No going back!

southwestgirl

Well, here I go again. I have been on Atkins (or some other variation of low carb) so many times - in fact I've lost the same 10lb so many times that I'd have disappeared if I hadn't kept regaining it. My mistake? - to see it as 'a diet'.

This time, no going back, hence the title. This is how I eat, from now on.

I'm 56. I recently discovered that I have PCOS, and have probably had it for many years. It explains so much - irregular, light periods all my life - endometriosis - why I developed very high blood pressure in my mid-30's - why I've had two DVTs and also a PE that nearly killed me - and also it explains why the weight sticks to me like glue! Low carb is the only way forward for me.

For the moment I've put 10 stone 6lb as my goal, because that's where I hit the green zone on the British Heart Foundations' BMI chart. But when I felt best about myself - a very long time ago now! - I weighed 8 stone 3 or thereabouts - BMI 21 - so that would mean losing another 30lb on top of that.

Today -
B - protein shake, black coffee
L -MiM plus a bit of cheddar and some green salad, and a cappucino
Snack - 100ml homemade zero carb yogurt
D - chicken BLT plus a couple of glasses of red wine.

Hello SW girl, my my that is a reason to stick with low carbing!! Trust me it'll be the best thing you ever did for your body and health!!

Good luck and keep scribbling away here to keep on the straight and narrow!

It's the best way of eating (woe) ever!!

J x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hello Triage99 and thankyou. You are a nurse, I gather?

It is surprising how much better I feel already. Clothes are more comfortable, you know? Although I could wish the weight was coming off a bit faster. My husband is converted to low carbing too, he's lost 40lb since November and is looking so different - and for me it is just 9lb here on record since Feb, plus a few more before that, was not taking note of it then as I hadn't really decided to stick with it. Is just a bit frustrating each week when he's lost another two pounds and I have not, but I feel I'm lucky that I have not gained.

F

Last edited:
Hi southwest girl, welcome. If you ever feel like you struggling just pop in as the support here is great.

Well done on your new and fab life choice x.

Hi SW girl and welcome:). This a great lifestyle and as long as you relax and enjoy, it definitely becomes a woe vs diet. Know what you mean about men - dh lost all his weight in first 6 months and now has to eat dessert and cake just to maintain!

Doesnt really matter - im so happy, feel so good and love the food - huge pile of fabulous barbequed lamb chops last night;)

Shout if you need any help and good luck

Welcome SW Girl - anoying about blokes, they always lose faster on Atkins!

But as Katie says, keep plugging away and the weight will come off :)

Thankyou all!

Did not get on here yesterday, off on our narrowboat. But have stayed on the wagon, although nowhere near enough veg yesterday!

Yesterday -
B - boiled egg
L - fried sausage and egg
D - MiM with soft cheese and smoked salmon plus a bit of rocket.

This morning, protein shake for breakfast, no idea what's for lunch yet - bit of yogurt maybe as not feeling hungry at all, dinner will be burgers made with lamb mince, crumbled feta, spring onion and fresh herbs, plus purple sprouting broccoli.

And tomorrow morning I get on the scales.... :eek:

Lunch was indeed yummy!

Our boat is lovely - may be just a bit biased there! - we don't live aboard but we do spend as much time as possible on there. It is so lovely to be able to escape completely from 'civilisation' - we both just love being on the water. Lots of people are surprised how comfortable a boat can be - yes we do have a proper bathroom, the shower on board is actually better than the one at home, and we have a proper loo as well, none of those nasty chemical toilets. Central heating if needed as well, and the kitchen has everything you'd want including fridge, microwave, gas hob, and oven etc. We've even got a washing machine.

Fav thing is to sit at the front with my knitting and my kindle and the dog, watching the world go by. And then mooring up somewhere beautiful, and going for a lovely walk together. Then back to the boat and cook something nice for supper with a good bottle of red, and we always sleep so well on board too. Yes, a proper double bed.

Next fav thing is waking early in the morning on board and opening the side doors over the water, so beautiful with the mist just rising as the sun comes up, going out with the dog whilst everyone else is still asleep in their houses, and watching the kingfisher, then coming back for lovely coffee.

Can you tell I like being on the boat? :D

Oh it sounds wonderful! Know what you mean too about all the mod cons, they can be super comfy - like yours sounds :)

I would love a widebeam liveaboard, but moorings in London are like hen's teeth, sadly :(

Oh SWG life on the water sounds wonderful, we saw a kingfisher recently as we walked along our local canal towpath in the heart of the West Midlands, what a stunning bird and such a treat to see one

Sounds fab and i love life aboard normally - however while on the ferry back from isle of wight today i did decide that all the sailors out were nutters - me a fair weather sailor? Absolutely:D

Well I am not a happy bunny this morning, I have gained 2lb over the last week and I really don't know why. I have been drinking lots of water, and I haven't eaten anything carb-y at all, in fact I have stayed below 20 grams every day. I hate PCOS...... :mad:

I am sticking with it though.

I have PCOS too, among other things. Stick with it, low carb really is the best diet for PCOS.

Thankyou Moonlight, nice to know I'm not alone. Am a bit discouraged to be honest. But am still sticking with it.

B - protein shake
L - MiM toasted with cheese on top
D - mushroom omelette plus purple sprouting, little bit of yogurt afterwards.

And lots and lots of water.....!

Thinking about the 2lb gain - I did notice in Dr Briffa's book, he was talking about stress hormones and lack of sleep interfering with insulin response - it has been an incredibly stressful week and I am pretty short of sleep so maybe that's got something to do with it. Practising being calm here.... and imagining the scales saying 12 - 9 instead of 12 - 12.

Also think I am going to cut out the protein shake for the next few days, because it has sweetener in it, and see if that helps.

So, a sneaky extra weigh-in this morning, and woo hoo one of those mysterious gained pounds has gone - so I am now only 1lb up on my posted weight. So relieved! Things got a lot less stressy yesterday (family member for whom we are carers has been very ill in hospital with mental health problems, now improving at last) and I slept all afternoon, out like a light for two hours and felt much better for it.

This morning, no protein shake. Instead 2 hardboiled eggs plus mayo plus some broccoli shoots that I have growing in a tray on the kitchen windowsill, feel much fuller than after a shake, that's for sure. No idea what's for lunch or dinner, will have to have a think but right now cannot be bothered. Cheeseburger pie sounds like an easy option for this evening, maybe.

Feeling more positive generally, hopefully will be back down to 12-10 tomorrow or the next day.

Yaaay - sounds like it was water weight to me. I went up like 3lb at one point and was back down the next day. Salt or hormonal fluctuations, alcohol, all sorts of things cause those random bounces.

That extra pound from Tuesday morning's weigh-in is still with me, sigh.... but at least it hasn't been joined by any others. We did have lots of nice red wine last night, as it was my birthday, and I was relieved to find the scales saying exactly the same this morning. There will undoubtedly be more nice red wine tonight as it is my husband's birthday today - but I won't be able to get on the scales until we get back home, which is probably a good idea anyway - because we are off on the narrowboat shortly.

I've made some chicken tikka and also some scotch eggs which are baking at the moment - both of these look very promising. I think the scotch eggs in particular are going to be excellent. The idea is that I won't have to do much cooking and can be a lazy so-and-so.

Had a protein shake this morning, completely forgot that I wasn't going to have these, oops. Egg salad for lunch. Tonight we will have steak, not cooked by me, hooray.

I've noticed that my sense of taste seems to have adjusted - things that didn't use to taste sweet, ie milk, now taste so sweet that I just don't want them. And I used to love sweet things - not any more, I don't think I could actually eat a piece of cake, for instance. Would never have believed that one if someone had told me a year ago....

Right, need to pack the food and a bag for myself as well. And my knitting. :)

Evening swgirls - hbday for yesterday. Two taureans together - could be "interesting" - only because i'm one too...:)

Morning swg ... Love the sound if your narrow boat...

Just wondering whether the MIM might be stalling you too. I don't have your excuses of PCOS but most things can mess with my weight and flax is one of them. Some people manage to have half a few days a week...

Hope you have a good day x

Back