Not sure how to feel.

PinkToaster

Silver Member
Went to my first weigh in last night and lost 2lbs. I was expecting more for my first week, but I am happy with that.

However, when I showed my food diary to my consultant, he told me I should cut down on my syns and aim for 10. I don't understand why he said this, as I've kept to 15 or under all week and have had a healthy loss.

I thought that you were supposed to have the 15 at first, and then cut down when you get stuck in a STS rut to kick start it again.

I think I'm gonna feel deprived without the extra 5 syns (cause it does make a difference.) I left the meeting feeling upset and wanting to reach for the chocolate. And I still feel that way :(

What does everyone think? Is he right?

Maybe that is just his opinion.
Some councilors advise sticking on 5 to 10 syns.
If I were you, I'd carry on doing what makes you happy and only cut back when your weight loss comes to a stand still.
Please don't feel upset and most certainly don't reach for that chocolate as comfort food! It will make matters worse.
Good luck. You are doing well, so just carry on sticking to what you feel is right for you.

Firstly a 2 pound loss in your first week is EXCELLENT! Don't be disappointed!

cutting down syns after only 1 week? Sorry but this sounds a bit drastic... I've been doing SW for over a year and have always had 15 syns a day...

Once you get closer to your target weight, you may think it's a good idea to cut back the syns if you are finding it harder to shift the last few pounds...

In the old days (!) most people were advised to work to 10 syns a day. Somewhere along the lines this has morphed into 15 but some consultants stick to the original advice. I was always 10 a day because it's what I was used to and continue to do so even though I've been at target for years. But my view would be if you are continuing to lose weight at a rate you are happy with then stick to 15 a day. And certainly i wouldn't think about reducing after one week :)

It does seem that some consultants say 15 and some say stick to 10 each day. Mine said 10 so thats what I started with. I agree that if you are happy working with 15 to stick with that, as long as the scales are heading in the right direction then great and if/when you get to a point where you are finding it hard to lose then maybe consider dropping it to 10. HTH hun, oh and btw - WELL DONE ON YOUR FAB LOSS!!!!

2lbs is great and it sounds like you didn't deprive youself to get it, so well done.

My consultant has advised me to have 10 and to be honest i'm quite happy with that, but thats just me, everyone has to do this plan in their own way and to achieve the results they are happy with.

Don't be disappointed with the result of your first weigh in, its fab. Well done again :D

Well done on losing 2lb :)

How about having 12.5 syns and seeing if you manage on that? I have always had 10 syns too, not 15.

Well done on your loss. If I were you I'd stick to what you are doing and see what happens at the next class. If you don't have a loss I would then maybe cut syns back, but I wouldn't cut them untill you have a few weeks of not loosing. Good luck and well done again.

I only lost 1.5 lbs in my first week! But I kept to 15 syns a day, and lost 5.5 lbs in my 2nd week. Do not feel like you have to cut back! My body definitely needs 2 weeks to show good weight loss, you could be the same.

Thankyou everybody. I was sticking to it today, but I had a bad day, plus it's my * week, so I came home starving and binged. :( I do feel bad. But I am going to draw a line under it and start afresh tomorrow.

Like jerrice, I also only lost one and a half in my first week and did feel disappointed at the time, but now I think Viva the slow losses! Well done for drawing a line under it all now and keep going!

In my grp we are advised to have 10 syns a day, thats what I have always done

xx

Back