not looking as heavy as i am!

cambridge*diet*08

Silver Member
Just watching britains biggest loser (last weeks) and there are ladies around the same weight as me... Well I think they look much much much bigger than me!
I've been told before I don't look as heavy as I actually am (whether slimmer or fatter) but jeez these ladies look much bigger than me... Or am I just deluded?! Maybe i'm in denial.
I was 17,3 just after having my baby (I'm 5'3") and am now 15,8. I need to be around 10,7.
The 17 stone ladies look 17 stone but I never felt like I was that big. Is this possible? Does anyone else not look as heavy as they are? Can someone naturally be heavier? I mean heavy bones?
Hope no one is offended by this, it's not my intention I'm just confuzzled!!!!!
Maybe I'll post a pic later for some honest opinions xxx

Hi CD08 --

Congrats on the baby! And, of course, the losses.

Television really does add weight to a person's image -- so, in person, they might not look as a heavy as they do on the tele.

Also, how you dress and carry yourself makes a difference in how you appear. I can "lose" weight by wearing long balck trousers with higer heels -- my legs look longer and I create a longer line, so I look slimmer. Dressing in similar tones top to bottom thins your look. hair up makes your nect look longer, etc.

If it was an early episode in the series -- then the producers want the contestants to look as fat and awful as possible, so the rend result will be just that much more impressive.

When I tell people how much I weigh -- they often say something like you don't look like you weigh that much. I respond with what I think is the truth: Most people lie about their weight, so no one really knows how much 160 pounds looks like on someone 5'4".

In the US your weight is on your drivers' license. They should weigh people -- very few people weigh even close to what their drivers' licenses say! I know I don't -- but I will. ;)

Stay strong -- you're gonna be a yummy mummy soon!

MinnieMel

Good thread coz I often think this too!

:D

I was 17'9 when I begun ( horrendous pics in album) and think I looked more! I look effffin huge!

Ironically by goal I thought I looked less than what I actually weighed ... Odd

Yes do show us a pic and we will judge you!! Not horribly though x

Me too. I've always thought this and people who have found out how much I weigh never ever believe me. I was 17 stone 3 and 5'6.5 when I started and so the same weight as some of them on BL too, but no way was I that big.

I hope!

I always think this but I think im deluded. I look at myself in the mirror and think I don't look that fat but then I see photos of me and I look rank!! I have had before when I worked at a different job and had to get a uniform and the woman who ordered it for me didn't believe what size I was! She thought I was slimmer haha.

I think some people carry it better than others (I don't really carry it well) and it depends on how you dress for your shape etc.

When I was my heaviest (not pregnant weight) I was about 14 stone 6 (and I am only 5'4" if I fluff my hair and small framed).

I was soooo deluded -- I used to say that I "reverse" anorexia. I thought I was thinner and looked better than I actually did. Once in a while I would catch a glipse of myself in a shop window (I avoided mirrors, etc.) and would think, "Wow is she fat," Then realise it was me!

BTW -- to figure out your frame size measure your wrist. 6" or less (small), 7" medium and 8" large... so, I am almost exactly 6" a bit more -- so I am small to medium frame. And, frame size makes a big difference in how you carry weight.

MM

Yep, those bright, massive t shirts they wear on the show are far from flattering! They should get Gok Wan on there and they'd look thinner instantly ;)

I agree with this, but having lots of time to think about my own weight and my mind set, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a fantastic camera dodger, and spend minimum time in the mirror, so only have my older, thinner, memories to go off in my head.

I've just discovered I am heavier than I thought, well that's my bubble burst then. As for looking awful in pictures the higher up that the picture is taken the smaller you will look. I never take a picture of myself facing straight at the camera I look terrible!

In my mind I am still 8 and a half stone, although my body says otherwise. I think most of us forget or don't realise just how big we actually are it must be some kind of psychological supressing thingy that clever people talk about?

Lol, I think that I have the reverse body dysmorphia. I let myself get really big before I see that I don't look good anymore. I think that I'm fine now but I'm a stone or so off being anormal/healthy BMI. If I didn't get weighed I'd think that I'd reached goal already.

I'm pear shaped so think that I see my top half and deduce that I'm now slim (ish) rather than looking at my lower half, which is two dress sizes bigger.

I like to think that it is an optimistic outlook, seeing only the best in myself, but it has it's downfalls, i.e. Allowing myself to become obese before seeing a problem.

@Mocha -- You are doing so well. I am built the same as you. I gain from the thighs up (and some on the calves) and lose from the face down. Chest never changes much! (SIGH) So, I do not look too bad on the top -- but I have a huge bum and very chunky thighs. So, to be able to look even half decent in trousers, jeans, etc. I have to look a little emaciated in the face. (SIGH)

MM

Watching Britains Biggest Loser I had the same reaction as you. I literally spent the whole hour on the phone to a friend, while we commented on their weights in relation to ours. We decided they were actually 3 stone heavier than they said (we don't know how, but it must be). I would like to think there was no way I was as big as some of them. We also thought some of them had quite thin legs while being top heavy which made them look bigger.... honestly a good 50 minute discussion went on over this.

cambridge*diet*08 said:
Just watching britains biggest loser (last weeks) and there are ladies around the same weight as me... Well I think they look much much much bigger than me!
I've been told before I don't look as heavy as I actually am (whether slimmer or fatter) but jeez these ladies look much bigger than me... Or am I just deluded?! Maybe i'm in denial.
I was 17,3 just after having my baby (I'm 5'3") and am now 15,8. I need to be around 10,7.
The 17 stone ladies look 17 stone but I never felt like I was that big. Is this possible? Does anyone else not look as heavy as they are? Can someone naturally be heavier? I mean heavy bones?
Hope no one is offended by this, it's not my intention I'm just confuzzled!!!!!
Maybe I'll post a pic later for some honest opinions xxx

Hi there I'm exactly the same as you. When I tell people what weight I am (13st 8lbs) they are like 'don't be silly Emma theres no way u weigh that'..!! I'm quite broad in the shoulders and am quite lucky in that I have an hourglass shape so I tend to carry weight all over. When I watched the biggest loser last week (USA and UK) I thought exactly the same as you. But I suppose some people just carry their weight differently.
I definately don't think it's anything to do with the tv. When them folk are stood up there with their shorts and vest on, there really isn't alot that can be digitally enhanced. It's just all there for u to see. So just count urself lucky Hun that ur one of them people that can get away with carrying a few extra lbs. And I'm sure u are already a yummy mummy.!! Good luck with ur weight loss journey xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

People never believe I am the weight I am, it's all about how you carry it. My friend is the same weight but wears a size 20 as she is all boobs and tum....I have no boobs and carry weight all over, as opposed to one area.

Speaking of BL....making the women wear those little tops is mean !!!!!!

Hey Charley, the description of your friend sounds like me...all boobs and tum, even when I was going to the gym for a 30 min run/jog each night, eating very little and had BmI of 24 I was still an 18 on top and small 16 on bottom(even though bum and legs were far too big for me). x

I think that I never looked my weight, because I carry my weight evenly all over (sadly this also means it takes a long time to show a weight loss too - 2 stone per clothes size roughly). However, I reently found a photo of me at my heaviest and realised I was embarrassed by how big I was. I had got into a denial I think.

I will post my before photos (and my my most recent ones) in a mo so you can see what you think.

I thought I looked better then I did, as I used to get my nails done ect to hide the fact I was so big! Biggest I was I must of weighed 26stone! Tbh it was just little putting glitter on cow poop! I looked awful!

ATM I carry my weight all over, so it takes a while to go down sizes, but I am smaller on top then bottom, I have a big bum and really thick thighs!

Back