Not Happy Halloween

Shirleen

Gold Member
We don't indulge in Halloween, my kids have never dressed up to knock on doors. We don't decorate our house and its just another day.
So I object to having to choose whether to go out, pretend to go out or buy sweets for something I have no interest in!
Our house was egged two years running too. I just wish people would only knock the houses that have decorated!

Me too!

I haven't got anything against it as such, but don't think it's any excuse to intrude on people's time and space. Egging people's houses is just not on, and it makes me feel really sad and angry that it;s something that happens. We don't get any of that (touch wood) on my street.

These days, certainly round us, kids only go to houses which are decorated or have a pumpkin in the window.

I don't mind it, as long as the kids make an effort and dress up rather than just put a mask on.

We are going out but I will leave a bowl of sweets at the front door for any kids who come down our street.

My daughter always went out so I like to do my bit for the little ones round us :)

Halloween has taken off so much over the last few years but I fully understand how people can not like it, it's just gone all American recently.

I love the fun of Halloween, everyone dressing up and having parties etc but I have to say (and maybe it's just how I was brought up) that I don't agree with trick or treating. When I was younger I ALWAYS wanted to do it and was never allowed, even though my mum let me have parties and dress up. She always was of the opinion it was 'rude' and as it wasn't something that everyone got involved in it wasn't our place to go and disturb them.

What I find most annoying is when kids literally come to the door and say trick or treat. Jog on. If you want me to even entertain the idea of providing you with sweets you at least need to make an effort.

I lived in Canada for 8 years as a child Halloween was really good but everyone took part. We didnt egg any houses though we used to use dry soap and rub it on windows(hard to get off) I feel really naughty for saying that aaaaagggghhhh

And I thought it was just me!! I just think it is a pointless waste of time. I don't care if other people want to do it, just stay away from me. We used to get people coming round here, but now we have security locks on the external doors to the flats so they can't get in.

And throwing eggs at people's houses is criminal damage and should be treated as such!!

I don't answer the door. I don't mind little kids dressed up but when it's teenagers just trying to beg a few quid they can bugger off!

I love Halloween but when we take little one out we make sure we go to the houses which are inviting trick or treaters (the ones which are decorated) egging houses is disgusting and I'd make sure when little one is older and going out on his own that he had more respect then to do that. Luckily around here lots of people are into it so there are plenty of houses for children to go to which obviously want people to come knocking.

My intercom will be switched off and ill be ignoring anyone who comes to the door.

Thankfully the angle my windows are makes it impossible to see from ground level if the blinds are down or there are lights on/off

i've got a spy hole so can vet who's at the door :D
What a bunch of miserable sods we are!

My little boy has been bought an assortment of costumes from his grandma for both him and his teddy, she will be the only one we will be Trick or Treating and that will be done via skype as she lives over the other side of the country.

I live in a fairly rough part of the city and in a block of flats so my intercom will also be turned off!

We only used to Trick or Treat people who were decorated and family/friends. I don't think my little one will be doing anything like that unless its family.

I don't agree with Trick or Treat either - it's just a form of begging IMHO. It's irritating that it's kids of all ages that I've never seen in my life before let alone, as Jaylou says, they can't even bother to make an effort at dressing up. We generally ignore the bell or knocking but a colleague takes her small kids out but only to the immediate neighbours that she's already checked they don't mind.

When I was a kid we used to have mini parties at home called 'Duck Apple' where we'd, yes, duck for apples in a bowl of water, jump up to bite hanging sweets (little penny arrow bars) jangling from a string between my mum & dad & other such silly harmless games like that.

Minimunchkins said:
I don't agree with Trick or Treat either - it's just a form of begging IMHO. It's irritating that it's kids of all ages that I've never seen in my life before let alone, as Jaylou says, they can't even bother to make an effort at dressing up. We generally ignore the bell or knocking but a colleague takes her small kids out but only to the immediate neighbours that she's already checked they don't mind.

When I was a kid we used to have mini parties at home called 'Duck Apple' where we'd, yes, duck for apples in a bowl of water, jump up to bite hanging sweets (little penny arrow bars) jangling from a string between my mum & dad & other such silly harmless games like that.

I agree x

One of my local pub landlords with a huge garden is putting on a FREE kids / parents party in a marquee. He's bought loads of decorations, including a life size broom that dances around and cackles. I shall redirect people to there!! lol

Generally I don't dislike getting a few trick or treaters, it only tends to be tots brought round by their parents where I live.

however, last night I was rushing beyond belief as I had to be in and back out of the house in about 20 minutes. I was running around getting ready and I saw some trick or treaters coming up the path and I just closed the curtains. Think they got the message, cos they didn't even knock... :ashamed0005:

I saw lots of littlies out with parents. They were all dressed up (and most of the parents as well). They seemed to be in and out of each others houses, and not knocking unless they knew people. I don't suppose it was this considerate all over Cambridge - I'm just really lucky to live near (mostly) lovely people.

Back