Non-meat eaters - iron??

littledolly

Hi all
I had a really unpleasant experience with cooking a chicken over the weekend, and really can't stomach any meat at all at the moment. However, I am slightly prone to low iron levels, so can anyone advise on what I should eat to replace the iron I am missing out on from not eating meat?
I am hoping this is a short-term thing, but at the moment, I wretch every time I think about meat, which is not good!

PS - I'm fine with fish!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Good sources of iron for vegetarians include wholegrain cereals and flours, leafy green vegetables, pulses such as lentils and kidney beans, and some dried fruits.

Chick peas, Bran Flakes, spinach, baked beans, boiled eggs, brocolli, brown rice and muesli can also contain iron.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The absorption of iron is influenced by other constituents of a meal.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Vitamin C greatly increases the absorption of iron. Foods rich in vitamin C include citrus fruits, green peppers, and fresh leafy green vegetables.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dark green veg - spinach, savoy cabbage
Lentils - red are particularly good, beans
Dried Apricots
Soy products (check the labels), Soymilk
Eggs
and wholegrains

Avoid tea with mealtimes as the tannin depletes the iron you can absorb

cereals are fortified with iron so thats something :)

Back