Not eating in the evening?

bugsbunny2000

Proud to be a LOSER :)
Hi,

I read that NOT eating after 6pm gives you better weight loss results. Anyone else find this??

I am only in the 3rd week... however i lost 4.5lbs in week 1 and 0.5lbs in week 2 and am sticking to my 26pp religiously! Only going over to my weeklies a little in first week and by 8 in the second week (and none this week!).

Problem is, I am at Uni all day Mon-Fri, and don't get back til about 5pm by which time I tend to grab my stuff and head to the gym. So I sometimes won't have dinner until 8/9pm!

Anybody find their weight loss is less when they eat later? Or have people found that it doesn't matter what time you eat?

Apparantly its fairly recently been documented that eating late has no bearing on weight loss :)

A few years ago my nutritionist told me that its better to eat before 6 because after your metabolsim begins to slow down and its better for your food to digest before sleeping because it slows down the process a lot, but theres no problem in eating later eithier, but not when your about to go to sleep. I have noticed that when i eat before 6 i feel that i have more energy to exercise later on in the day. I usually exercise at around 9pm for around an hour or so. It works for me but everyones different.

Good luck :)

i know this sound daft seeing as we,re trying to lose weight but are you eating enough i do exactly the same as you start off really well keeping to points/sins then when i stop losing weight i have nothing to cut back on,i started back w.w yesterday and my consultant said eat all pro points if i feel like it then cut back throughout the weeks?

I eat whenever I want .. Had my tea at 9 last night and a snack at 10!

The only time I eat my tea early is Tuesday night as I weigh Wednesday morning

Well done on your weight loss...... 5lb in 2 weeks is great.

I don't think it matters what time you eat, you're still eating the same amount of calories throughout the day. X

I dont eat passed 8 as I feel bloated when I go to bed! Plus I always feel heavier in the morning (not saying I am just feel it). I would think everyone is different

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If i had to stop eating at 6pm i think i would have to go to bed at 7! I usually eat dinner between 8 and 9pm and have something sweet before 10. I agree with lisa2, you're eating the same amount through the day so i don't think it would make too much difference.

I'm loosing ok and have my tea late every night.

I go to the gym after work and get my tea at about 7.30 ish. I have started having a lighter meal on a night like salmon salad and pitta, and I have a curly wurly every night as well.....

I cant eat before the gym it makes me feel sick x

My point exactly. I can't eat before gym, and obviously the classes i go to start and end at specific times I can't control. Will keep doing what I'm doing then :) thanks everyone for your comments x

not eating after 6 pm is a big, fat myth. Your metabolism doesn't slow down after 6, you still use your normal BMR in any moment of the day, even resting. A normal person with a basal metabolic rate of 1200 calories, let's say, would burn 400 calories during a night's sleep. Obviously during the day you burn a little bit more because you move, so you do gymnastics or you walk, watch telly, iron, etc... everything burns calories in addition to your basal metabolic rate. In fact, if you've eaten just before bed your body burns MORE than the usual 400 calories, because it burns calories in the effort of digesting the food you've eaten. The reason why they say to not eat late or before bed is because going to bed with a full stomach might prevent you from sleeping comfortably. A bad night of sleep would not only make you less alert and tired the day after but would also affect your ghrelin and leptin levels.

Leptin and ghrelin work in a kind of "checks and balances" system to control feelings of hunger and fullness, explains Michael Breus, PhD, a faculty member of the Atlanta School of Sleep Medicine and director of The Sleep Disorders Centers of Southeastern Lung Care in Atlanta. Ghrelin, which is produced in the gastrointestinal tract, stimulates appetite, while leptin, produced in fat cells, sends a signal to the brain when you are full.

So what's the connection to sleep? "When you don't get enough sleep, it drives leptin levels down, which means you don't feel as satisfied after you eat. Lack of sleep also causes ghrelin levels to rise, which means your appetite is stimulated, so you want more food," Breus tells WebMD.

The two combined, he says, can set the stage for overeating, which in turn may lead to weight gain.
Quotation from How Sleep Affects Your Weight

Back