No exercise in last 15 years!

Mr White

Hi Im 32 joined Slimming World in July and have now lost 2stone 4lb Ive joined a gym and go for my induction on saturday.

I have not exercised since school and im really serious I sit at a desk all day then come home and sit again.

Just wondering if anyone can recomend a gentle way to break myself in.

The gym im joining opens on saturday for the first time so went today for a tour and its impressive I just dont know how and what to start with.

My gut reaction is the exercise bike but there seemed so many there including ones with Facebook and TVs on wow didnt know they even did these.

Any thoughts guys ?

I would recommend the exercise bikes or cross-trainers are these are low impact on your joints. I would hope that when you go for your induction that they would offer to help you with a fitness plan. If they dont i am sure one of the gym instructors would be willing to help.
Good luck :)

Hi there

The best way to start is set some targets/goals and objectives. What do you want and when do you want it. Try and be specific and be honest. I have several goals, and set out over short, medium and long term. When you see how you progress it will help. If you can avoid the 'just want to be fitter' or 'slimmer'. What does that fitness look and feel like?

Once you have this you can create with the gym a plan - the more specific you are the better able to tailor it otherwise it will be generic and gym can create monotony. Better to have a series of targets.

Some of my targets

1. Run 5k under 25mins (short goal)
2. Run 8m x-country non stop (medium goal)
3. Bench press 30kg dumbell per arm (short goal, probably done today!)
4. Never own any clothing bigger than large (med goal)

Ive got a range of these (and they evolve) and whenever I wonder what to do I ask myself will doing this help me get where I want to.

They should be helpful enough to sort you out with a training plan, at the end of the day they want you to keep coming and paying them! (Bit cynical I know)

On another subject, you say you sit at desk all day, how do you get to work? Do you stay at desk at lunch time?
It maybe possible to vary your working day, ie go for a walk at lunchtime instead of sitting at desk? Or maybe walk to work or park further away so you have to walk 10 mins before getting into work.

Back