Not sure quite what to call this?

LuhLuhLoser

4. 8. 15. 16. 23. 42.
Hey everyone,

Last night I was trying out some 'orange mash' (aka butternut squash, carrots and swede) but it went a bit watery so I had a few ideas.

I added some herbs and spices and a handful of breadcrumbs, and rolled out balls of the mixture in the rest of the breadcrumbs and baked them in the oven - they were so tasty and perfect for healthy side dish. They don't really have a name but this is the recipe!

Ingredients

Carrot and swede diced mix

Butternut squash
1 tsp of Chicken Bovril
1 tsp of Chilli powder
1 tsp of Paprika
1 tbs of Garlic powder
2 slices of Wholemeal bread (or 1 slice per person cooking for)
1 tbs of Mixed Herbs
Salt and pepper
Fry light

Process

Boil the vegetables in a pan until fully cooked and drain.

Blend or process the bread into bread crumbs with the mixed herbs.

Mash the vegetables with a potato masher, add a handful of breadcrumbs (leaving enough to cover for later) and add all the other herbs, spices and some salt and pepper (I'd imagine at this stage you could add or omit various things to personal taste).

Leave to cool down a little. Once cooler, using your hands, roll clumps of the mixture into ping pong ball sized balls and roll in the breadcrumb mix.

Place onto a baking tray sprayed with fry light. Keep doing this until you've got enough. I had 3 with my meal last night!

You're only really having about 1 slice of bread per person and they were really nice and flavoursome.

Also, if you've got any of the veg mix left you can keep it in the fridge and add some chicken stock to make a nice soup the next day!
:)

Hope that all made some sort of sense - if anyone can think of a name for them - let me know!

E

Veggie mash balls?
Orange mash balls?
Mixed veg balls?

either way they sound good...

Thanks! This recipe sounds yummy, i adore anything breaded. Plus its a sneaky way to get an extra veg portion into my day (I've always been a reluctant veg eater).

Back