No syn Jambalaya!

Laura94B

Gold Member
Found a few recipes for Jambalaya as an old friend had suggested it a while back, and I'd still not got around to making it... I took all the best bits off of the recipes, and modified to make it slimming world friendly, and it was gorgeous!! I didn't add chorizo as it's high in syns, and I like any meals I make to be as low syn, or syn free, as possible! I also didn't add red peppers, as although they seem to be 'essential' to jambalaya, I've gone off them a bit, and in my opinion it really didn't need them! :D So here it is:

1tbsp olive oil (I used this as a HexB).
1 onion, chopped.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced.
1 large celery stick, chopped.
3-6 mushrooms (depending on size and preference), chopped.
3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped (or a can of chopped tomatoes).
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces.
3 bacon medallions (bacon with no fat), also cut into bite sized pieces.
1tbsp cajun seasoning.
350ml chicken or veg stock (I used veg.)
250g long grained rice.

Fry the chicken bits for 5-7 mins, until golden.
Remove the chicken, leaving the oil in the pan, and fry the onion for 3-4 mins until soft. Add the bacon, fry for 1 minute, and then add the mushrooms, celery, garlic and cajun spices and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Add the rice, chicken, stock and tomatoes - then cover and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.

Enioy! And feel free to modify it to however you want, like I did, but I found this to be reaallly yummy! Let me know how you get on with it :)

Sounds nice! I made my recipe version for the tasters night on Thursday, went in minutes, took my slow cooker to the class to keep it hot!I do use chorizo because I like the taste but no mushrooms, that's was cooking is all about, ingredients that you like.......

Jambalaya-5 (Small).JPG

That looks really nice! I was going to put bay leaves in mine, too, until I realised I'd already used them all :p I am definitely going to make it again, I may add peas, like you've done :)

I cooked this recipe today, only change was half each red and green pepper and it tastes incredible. Thanks for posting it's going to be a favourite.

Tracey

I cooked this recipe today, only change was half each red and green pepper and it tastes incredible. Thanks for posting it's going to be a favourite.

Tracey

Aw I'm so glad you liked it! It's a firm favourite of mine too, thanks so much for the feed back! I always love hearing what people think of my recipes :)

Here's my blog if you want some more lovely SW recipes: Recipes | The Ramblings of a Mad Woman x

Back