No disrespect to people who have had weight loss surgery but..

Yeah she's reached a size 14 and is maintaining it well

caroline g said:
Yeah she's reached a size 14 and is maintaining it well

Is that a healthy weight for her in comparison with her height as a 14 can be too big for most

She's got a little more to go to get down to a 12 and is still losing but a bit more slowly now but for 5ft 9 (like me) yes a 14 is a healthy weight. To be honest, in comparison to the starting weight of anyone who gets weight loss surgery on the NHS, a size 14 is pretty healthy.

caroline g said:
She's got a little more to go to get down to a 12 and is still losing but a bit more slowly now but for 5ft 9 (like me) yes a 14 is a healthy weight. To be honest, in comparison to the starting weight of anyone who gets weight loss surgery on the NHS, a size 14 is pretty healthy.

Good on her! Yes I agree. What I was aiming at was if your 5.1 and your a 14 that's not a healthy weight for someone. I recently read an article on a woman who had surgery free and got free surgery to get rid if the excess fat free a couple if years later cos she kept the weight off! Good on her x

Oh no I know, I got what you meant and I agree. I just meant that for most people, though a 14 isn't ideal, it's still far better than where they started. Though I don't have much knowledge of what weight a 5ft 1 size 14 person is so could be wrong there!

If you keep the weight off and maintain for, I think, at least a year you can qualify for surgery to have the excess fat removed but I think it's meant to be even harder to get that than the original surgery! I read an article about a guy who was about 21/22 who lost something like 15 stone and they refused to give him surgery to have the excess fat removed, even though he worked his butt off and lost that himself without their help. He said about how it was so bad he'd still have to wear t-shirts on the beach and stuff. You'd think seeing as he saved the NHS so much money they'd help him out! I hope I don't get to that point, not sure if I'd rather be fat or have lots of excess skin!

What I don't understand is when people are hugely over weight and are housebound and bed bound who keeps in feeding then? I read today about a girl had to have emergency services knock her front wall out to save her. So sad

We have all got ourselves into the situations we are in today. It sometimes takes a long long time to figure out and realise what needs to be done.

Personally I would never have weight loss surgery and I would never follow a VLCD. I think the only way to sustain weight loss/promote weight loss is healthy eating and exercise.

I hope I am here in a year/year and a halfs time maintaining with healthy eating.

I have therapy once a week and i've had it for nearly 2 years which is a seperate issue to my the diet i am on, but yes ive expressed how i feel to my therapist. Fair enough if you think its alarming :) like ive said its your opinion. I'm one of the most determind and strong minded people i know and i know i'll get to my goal for christmas of 11 stone and i'll work my but off 100x harder than i am now to keep my new body.

Good luck to everyone else on whatever weight loss journey they're on :D

Your initial post alarmed me because it is soooo easy to put the weight back on even if you feel during cambridge that you never will..... However seeing you are getting therapy is brilliant.... that is what will keep the weight off!!! Well done you

We have all got ourselves into the situations we are in today. It sometimes takes a long long time to figure out and realise what needs to be done.

Personally I would never have weight loss surgery and I would never follow a VLCD. I think the only way to sustain weight loss/promote weight loss is healthy eating and exercise.

I hope I am here in a year/year and a halfs time maintaining with healthy eating.

Its easy to say that if you only have a few stones to lose. If you have a massive amount to lose then VLCDs are sometimes the only realistic option.

If I'm honest I think that while everyone is entitled to their opinion, no one on this website is in a position to judge

We are all here for different reasons but we are all here because we are overweight. If it were really that simple to lose weight and maintain, why are these boards full of people who are struggling? (as well as those who are successful of course)

Our journeys to being 'fat' have all been different. Some people become addicted to food, some use food for comfort, some even use food as protection because they've been abused, and then there are those who simply like cakes;)

So if there are different reasons behind weight gain then doesn't ot make sense that there are different solutions? It always comes down to 'eat less move more' but again if it were that simple why are there so many diets available? What works for some doesn't work for others, a diet is useless unless you can stick to it.

So you've found a vlcd works for you? That's fantastic! you've unlocked the tools you need to get healthy, but that doesn't mean it's the answer for everyone. Some people can just 'eat less move more' quite easily and I'm sure they think vlcd's are ridiculous but does that change the fact that it works for you? Well the same can be said of surgery, maybe someone having surgery has exhausted all other options? Maybe they couldn't get on with a vlcd? I would never judge someone having surgery just as I would never judge someone doing weight watchers, everyone has to find their own path

Afterall if we all got here for different reasons then doesn't it make sense we all need a different solution? I just hope that everyone finds the path that works for them because we all deserve to be healthy and happy

Interesting discussion and very well said Loved - up. I would never want to judge anyone either.

I would also point out that I believe it's not 'the easy option', there are so many risks associated with this type of surgery & for many I'm sure it's the last resort for people who are just trying to get their life straight and have a little bit of happiness. We're all different and different stuff works for each of us. For me it's orlistat as it's retraining me to think about the fat content of every bit of food I eat and I'm hoping that's a healthy habit I'll continue when I (touch wood!) get to my long term goal.

Whatever weight loss method people use there'll always be some who'll be successful long term and others who will put weight back on. I'm thinking maybe the most successful long term are those who eat healthier, smaller portions of lower fat food rather than liquid replacements as it's all part of retraining yourself and getting used to good portion control. Not sure though, haven't read any studies into it, it's just my personal opinion but I would certainly be using whatever method worked best for me and worrying about the maintenance after!!!

I don't care who has surgery. :) or what diet you follow. As long as you don't harm yourself or others then it's no business of mine how you go about battling the bulge.

I do however currently object to NHS funded weight loss or cosmetic (following weight loss) surgery. That's purely down to me believing that NOBODY should get a free tummy tuck etc until we are properly caring for every single elderly or seriously ill patient we have. When there is money to spare for these surgeries then I have no issue as I firmly believe in live and let live. But presently I don't believe it's morally right to spend that kind of budget on it while dementia patients are dying of dehydration for want of nurse to hold a cup. Normally I wouldn't begrudge anyone something that will change their lives but I've recently been forced to see how dire the situation is in our dementia wards firsthand and do you know what? I treat my dog better than the NHS treats the elderly.

I don't object to the surgery .. I just mainly agree with legomom, just as I know someone whos had it (on the NHS) and hasn't changed their eating habits in the slightest and thats the part of it I don't agree with per say.
My grandad has dementia, last month he had a water infection and it took the doctor 3 days before she would even come out to him. It is really bad.

If I am honest I must say that I feel concerned like others, by your view that food is the enemy. As long as you hold this view you will never have a healthy relationship with it. This maybe fine for you but you need to develop a different relationship with food to be successful at maintaining. You may disagree, but the leading cause of bingeing and weight gain are the cycles of restriction and demonising food. If you keep telling yourself you can't have this or that because it's bad...then your mind will rebel and your body will follow. You surely cannot go through life hating food without breaking. Not criticizing just trying to help with a potential problem as I see it.

my mum had a bypass last year and I have matched her loss 1lb for lb, its not the quick fix ppl think it is. I was offered a referal 3 times. Just a point about ur comment about food being evil - food itself is necessary for life and in the right form can be a cure for most ailments. What is evil is the way the food industry mainpulates us to buy and make them money. there was a programme on BBC ( u can catch it on iplayer) called the men that made us fat. Well done on your loss. It's great you were able to turn your disapointment into determination :)

I am with you on this one Sinead, it might sound harsh but given that the surgery puts a large strain on your body, but also an overstretched NHS, if you aren't prepared to do 'your bit' and work very hard to change or at least moderate your eating habits, I am not sure that you deserve this free surgery, especially when there may be people trying really really hard to eat sensibly who are also waiting.

It is impossible to comment on the facts here because your friend for all we know goes home and eats leuttice for the other 23.5 hours of the day. But it would be a shame for her and for all the others out there waiting for an opearation like this to save their lives, if she had the surgery and then put all the weight back on by overeating.

It is great that you didn't succumb to the surgery and are doing it the 'hard' way - surely it is healthiest and happiest in the end. Well done for all your efforts. And I don't think there is anything wrong with branding fast food as 'evil' if that's what gets you to keep off it. I know someone who runs a stop smoking clinic, and the same techniques are used on ciggarettes, so why not pizza if that works for you? So long as you are viewing the healthy stuff as 'angelic'!!

Well i have to say my friends mum had a gastric bypass she lost 5 Stone whilst waiting for her op she lost that weight very easily on a Hosp prescribed diet she could have carried on but had the surgery anyway after surgery she went back to old habbits thinking a garlic butter Kiev was "healthy Lean chicken" like she was told to eat while she recovered and Eating a bag of quavers as a meal most days some people need educating on healthy Eating this woman will never ever eat propperly again and all because she wanted a quick fix something she wouldnt have needed with the right education with regards to a healthy balanced diet.
I am using slimming world as a tool to lose the weight it Is the nearest to normal healthy Eating i think you can get whilst dieting just making small changes to my habits. Thats what its all about changing old habits Eating healthy foods the majority of the time and getting more active . If you want to be thin you have to make changes to your lifestyle something Has to change for you to lose weight thats how it works

BigBurd said:
my mum had a bypass last year and I have matched her loss 1lb for lb, its not the quick fix ppl think it is. I was offered a referal 3 times. Just a point about ur comment about food being evil - food itself is necessary for life and in the right form can be a cure for most ailments. What is evil is the way the food industry mainpulates us to buy and make them money. there was a programme on BBC ( u can catch it on iplayer) called the men that made us fat. Well done on your loss. It's great you were able to turn your disapointment into determination :)

It was an interesting documentary and i will be watching next weeks episode

Back