Not done exercise for a long while

Bethany246

Banned
Hi
I have not done any exercise for a long time i feel i need to start and tone up as well as slim down but i get out of breath easy due to my weight so how long doing exercise would you say to start off with . My problem areas are thighs stomach and hips will a rowing machine or exercise bike whittle away the fat on these areas. Or if anybody knows any other exercise machine for these areas.

Thanks

Hi Bethany

There's no way to target where you will lose the fat from, unfortunately. If you exercise a particular muscle that muscle will get bigger and stronger (assuming sufficient calorie/protein intake), but it won't affect fat loss in that area - you just have to keep plugging away with diet and cardio exercise to lose fat, and it will come off from wherever your body sees fit - not fair, is it? :rolleyes:

I'd start gently with some walking or swimming and light weights and then progress gradually to something a bit more intense as you feel stronger and fitter. You'll be surprised how quickly you will feel the benefits if you start exercising regularly!

Hi, I would try swimming as it works so much of your body and its gental on your bones also if you go nice and early (like I do) the pool is nearly empty!

Swimming works all over.....I do walking .....I have got myself a pedometer and post the results to Dizzy who then puts them on the steppers forum.

How are your feet when you walk anywhere? If they're fine then walking is the better way and free! If like me when I was heavier (still heavy, but was over 21st) my feet used to scream at me if I walked for 10 minutes so I got a mini-cycle instead. Like the bottom half of an exercise bike, you set it in front of your armchair and recline back while pedalling, watching TV. Start with 5 mins and increase by 2 mins every other day. 2 weeks later you're doing 15 mins, and a month on your doing 30 mins, which is all you need. By this point you'll be thinking of other exercises to add in ;)

Back