Not going into Ketosis

Ive done several Ketosticks these last few days and Im apparently not in Ketosis. Im not that surprised actually as I have been hungrier the last fortnight and definitely a bit weaker/more tired. I dont have the metallic taste that I used as a guide. Unsure why I have come out of Ketosis as I honestly havent strayed one bit. The only cheats I have is a boiled egg or a chicken breast or small steak maybe 4 times a week (not every day, just when super hungry). I had trouble going into Ketosis at the beginning of Exante and had to drop to 20 carbs per day to go into Ketosis, maybe Ill try it again. This is strange, and frustrating!

Having blood test next week to check my stats!

I wouldn't rely on the ketostix, they're quite unreliable. If you've stuck to the diet and only had protein with it, then there's no reason you shouldn't be in ketosis.

Only cheat 4x a week... Sorry but I found this funny :D

It is a bit funny, because if you're cheating 4 days out of 7 then that's most of the time. You're better off having an extra pack if you're that hungry.

Hi Karen,

Had a quick read through your diary and you were one who took a long time to go into ketosis so maybe with your week of where you had alot of carbs etc your body was slow to come out of ketosis, and now will take a while to get back in?

Its not really cheating if i eat protein is it?! I call it cheating because it feels like a treat eating proper food and protein fills me up. Its a psychology trick that Im having something special :)

The Ketostix still say Im not in Ketosis. They were working before so it seems like a coincidence that ten in a row are not working. Also i dont have the Metallic taste in my mouth anymore and Im just so tired and hungry. It really doesnt feel like Im in Ketosis as Im on week 6 and recognise the signs now. Also, I havent lost a single pound since 25th March so thats two weeks + now and it isnt budging :(

At a loss what to do next. I feel like Im just starting the diet all over again, why would it stop working when my diet hasnt changed in the last 3 weeks?! So strange. I did struggle at the beginning and reduced my my food packs to one a day + protein (theres a 20g carb/day Atkins drastic diet starter for people struggling to go into Ketosis so i used same principle/theory) and it seemed to work and i gradually increased to three packs. However I have probably not been on 3 packs that much overall, maybe thats why, grrrr. Im currently on 2 packs a day and protein so see what difference that makes, but Im visiting my parents this weekend so my friend told me to have a food break. She said I might as well eat carbs if Im not in Ketosis but I havent decided. Im nearing week 3 anyway so maybe a few days of light carbs will reset things for next week. Im not going to go crazy but i think I might have a drink (vodka). I havent had alcohol in so long and im really stressed out at work!! :)

Anyway, im still determined and disciplined, and not about to undo all my hard work. Thanks for all your messages and support, really appreciate it!! Well done on your losses!!

If you're doing Total Solution then I'm afraid anything that's not a shake/soup/bar IS really cheating because that's not the way the diet was designed. If you're doing Working Solution you still need to have 3 packs a day plus protein. If you're only having 1 or 2 packs a day your body is going to be majorly lacking in nutrients it needs. And what protein are you having? It really needs to be white meat and fish, red meat is high in fats. You can't follow Atkins rules, it's a different kind of diet. It's not JUST about the carb amounts, not all protein is equal. Obviously something you're doing isnt working or you'd be losing weight and going into ketosis. Even something as small as having chewing gum can keep you out of ketosis. You need to re-examine everything you're putting in your mouth. And your total amount of calories from food needs to a maximum of 400 calories if you're doing Working Solution. There are lots of recipes on the Exante site and you can find some on this forum and elsewhere http://www.exantediet.com/recipes/category/working-solution/.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but if you were doing the diet as it was designed you'd be in ketosis and you'd be losing weight and you wouldn't need that extra protein, the packs would fill you up. Changing it to suit you doesn't work. If you can't follow the plan as it's designed maybe Exante isn't the diet for you and something else food-based will work better.

As for what your friend said, dont listen to her. You have to decide for yourself, dont let others tell you what you should or shouldn't eat, you need to be responsible for your food intake and if it's important enough for you to lose the weight then you shouldn't let someone else sidetrack you.

Hmmm I see you points about cheating on Exante. My understanding is that actually you can eat protein on a ketosis diet. Maybe not on the Exante diet if we are being concise and maybe I have not been following the Exante diet strictly enough this last two weeks, I agree. When I was in full ketosis I stuck to Exante and didnt need protein, but now the reason i am eating the protein is because even on 3 packs a day, Im so hungry because Im not in ketosis. I am using pure willpower to stick to 2 packs a day + protein to get myself back into it. I will drop the protein when Im back in Ketosis if I can stay in Ketosis on 3 packs a day. My gut instinct is the 60g carbs is too high for me so if Im on 2 packs a day i should eat extra protein. Im def not following Atkins, I simply used that as a example of the science behind it to explain that I didnt just do it guessing without any research. Ive researched Ketosis and understand the science behind it. Other people who have struggled going into Ketosis have had to reduce their carbs limit too. Its just how it works. It is not necessarily that Im doing something wrong, its just that for my body it isnt working.... yet!! I will find a combi that does work for me! Everyone is different.

I only drink black coffee, water, Exante drinks or coke zero. I dont have any chewing gum. The only other thing that Ive been putting into my mouth is extra vitamins which Ive always taken pre-Exante and were not an issue at the beginning when I started. I have a Calcium and B12 deficiency so need to take them. I agree something is not working but I dont think that I have been approaching the science behind Ketosis wrong. I haven't decided if i will take my 3 week food break now or not, thats why i havent decided not because of what my friend said. My friend was joking about me eating carbs - its irony (because Im not in Ketosis) :) As I said at the bottom of my email I am disciplined and Im not getting sidetracked, Im simply approaching week 7 and its time for a food break anyway so its my choice to do what feels right for me.

Anyway, as I write this I detect a bit of the good ol' metallic taste so hopefully my plan has worked and I wake up buzzing :)

Sorry if I sound harsh, but if you were doing the diet as it was designed you'd be in ketosis and you'd be losing weight and you wouldn't need that extra protein, the packs would fill you up. Changing it to suit you doesn't work. If you can't follow the plan as it's designed maybe Exante isn't the diet for you and something else food-based will work better. QUOTE]

No, thats the whole point, when I stick to the diet of 3 packs a day it is a struggle to go into Ketosis and stay there. No two people are the same. The diet is designed for the majority of the population, doesnt mean it is guaranteed to work for everyone. The human body is not that simple.

I hope you make it into ketosis. It really is not the same for everyone. I struggle to get into ketosis too (and when on the plan I am sole source) and it is really emotionally draining to be hungry for weeks at a time. Whatever you decide make sure you are getting the nutrients you need to keep you healthy. Take care X

Maybe try lipotrim - I think that works for everyone.

Back