people consumed on their 'before' diet absolutely astronomical. It's a wonder people find time to go to the toilet amongst all the eating sometimes!!

I do find programmes like that both inspiring when they reclaim their lives, and frustrating where they make no effort.

I just love the shock on peoples faces when they learn that all the orange fried food they eat is what made them fat.

'Gee-wiz, who would ever have thought that a meal made of meat, cheese, bread and potatoes all friend in bacon grease wouldn't be healthy?!'.

There was a programme on a few months ago called 'big meets bigger', where overweight people from the uk went to live with massively overweight people in different countries, and one woman in Greece who's 10 (I think) year old daughter weighed about 20 stone and the mum was blaming the little girl for being greedy. I loved it though when the dietician said 'no, you feed her, it's your fault. She's a child and your responsibility, it is not her fault you feed her too much unhealthy food'. Then the obese mum just fell asleep in the office in front of her!!
I watched that a while ago too, it made me so angry that she just didnt seem to care about what she was doing to her daughter! And as far as I remember even after being told all of this they didnt change anything. That poor child probably won't make it to her mothers age if they keep it up, its so sad.
Although saying that I was a very fat child too... I think I was about 19 stone by the age of 13 or so :eek: I don't particularly blame my mum though when you think about it like that it probably wasn't just my fault

parent's don't like to see kids go hungry..
if they don't realise that a kid needs smaller portion sizes than an adult, they put larger portions than they need then make them clear their plates or they can't have pudding....!!!

saying that, it's not all the parents fault either..
My nephew wouldn't eat regular food most of the time, such that we actually had to make him a pizza for christmas dinner the once..

society is partly to blame as well with everything geared towards convenience so that both parents can work and then grab something out of the freezer or a takeaway on the way home etc..

That's true, but I think we all worry too much about people and kids going hungry. People aren't going to choose starvation over healthy food just because they want something else to eat. If the parents put their food down more then the kids would eat what they're told.

I think Kids are very clever at getting what they want from adults, and that they convince themselves they don't like foods, which then becomes more of an issue mentally, as they've told themselves they're not going to like it so they won't even try it. How many times have you seen kids gagging on programmes before the vegetable (or whatever it is) has even hit their tongue?!

It makes me sad when you see parents shovelling quavers into their kids in buggies for breakfast - it's just lazyness and introducing bad habits from an early age.

The thought of portion size for kids scares me - so easy to over-feed without realising it.

It makes me sad when you see parents shovelling quavers into their kids in buggies for breakfast - it's just lazyness and introducing bad habits from an early age.

totally agree with you on this one. parents need to take responsibilty for their kids.

i can see where i've learnt my eating habits from and i respond to my emotions by turning to food. i've also learnt to eat massive portions from my parents and i was a slim child who ate smaller portions growing up, but used to see my parents eating double/triple what i ate and then as i got older i wanted that too! as that's what adults do right?

learnt behaviours are very difficult to undo.

my friend introduced all sorts of strange food into her toddlers diet, such as olives, capers, etc. and he's now 4 and will pick cherry tomatoes over sweets any day. it wasn't a fluke either - her now 18 year old daughter is the same. she was fed alot of spices as a child and loves all sorts of healthy foods.

a friend of mine drinks lots of alcohol and can eat terribly, but she never craves masses of junk food and remains a size 10. she picksfruit up in the shops over chocolate/crisps, etc. her family love to cook from scratch and at school she was never fed cakes, biscuits or crisps - it was always something healthy with fruit and yogurt as her sweet.

I think it's easy to make fun of people when we look into just a small part of their lives but it's actually rather sad that the education isn't there in a lot of cases. In the UK it's hard to ignore health warnings and recommendations yet most of us will have chosen to ignore them at some point. In other places healthy eating may not even be taught so they would be surprised to learn things that seem so obvious to us.

We all know that eating breakfast is really important but does everyone really know why? Often it's little things like this that some people miss, they understand they should but not necessarily the reason behind it. I've always known I should eat breakfast but spent 10 years not having any. I think I'm far more stupid than those who have never known it!

I totally agree with you Laura.

Breakfast was always the meal I couldn't either until I started SW. It is still not the meal I look forward to most of all but have found a way round it. I have a yogurt and fruit within about an hour of getting up and then at around 11a.m. I have a herb or plain omelet. It works for me.

By the way Laura I have to say congratulations. You are doing so well. I see from your stats you have now lost 143.5lb . That is just fantastic.

My daughter is the same will fat anything except trees! Lol

I think restaurants have a lot of blame to take! We take our 3yr old out with us for dinner get her a child portion that is on the same size plate as ours with almost the same amount! I'm at the point of carrying a small plastic ikea plate with me for her!

Back